Describe your full swing golf grip.

Which selection best describes your grip?

• Yes, 2 knuckle with Vs aligned

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Vs do align, but weaker than 2 knuckle grip

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Vs do align, with stronger than 2 knuckle grip

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Non traditional where Vs do not align (please elaborate in the thread)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

H8tobogie

MC Team Hackers 2020
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been stubbornly trying to play with a traditional grip since getting back into the game... working hard to make the Vs match up between my left and right hands... and have learned that my hands just fight one another when I do this. I am curious, how do you all describe your full swing grip?

I play a very strong grip which can cause a little anxiety as I will have to fight the occasional pull or tug. I have tried usually a more neutral grip and have had some success, however the loss of distance is typically about a club and a half.

I play a very strong grip which can cause a little anxiety as I will have to fight the occasional pull or tug. I have tried usually a more neutral grip and have had some success, however the loss of distance is typically about a club and a half.
I have tried that and suffer with left of left at times. What I discovered for me is my right hand must be in a strong grip otherwise it will fight the release completely. Yet if I allow my left hand to match up, then I hit hooks. Yesterday at the range I was keeping my left hand in a very traditional 1.5 to 2 knuckle position that feels great to me and finally decided to just allow the right hand to go where it is comfortable - which is very strong. The result was an effortless release without going left.

I don't know what "V"s are, or what "2-knuckle," etc. are, but here's how I was taught by the pro at my LGS and essentially how True Motion teaches (this is for right-handers):

With club face properly addressing the ball and end of club handle pointing roughly at 2nd belt loop to the left (this was the golf pro at my LGS only)

Lay the grip on your left hand on the line along the creases between your palm and your fingers
Close your fingers
Close your palm
If you indexed your hand correctly, your thumb should point toward the club head, just slightly right of the shaft's center line
Lay your right hand atop your left such that your lifeline runs along your left hand's thumb
Grip (ten-finger, overlapped, interlocking: doesn't matter)
Right thumb, pointing toward club head, should be slightly left of the shaft center line

I can post a video of my grip, if desired.

I don't know what "V"s are, or what "2-knuckle," etc. are, but here's how I was taught by the pro at my LGS and essentially how True Motion teaches (this is for right-handers):

With club face properly addressing the ball and end of club handle pointing roughly at 2nd belt loop to the left (this was the golf pro at my LGS only)

Lay the grip on your left hand on the line along the creases between your palm and your fingers
Close your fingers
Close your palm
If you indexed your hand correctly, your thumb should point toward the club head, just slightly right of the shaft's center line
Lay your right hand atop your left such that your lifeline runs along your left hand's thumb
Grip (ten-finger, overlapped, interlocking: doesn't matter)
Right thumb, pointing toward club head, should be slightly left of the shaft center line

I can post a video of my grip, if desired.

This would be an example of how many knuckles you can see on the left hand. What many call a neutral grip would be seeing 2 knuckles (like the middle photo). More than 2 knuckles and the grip is considered strong. Less and it is weak (far left photo). The V is formed between the pointing finger and thumb on each hand - though we cannot see the V for the left hand in these pics. Seems many people teach that the Vs align and point between the chin and the right shoulder for a neutral grip and that allows the hands to work in unison. Like everything in golf, these are starting points and everyone is different.

1614969980072.png

Mine's closest to the left-hand photo (weak).

I don't know what "V"s are, or what "2-knuckle," etc.

glad it's not just me. lol

Still not sure how to answer, always pretty much lined thumbs up, which, if a quick google tells me what a "V" is means they are pointed in opposite directions.

glad it's not just me. lol

Still not sure how to answer, always pretty much lined thumbs up, which, if a quick google tells me what a "V" is means they are pointed in opposite directions.

👆
👆
2 posts up

best i can tell my left hand is fade and right hand draw.
That is exactly where I am starting to settle in after deciding I don't have to make the Vs align.

Back