Describe How It Became Your Favorite Brand

My first experience with golf was marked by a Callaway bertha 3w. My FIL and I had no idea how to play. He was recovering from a heart attack and stints being placed in his heart and wanted to do something to stay active. We found sets at a pawn shop and would go hit buckets of balls. That 3w stood out. We hit it for hours. As long as the drivers we were playing. I took a break from golf for a few years but when I came back, I found an old TM burner set and did okay with it. Then I discovered Callaway Preowned During a Black Friday sale. I traded in my older clubs and bought a X2 Hot driver, woods and irons. I fell in love! Still were the wrong lie and length but they played well.
Fast forward to joining THP and when seeing The Grandaddy for the first time with @Canadan and team going through golf euphoria and then snagging the belt. I wanted to be there. I wanted to experience this and the company that made it happen. After getting into the Grandaddy and meeting the people behind the equipment I love, it was a done deal. ChevLife

Last edited:
:cobra: has always been a favorite of mine. I seem to just hit their woods better. The were also the first "real" clubs I bought back in 2008. Everything else before was knock off type stuff. Then there's :bridgestone: and I got the chance to attend an event at their HQ, meet their wonderful staff and see the ball factory and their quality control. Seeing their passion not only towards their products but also towards their interaction towards me was mind blowing. Plus it doesn't hurt they make a great ball. Their clubs have been decent to me also and as long as they perform I won't be replacing them. I'm not one to change out alot so I see them being in the bag for a while, especially the custom fit irons.

I was a Taylormade guy due to the THP Kingdom Experience back in 2011.
My bag got filled with nothing but Taylormade gear.
Then I decided last year that it was time to upgrade my equipment and I started trying out other equipment.
Callaway stuff seemed to work better for me than the TMAG so to make sure, I got a fitting and sure enough, the Callaway gear won out. Now my bag is mostly full of Callaway.

Mizuno.....

I hated everything Mizuno and a lot of it had to do with Luke Donald and a bad experience with a mizuno baseball glove when I was in high school. I just felt like they were a third rate company and I got annoyed when Luke Donald was at the top of his game.

Turn around to 2019 and I tried the ST190 driver and I fell in love with everything the company did. The fairway woods were bombers and the drivers were the straightest I had played in years. It was all amazing and I can wait to see what they do next.

Oh and of course - THP helped push me toward the driver. I always rely on this place to help inform me and right by wrongs.

Titleist

It was always my favorite ball, but getting to go to the Titleist Experience and meet Eric and Josh and here the passion they have for Titleist was awesome. Listening to Eric talk about the ProV1 and the quality behind that product solidified my preference to continue playing it. They also have the coolest logo IMO.

I have always had a soft spot for :mizuno:because of how there clubs look. They are gorgeous pieces of artwork in the MP line and in the JPX line they are tech driven but by no means look “unpleasant” like some brands put out. Mizuno seems to go at the game by a more elegant way if I may say when designing clubs that flow through the design with no rough transitions. I am also a fan of Voshall and his passion towards the products he helped create, I’ve listened to many podcasts with him and have always been entertained by the stories in those.

My bag has been mostly Wilson all of my golfing life. I played tennis in high school and always played Wilson rackets. When I started playing golf with my buddies in college I asked my parents to buy me a set for Christmas and knowing nothing about equipment, I told them to pick up a Wilson box set from Dicks. I finally upgraded to a set of WS Di9 and have happily played them for many years. Swinging a Triton driver and loving it also.

Titleist has become my favorite brand. I was fit into some T300 irons late last year which I liked. I was lucky enough to be selected for the 2020 Titleist Vokey Experience and received 3 Vokey wedges. I was then fit for the new TSI2 drivers and FW woods. I also switched up my irons to a set of T200s. I love my current bag and I am playing some great golf with this set up.

I have been a fan of Adidas since I was little, so when I first started golfing I wanted Taylormade clubs, simply because of the relationship. As I learned more and read more on THP, I realized there were some great other options out there. What really got me to try Callaway was the interaction of their staff with THP and playing with Ethan in the Gauntlet. That level of connection and communication was unreal. On top of that they were great people. Then, actually trying the equipment I realized they make great products that really reach a broad range of skill levels and have a great amount of options with those. I've gradually gotten more and more Callaway in the bag since then, and am a huge fan of them as a company and their equipment.

I can’t wait to see some of the answers from those that played in both a Morgan Cup & a Grandaddy...
KEV did.
Quite a few have.

Since 2015 I've been all in on Callaway. The 2015 Grandaddy is something I still think back on today. Being able to tour the facility, meet the faces behind the brand, hear about how they conduct their R&D (for balls and clubs), and just seeing that they have the same passion for the game as we do. I may still tinker with other balls or clubs, but will usually look to Callaway first. The Odyssey Experience a few years later was a nice follow up, where I got to meet another group from Callaway (Sean Toulon, Austie Rollinson, Tony Toulon and Luke Williams), who I did not get to meet in 2015.

How can you not be a fan of UST Mamiya. The products are top notch and high quality. The staff including Danny are unbelievably generous with their time and attention to THPers. Their products perform. What’s not to like. I am a fan for life.

For a while I wanted to be all about Callaway. Loved the products, loved the marketing, and loved the people behind it all.

I don't know why, but I have sort of gone away from that the past couple years. Went from an all 14 bag, to maybe having 2-3 of their clubs in the bag right now. I still enjoy the brand, I just don't know that it is my favorite.

