Descent angle in fittings - how important?

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
After a variety of fittings, one of the parameters that really hit me that I have never really considered before but actually was one of the key elements that helped me make a decision on what irons to buy was descent angle. The combo of decent angle + spin creates what we perceive as stopping power in most cases. Didn't really bring that thought to the forefront until one of my fitters mentioned it in combination to the increased spin. So, my question to the THP community is when you got fitted for your irons or wedges, did descent angle get brought up by your fitter? Do you know what your current irons give you for descent angle? How important is that measurement to your iron or wedge buying decision?

I'll also add, do you have an ideal target for your irons for the angle?

Last edited:
This video with myself and the founder of Club Champion breaks down what each number means and he discusses this very thing in it.

I’ll need to rewatch this video, but what about a club would impact decent angle? Weight? I naively would think that is a characteristic of ones swing. Not something a club could influence.

I’ll need to rewatch this video, but what about a club would impact decent angle? Weight? I naively would think that is a characteristic of ones swing. Not something a club could influence.

The club's I went through during the first fitting had a pretty decent range of descent. If my Memory serves in range of 5-6 degrees between types of clubs. That can't be just swing.

Good info in that video. Answered a lot of my questions.

I asked my fitter about it at ECPC because I thought my spin #'s where a bit low, he assured me they would hold a green with out issue. I don't worry about it very much because I can get enough spin on the ball and hit a fairly high ball.

After a variety of fittings, one of the parameters that really hit me that I have never really considered before but actually was one of the key elements that helped me make a decision on what irons to buy was decent angle. The combo of decent angle + spin creates what we perceive as stopping power in most cases. Didn't really bring that thought to the forefront until one of my fitters mentioned it in combination to the increased spin. So, my question to the THP community is when you got fitted for your irons or wedges, did decent angle get brought up by your fitter? Do you know what your current irons give you for decent angle? How important is that measurement to your iron or wedge buying decision?

I'll also add, do you have an ideal target for your irons for the angle?

it’s one of the first things I look at when getting fit and big factor in deciding a set up. For me the ideal number was high 40’s to feel comfortable I can hold greens with my irons .

good info, I am always afraid to really swing like i do on the course during indoor swings be cause i pinch the ball so much, compressing it into he ground

Either the ball is launched high initially and will come down straighter or the ball is struck with backspin and the backspin puts the brakes on the ball kind of causing it to drop like that.

Some of these “modern” club designs compensate for the lower spin from lower loft and/or hotter face for higher launch and steeper descent angle. Either spin or angle in or both controls the ability to hold the ball on a green. A fitter will be working to help optimize controlling those approach shots. But it also depends on what a golfer wants out of a new set. At least that’s my take on this subject.

Some of these “modern” club designs compensate for the lower spin from lower loft and/or hotter face for higher launch and steeper descent angle. Either spin or angle in or both controls the ability to hold the ball on a green. A fitter will be working to help optimize controlling those approach shots. But it also depends on what a golfer wants out of a new set. At least that’s my take on this subject.

I agree with you. In the best case, you get both spin and descent angle. :) Below is my lower irons ( minus the wedges ) from my last gapping session. What stood out to me and what prompted me to post this thread was the descent/land angle on these things was nutty compared to the spin they have. At least I thought so. Not sure so interested in other's opinion on the results of these irons when it comes to the spin + angle combo.

So I put it to you THPers, relative to what you see in your own irons/fitting results, are these comparable to your own specs? This is on T200's at standard loft.

Gap Session - 12.30.2019 - 7i to PW.png

Back