Dent's Driver Shootout 2011

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
**Also posted in equipment pondering, was so long I thought I'd make my own thread for questions.

I went to golf town today to finally decide what kind of driver I wanted. I tested 7 drivers:

Titleist 910D2 w/ Diamana Kai'li 9.5* S
Callaway RAZR Hawk 9.5* S
Adams 9064LS w/ Aldila RIP 9.5* S
Nike VR Pro w/ Proj X 6.0 9.5*
Cobra S3 White w/ RIP Beta 9.5* S
Cleveland TL310 w/ Miyazaki 9.5* S
Nike Machspeed Black w/ Fubuki 9.5* S

Titleist 910D2

This driver looked great at address and for some reason to me it feels shorter and I feel much more in control than any driver out there on the market today. Sadly they didn't have the D3 so I had to settle for the D2 for testing purposes. I kept it on the stock settings and spent a good amount of time with this driver. When struck solidly this thing has a very hollow feeling but I feel it is pretty unresponsive. I usually couldn't tell exactly when I hit this thing pure or not. The head is a bit too big for my liking but that is also dependant on the classic pear shape of the driver that I am not a fan of when the head is monstrous. I ruled this driver out quickly because I was hitting it way too low and didn't get much carry. I know you can adjust it but I kept adjustability out of the equation.

Launch: 7-9*
Spin: 2700-3000RPM
Distance (tot.): 256-273

Callaway RAZR Hawk

Usually not a fan of the solid feeling Callaway delivers I had been recently intrigued by the feeling of the compact feeling this driver gives through long term testing. This driver gives a solid "thud" in your hands when struck nicely. I had been playing this driver on the course for a while and sadly got NO distance from this thing. The history I had with this driver made me toss this one to the side for later. Also the fact that I am stubborn and couldn't see myself playing Callaway. Numbers were good, but this thing just didn't WOW me.

(Can't remember numbers)

Adams 9064LS

I started off with this driver first and was pretty excited to hit it after long term testing at the course as well with this thing. I believe this one is an older model but still a goody. At address this is hands down the nicest looking driver on the market today. When this thing is in my hands I just glow with confidence. The shape of this driver is taller than it is wide and I actually really like it. It has a huge face and I have always been a fan of the black face. I have nothing but good interaction with the Aldila RIP shaft as well. This was the 2nd or 3rd best feeling driver that I tried today, but it was not producing the distance that the other drivers I tried were.

Launch: 11-14*
Spin: 3700-4100RPM
Distance (tot.): 245-265

Nike VR

I had been most excited to try this driver as I have never hit the VR before and have had great success with Nike drivers in the past (first a sasquatch and then gamed a dymo) I have technically owned nothing but Nike drivers during my time playing golf. Once again I came away impressed. I can describe the feel of this driver as a combo of the RAZR and the 910. It is a solid feeling driver and the "tour-like" shape makes you feel like you have little room for error. I was absolutely crushing this thing. I got the most distance out of it on stock settings as well. The feel was great and was so far the one I am taking home with me today. This driver was super easy to work around and I was hitting nice draws and fades on demand.

Launch: 10-12*
Spin: 3000-3300RPM
Distance (tot.): 276-296

Cobra S3 White

Thought I would broaden my search so I grabbed this driver. I thought I would like it but at address there is just TOO much white. The grip is one of the worst grips I have ever felt and even without sweaty hands this grip was sliding out of my hands. It's not a good feel and the shaft is very whippy even for a stiff. The chrome around the face is not appealing either. I didn't hit this driver very well and the feel wasn't anything impressive. I hit 4 shots with this thing and then threw it back.

Cleveland TL310

I am intrigued by the lightness of this driver but in my opinion this driver is a little too classic looking for me. The crown has a bit of sparkle in it and just doesn't look too great in my opinion. Reminds me of the older looking drivers and as well had the same shape. To expand on that actually even the feel of this driver felt a little too "tingy" for my liking. While I was putting some bombs out there I just couldn't dial in this driver as it was pretty inconsistent. I would hit a small hook and then the next shot bomb one out there. I didn't like the look of this driver either.

Launch: 9-11*
Spin: 3400-3700*
Distance (tot.): 264-283

Nike Machspeed Black

A little disappointed that I couldn't find a driver that I absolutely loved but satisfied and ready to put the Nike VR on order I took a quick look at the Machspeed Black driver before I walked out. I couldn't see myself playing it because of the larger size but when I put it in my hands it just looked and felt great. The grip is something else and has a bit of spikey/rough feeling to it. I felt like I could just bomb the thing ironically because of the larger head. I took it to the simulator and the first drive was just RIPPED. It only took me 6 balls to realize this is the driver I want. Only 6 balls and it was sold. I hit all 6 with a small baby draw, nice flight and all consistent distances and numbers. I take a look at the tape and I hit them all in the exact same spot. It looked like I only hit 1 ball. The feel is SUPER soft and responsive. I prefer all my clubs to deliver the softest feeling I can get and this suits me perfectly. Shot dispersion was minimal and the numbers were just flat out impressive. The feel is something I still can't get over sitting at home here.

