Describe Your Town with Golf

I live in a small city (50K) in eastern Ontario that is surrounded by rural farming, wine country and lots of lakes. Within 30 minutes of my door there are at least 10 18 hole golf courses as well as a couple of nice 9 hole executive courses. The quality ranges from low end public to affordable semi-private courses. One of the courses ranks within top 70 Canada public courses and my home course resides next door. I would rate the top 5 courses as great quality and conditioning and terrific value for the money. For similar courses in Toronto you would probably pay double and tee times would be tight and typically long rounds. We are pretty fortunate although our season only lasts 6 months before winter beats us down.

As far as golf stores, this is where the locals have to head out of town for any quality or selection. The only major golf big box store in Ontario is Golftown and the closest one from my home town is roughly 45 minutes away. Not a huge store but staff is very good and usually not too busy so always can find a bay if you want to try something out.

One private 9 hole course that I know nothing about

One private golf course. It’s okay not very long from what I’ve heard. Pretty good conditions

Radiman's post reminded me that we also have an 18-hole Par 3 course with holes ranging from about 100 yards to 180ish.

My zip in Minneapolis even though locals would consider it a suburb called Edina. Super golfy around here with amazing private and public courses. We just had the LPGA Championship last week and have a PGA tour event next week. The Ryder cup returns here in 9 years after the great showing for the Americans in 2016.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk is
66081431d5f9dca47f09704dc4714e78.jpg

As far as a golf town were I live is the home of #golfschool but as far as stores you have to travel an hour to get just about anything to buy unless you want to overpay, or buy online. We have some nice courses but the one the school uses is over priced. I am looking forward to when the NCAA'S are back in town so I can go watch a round.

Lots of great golf in Pittsburgh. Obviously there are a lot of great private courses (Oakmont, Fox Chapel, Field Club, Edgewood, Longue Vue, etc). All of these clubs are in town. There’s one public course in the city limits. I haven’t played there in a long time, but it was fun. And just great to have access to a course for young kids and those that can’t make it to the suburbs for the pricier public courses.

No PGA Superstore here but we have Golf Galaxy. I imagine that the former would do well. Since golf weather is at a premium I think this city and area are obsessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Within a 20 minute drive, yeah. I counted them up because I wasn't sure it was right, but that's correct. Varying degrees of quality, of course. There are two inside the city limits of Appleton. A muni and a private club. It's not a bad little golf town.
Technically BDM is in Grand Chute, so really Reid is the only correct answer. So 1 golf course

Last edited:
There is one public course in my town, Eagles Landing. It's a decent little track with some challenging holes. The greens are always in good shape and consistent speed. They have a senior rate (55+) after noon on weekends for residents at $24 for 18 including cart. So it's good value.

We also have an Academy Sports in town for golf supplies, but I usually don't shop there.

Last edited:
Timberview Golf Club

The Ridge Golf & Gardens

Blues Creek Golf Club

Darby Creek Golf Course

Marysville Golf Club

There are 3 18+ hole courses in my town or close enough to be considered in my town. All 3 are at least playable, and pretty reasonably priced. Within an hour drive of my house there are probably 50 courses. Within day trip range there are multiple destination quality courses, full of burned tourists. Including a course that has been known to claim the title “Home of American Golf”.

We’ve got a DSG in the next town over, actually 2 in different towns close by. The closest Golf Galaxy is a little over an hour from my house, and there’s at least one good independent golf shop in “the city”.

What does "your town" mean though? That's easier to define in some places than it is in others.

Haha yes. While I live in Charleston (city), the city is made up of “burrows”/towns I guess. You have mt. Pleasant, Daniel island, north chuck, charleston (peninsula), and James island/west ashley (although both of those are addresses with charleston as the city in it). I don’t count John’s island (kiawah) because it really is it’s own separate place, it’s just in Charleston county.

So city wise, we have my answer from above. Specific “towns” still good choices for me as I live in a charleston address.

In my township there are 4 18 hole courses and 2 9 hole course at the Golf resort where I work. Within 25 miles there must be around 15-20 public courses and 5-6 private courses. We are golf rich in Northern New Jersey.

My town has two 18 hole courses (Maplegate and New England Country Club) and one 9 hole course (Bungay Brook). Each layout is unique which is great. We had a Golf Town but that closed down a little while back.

Oh man, where to start. LA as a whole is definitely a golf town. From the most exclusive/world famous private clubs, to world class publics, to golf mecca - which is the Roger Dunn superstore (I also count the West LA location as spectacular.)

But LA is a big place, so if I were to get a little more geographically specific, then yes. Where I live is very much a golf area. Within 10 miles there are at least 10 private clubs, including Sherwood, and 10-15 absolutely pristine public/semi-private courses, followed up by a handful of not so great tracks. There are 4 golf stores (including a Roger Dunn that is not as great as their others) and a DSG. As of last year, we also have a Club Champion.

Seemingly everyone here plays, so it's always an easy conversation starter, and friend maker when you're sitting at a bar, or queued up at a Starbucks.

Oh, there's also one privately owned 9 hole course

Decent selection of courses and types/difficulties around my area. All of them are generally over priced & overcrowded on weekends as a rule.

A golfer can golf pretty much play any type of course within 2 hours of my hometown Birch Hills.

Waskesui was Bob Hopes favorite golf course
Cooke was Johnny Cash's favorite municiple golf course.
You want a links course try Warman, and deserts link at Dakota Dunes.
You want a course off the lake, well Candle, Emma are great.
You like to play in trees, well here in Birch Hills, and in Shellbrook are epic!
And playing till 10 pm makes it even better!

I'm very lucky to have all these and other great courses near me. We have the most golf courses per capita than anywhere else in the world in Saskatchewan.

Columbus, OH: Muirfield and the home of Jack. Nothing more needs to be said.

I live in Frisco, Tx where the PGA is moving so while it's not a golf place right now it will be. I would definitely call the Dallas/Fort Worth area as a whole as a great golf place though. Only thing wrong with the area is the heat

There are 3 18+ hole courses in my town or close enough to be considered in my town. All 3 are at least playable, and pretty reasonably priced. Within an hour drive of my house there are probably 50 courses. Within day trip range there are multiple destination quality courses, full of burned tourists. Including a course that has been known to claim the title “Home of American Golf”.

We’ve got a DSG in the next town over, actually 2 in different towns close by. The closest Golf Galaxy is a little over an hour from my house, and there’s at least one good independent golf shop in “the city”.
What he said.

We have 2 courses run by the City of High Point and 2 country clubs. One of the munis, Blair Park is not super exciting and some golfers around here turn their nose up at it, (kinda runs through a rough neighborhood) but I really enjoy playing there. Plus $10 to walk 9 after work is amazing! The other city run course is Oak Hollow, a Pete Dye design. I love that course and it has beaten me up and stolen my lunch money many times.

Best thing here is being able to play pretty much year round.

The town I live in has 1 run down golf course... not worth traveling for. But, there are some pretty spectacular courses in the immediate area.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back