I really don't know if I actually do have a favorite right now. I want to love Mizuno, but can you really love it without playing any of their gear right now?

Callaway is the fav, but I'm definitely open to any good, interesting, or sexy products.

Callaway because they've given me so much, I know a bunch of people there, they consistently make great products, and I trust that they continue to push R&D.

:cobra: became my favorite by default because when I went in to buy my first set of decent clubs when I was a beginner the salesman put me in a set of the Baffler irons in senior flex. He said for the money these were the best I could get and not to be put off by the strange looks on some of the clubs. They would be easy to hit. And they were. He also set me up with Cobra Amp Cell driver and a 7W. My HC started at 40 and dropped to 25 that year. I took lessons and my coach said I needed iron upgrade because the shaft was getting a little whippy for me. My coach just swapped out the shafts on my Driver and 7W for regular, and I bought a set of BioCell irons which I kept until I went to the F9 One Lengths.

So :cobra: on the irons, FW, and hybrids for me. The FW... because Cobra 3Ws are the only ones I can hit off the deck with reasonable consistency.

I've taken others for test drives in shops and keep going back to what I know. I think that says everything.

But :callaway: now has me on drivers and wedges because out of all the brands I hit these the best, and :odyssey: on putters.

I have always had a mixed bag of clubs but the one company that stands out for me is ping. Currently only have the g410 driver in the bag but have used 4 different sets of Ping irons in the last 7 years and have loved them all with the iblade’s being my favourite by far. I am pretty sure the i59’s will be in my bag by the end of 2021. So I will say my all time favorite is Ping. Why are they my favourite I can’t really answer that.

I would be kidding myself if I didn’t have a soft spot for TM because of THP. I had an absolute blast at the 2019 speed injected event and met many great people that I now consider friends. It doesn’t hurt that their drivers do work well for me.

As for Cobra, Callaway, Mizuno, and Titleist I have used various clubs/iron sets from all of them over the years and have liked them all for various reasons. I will play anything that I like the look of and hit well

Last edited:
I used to be a full bag Ping guy for years, but I put some Mizuno Hot Metals in my bag in 2019 and was very happy with them. Fast forward to Monday where I played my first round with my new 921 Forged/ HMB combo, and it is so true that nothing feels like Mizuno. The feeling when you flush one is so awesome, and I cannot see myself ever leaving Mizuno for irons. I still love my Ping drivers, fairway, and hybrids though.

Wow tough one because mine is twofold.

Love Cobra. There stuff is top notch. Their staff is top notch. And the MC will always be memories I will cherish.

Have always loved Srixon irons since I first started playing and saw them. Just beautiful to my eye and from today’s iron clinic I put one for the back 9 I love them even more.

Back when they came out, I was a local golf shop and hit the mizuno mp32s into a net. Feel unlike anything I had ever hit before. From.that day on o was convinced Mizuno was the best of the best

And here we are I've just replaced my current mizuno irons with Ben Hogans. Thanks THP🤣🤣

I really liked my first purchase from GolfWorks... a Maltby 3h. After that, I was on their site a lot last winter when I got involved with club-making. I wanted something completely different than the local golf shop fitting and brand of clubs they offered. While the Maltby set I have now seems to be, it's not like all their clubs are a good fit. I still can't hit the first 6i I built. Maltby and Golfworks has been fair. Decent customer service and good prices.

When I read all the good reviews of Callaway and how they treat their customers, it makes me wonder if I could switch at some point.

As of this minute it is TItleist. They make great equipment, and IMO the best ball for my game. My best friend has a players contract with them and I grew up with my Dad playing TItleist.

But lately I have found myself looking through other threads here, listening to podcasts, seeing different brands with some pretty good engagement and on going relationships with forum members. It makes me want to support them as well. Pretty much always had a one brand bag (except ex10 beta 3wd and seemore putter won’t leave anytime soon.)

So I am going to build a 2021 bag with brands I feel sincerely engage and ones I haven’t played before. Not going to get rid of my current TItleist clubs, T100 are my favorite irons I’ve ever owned. But I am going to try to find a brand that ticks my boxes instead of what my Dad played or what my buddy plays. So I guess 2021 maybe the year I find my brand. Could be totally different or could stay the same.

Callaway was my favorite for years because I had played the brand for 20 years. They seem to really try to connect with the amateur golfer. I didn’t really know anyone at Callaway but just loved their brand.

Cobra is now my favorite because I love One Length and I met @LittleRat and @Master Yagley and feel I have a more personal connection with the company.

Historically I have started playing Taylormade, then Srixon/Cleveland then got selected for the ‘18 Morgan Cup and was introduced to Cobra for the first time and was not disappointed.

My current love affair is with Callaway as attested by the super customer service, awesome product & the great partnership with the THP community.

Played this past year with Epic Flash Sub Xero, Mavrik 5 wood, Mavrik 3 hybrid, Toulon SL Chicago, Odyssey SL Black Ten & the star of their 2019 iron lineup (IMO), the Apex Pro irons. I can say that every club did not disappoint and looking forward to expanding/updating my existing bag to have even more than Callaway goodness 😍😍😍.

PXG recently for substantial veterans discount and great service but also have to consider Mizuno that replaced a set of irons free due to finish issue no cost and Titleist for several positive experiences with clubs in past.

Back