Launch: 10-12*
Spin (avg.): 3129RPM
Distances: 294,288,283,297,281,279

Rankings (1 = Highest)

Feel

1) Nike Machspeed Black
2) Nike VR
3) Adams 9064LS
4) Titleist 910D2
5) Callaway Razr Hawk
6) Cleveland TL310
7) Cobra S3 White

Looks

1) Adams 9064LS
2) Nike VR
3) Callaway Razr Hawk
4) Nike Machspeed Black
5) Titleist 910D2
6) Cleveland TL310
7) Cobra S3 White

Distance

1) Nike VR
2) Nike Machspeed Black
3) Titleist 910
4) Cleveland TL310
5) Cobra S3 White
6) Callaway Razr Hawk
7) Adams 9064LS

Accuracy

1) Nike Machspeed Black
2) Titleist 910
3) Adams 9064LS
4) Callaway Razr Hawk
5) Cobra S3 White
6) Nike VR
7) Cleveland TL310

Overall (Based on Categories)

1) Nike Machspeed Black - 24 pts.
2) Nike VR - 21 pts.
3) Adams 9064LS - 18 pts.
4) Titleist 910D2 - 18 pts.
5) Callaway Razr Hawk - 14 pts.
6) Cleveland TL310 - 9 pts.
7) Cobra S3 White - 8 pts.

* I didn't include Swing Speed in the stats. This thing was all over the place. Usually it would give me a 98-104 reading and then at times skyrocket to 114-120 MPH.

**Thanks for reading. Any questions I'd love to answer them.

Looks like the Machspeed was #1 in distance to me, which would just increase the amount it won by.

Nice thread Dent. If those were my numbers I would have gone in the same direction. Enjoy the new driver man!

Sounds like you found the right stick there Dent, that's what it is all about.

Enjoy the driver. It is always fun to get a new club.

how did you arrive at the shafts you tested for each? any thoughts on how shafts played a role into the final decision? Did you try any other shafts for your top 2 nikes?

Nice write up Dent, thanks for sharing!

how did you arrive at the shafts you tested for each? any thoughts on how shafts played a role into the final decision? Did you try any other shafts for your top 2 nikes?

I couldn't go that deep into testing to switch out shafts in the Nike and compare the numbers (wish I could have though) but I surveyed mostly the stiffness of each shaft and how it felt in the swing. I found the stock fubuki, the PX 6.0 and the RIP had to have been my favourites. It is hard to pay attention to how the shaft affects performance when you are mostly focusing on the feel of the actual head. As far as looks, the matte black fubuki with the machspeed just looked deadly.

Sorry I couldn't answer better.

good stuff dent, glad you found the one

Good write up! It's a great feeling to find
the "one." Enjoy your new driver.

Excellent reviews on the drivers you tested. Is the Nike Machspeed Black the one for you or are you going to continue to test other drivers? I didn't see any Taylor Made drivers tested. Are you going to test any? Are you going to test any drivers which would allow you to test different shafts?

The Nike Machspeed Black does sound like the one for you. Again, great reviews.

Good analysis Dent. Now that you know what 'you' like, have you thought of taking your top 3-4 choices and getting fit? You might find another 15-20 yds....

Congrats on the new stick. Glad you went about choosing it the right way.

Great write up Dent! Was pulling for the VR when I saw what drivers you were testing :)

Excellent reviews on the drivers you tested. Is the Nike Machspeed Black the one for you or are you going to continue to test other drivers? I didn't see any Taylor Made drivers tested. Are you going to test any? Are you going to test any drivers which would allow you to test different shafts?

The Nike Machspeed Black does sound like the one for you. Again, great reviews.

I think I am set on the machspeed Canio. I have also done long term testing with both the R11 and SF 2.0 and wasn't a fan of either of them. The weighting in the R11 really throws me off and I just don't like the feel of either drivers.

Good analysis Dent. Now that you know what 'you' like, have you thought of taking your top 3-4 choices and getting fit? You might find another 15-20 yds....

You make a good point Oregon. I wish I had a place where I could get a nice driver fitting but the guys at golf town do a horrible and "not worth the money" job for fittings. I think I actually may call the Nike rep and see what extra info I can get to properly fit myself. I have a huge tournament coming up next week so this driver is a bit of a rush thing right now.

Very nice Dent numbers Dent. So when are you getting the Machspeed?

I was ready to purchase it at the store today but I can get the driver @ cost at our pro shop. I am going to put the order in tomorrow morning. I was taking a look at the shaft specs though and they really do not fit my swing. I am \going to talk to the head pro tomorrow about the shaft options and maybe do a shaft upgrade as well with the order to something that suits me a little better. Long story short tomorrow is the day I will throw the order in, but I don't think it will be in for a week or so.

Thanks for the review Dent. I game a 9064 now with a Miyazaki Dromos shaft. I really like that driver and I get decent distance numbers out of it when I hit it right. However since you are something of a fan of it and found the Nike more to your liking I am inclined to think I should give the Nike a try to see what I think.

Nice testing Dent. Just curious why you didn't hit an R11?

Edit...answer was in ponder thread...thanks!

Last edited:
Great write-up Dent, glad to hear you found what works best for you. Ironically, I just hit the Adam's you tried over the weekend with great results and that Black Nike was one of my favorites at last years outing last year.

Great read Dent! Glad you found your driver. I liked the Machspeed as well, although I personally get more consistent numbers with the R11. Congrats on finding your driver and man those are impressive numbers!

Dent glad you went and got tested and found something that fit you well. I like the machspeed as well and I hope you hit it great!

Back