Describe the sound you're looking for in a golf club

I guess for me it's super subjective, as long as I don't find the sound annoying, there isn't something in particular I'm looking for, more trying to avoid certain sounds that make me tilt my head and go hmm!

Interesting question and difficult to put into words, but I'll try....

Putter - Muted "Thick"
Irons - Solid "Chick"
Driver - Unobtrusive " Thock"

This is a really good question as I hear a lot of people talk about the sound in their clubs.

For me, I like a lower pitched thwack in my driver and almost no sound to a dull almost click from my irons. If I hit my irons well I usually don’t hear them.

Putter I actually like the soft sound off an insert, but prefer the roll off milling. So, I will go with a soft tick.

Pre-Hogan irons....I was in the camp of "sound? what's that and why on earth does that matter so much to some?" Then I spent real time with a forged club. I'll never be the same. My blind to sound from my previous irons was impossible to now unhear. I agree with the word that @Afizzle2100 used...a solid "ssssssswauck". No sense of click or clack.

Driver....My main gamer is an Epic Flash, so bring on the alarm announcing my presence on the driving range! I also have a BB21. It is very muted. Im trying to find my grove with both so the jury is out on which I prefer the best. I'm not sure it matters as much as the irons now do.

I started out playing persimmon drivers. That is the sound I like best.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I want the sound it makes when well struck. Don't really care about the pitch or quality of the sound itself. I care how it makes the ball go. Any club makes a different sound when well struck vs. poorly struck. So, I'll pay attention to that difference.

I like 'em quiet. I remember a Yonex graphite head driver I had years ago that was silent. Now I have a 'pingy" sounding old Nike driver and a newer quieter W-S driver., My W-S irons only make noise on a bad mishit. Putter is pretty quiet.

A smoothe, crispy, combo of "click/clank" is the best I can come up with.

I'm not much of a divot taker, so I'm listening for a crisp ball contact, follow by a good ball flight.

The only sound that I care about is the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup. If the balls flys well off the face I wouldn’t care if sounded like a watermelon falling off a roof. The sound a club makes is meaningless to me.

Driver - I like a solid more wooden/composite damped out tone, with some crack to it. Bonus points for feeling hot like a trampoline and heavy on the face. I’m rather averse to overly. metallic sounding drivers. Similar for fairways & hybrids.

Utility irons I love that fast face feel married with a soft forged frame. Soft fast is a good term here.

Irons - I’m a sucker for medium to soft one piece forged feel. Those pure struck heavy on the face feels. I don’t go for all our softness but a balance of plushness and brightness.

Putter - tend to prefer milled over inserts,and honestly get along with both deeper mills and subtle patterns. I like the variation from damped to bright, mixing it up.

For me sounds can vary from club to club, but what I really look for is a "long" sound. Meaning that the sound lasts and makes it feel like the ball was on the club face longer.

I rarely notice sound unless it is just incredibly good or bad. I think Taylormade drivers have a muted thwack that I like on well struck shots and the old Pings are way too loud, but anything is fine with me if it works.

I like irons that have a soft sound at impact when I find the middle. Most are fine but some have a clicky sound that I don't find pleasant. Work drivers I don't mind the sound of most unless they sound irritatingly loud

I want my driver to sound like a cannon as a warning to anyone in the next fairway to watch out.:D:D:D

I didn't think a driver could sound better than my M6. But My Mav SZ is pure sex.

I'm a big Ping driver guy, so I like the sound they make. I want my irons to not sound harsh, but muted, and my putter needs to sound and feel soft.

the bottom of the cup

It's kinda like trying to describe that sound your car is making to the mechanic, but....

Driver - I like a solid, muted "thwack" - the composite sound, as opposed to the ringy, metallic "clank".

Irons/wedges - a crisp but quiet "snick" that leaves no doubt it was a well struck shot.

Putter - a soft "clunk". I don't ever like a "click" or "clink" off my putter.

I might have to do these individually because I think they operate a bit differently.

For the driver, I want something incredibly solid sounding (no tin, nothing hollow) and manufactured sound is an instant turnoff (so basically anything that sounds elevated or overly loud).

The Cobra F9 Speedback was a spectacular sounding driver.

For irons, I want something relatively rich and definitely not clunky. Something that provides clear quality feedback on great strikes, and slightly less impressive sound on poorly struck shots.

I struggle with irons that have a variant of sound that draws attention away from metal. Some of the irons, even some of the more popular heads over the years, have been a turnoff due purely to sound.

Grain Flow Forged is a great start to this equation.

For the putter, I absolutely cannot get behind deep mill. I wish it was fine, but I want more contact sound especially with using a softer golf ball. The one condition that I usually support a softer sound is copper, especially in the insert, as I feel like it’s a bit quieter than steel.

That said, there are definitely different types of metals that promote a higher pitched contact sound, like a few Bettinardi’s I’ve used, and I’m not particularly into that - I had one with a bunch of mini sound slots on the sole and while I loved the putter, that tone was just a touch too high for my preference.

It’s fine. I am not picky at all.

Something that sounds like a rocket being launched in a hallway of supermodels.

Super loud is the best. Driver and 3 wood and irons. Super loud metal sound like you hitting a tin can lid with a hammer. Louder the better.

The only time I really notice the sound of clubs I’m playing us when I don’t hit it well.

Listening to others hit their clubs, I know what I don’t like when I hear it. If it’s overly clicky, clanky or metallic, I’ll pass. I like a somewhat muted sound throughout the bag.

I don’t care about sound at all. In fact, I can’t remember ever having any opinion about the sound of a club.

He hits drivers, irons, wedges...and then explains how he likes it to sound.
this basically sums up what I’m looking for. Key word being “looking” lol

Back