Desktop Computer Help

I agree with most of the posts here. If you have rewired correctly, specifically the front panel connectors, and the 20 or 24 pin power connector; and its still no go all signs point to a bad power supply. If I read right you said a surge protector was no longer working when you got back? If so I'd say 90% chance the PSU got fried. Your 4 pin connection looked good for the chip, and you seemed very diligent on the pics so after 3 tries on the motherboard I'd say again that its a power issue.

New egg is also about the only place I buy pc equipment for my builds, just be sure to double check to make sure the PSU is the right version,(ATX, mATX, ITX, BTX, blah blah etc...) and you should be good. I'd bet 5 bucks once you get a new PSU it boots back up.

+1 on newegg.com and being that they ship out of NJ for some stuff, I can order and have it the next day with regular shipping. Gotta love that.

If this is really a 6 or 7 year old old pc....I wouldn't spend a dime or a minute on it.
Pull the hd to recover any data you really need.
Buy a new pc.
Install old hd as a slave to recover needed data.
Smash old hd with sledge hammer.
Safely dispose of old pc and hd.
Remember, these things are full of heavy metals and toxic materials, so they need special disposal.

Wow, ton's of great info right there. I'll try a few of those DD. If that don't get it I'll call Bestbut and staples to see if they have what I need, only 30 minutes away.

You all are smart dudes, lol. Thanks for the help.

Wow, ton's of great info right there. I'll try a few of those DD. If that don't get it I'll call Bestbut and staples to see if they have what I need, only 30 minutes away.

You all are smart dudes, lol. Thanks for the help.

If all else fails, just take your PS out and take it with you. Best Buy might even be able to test it for you.

If this is really a 6 or 7 year old old pc....I wouldn't spend a dime or a minute on it.
Buy a new pc.
Remember, these things are full of heavy metals and toxic materials, so they need special disposal.

He's already put a new motherboard and I assume, a new CPU. So a new power supply wouldn't be much more. At this point, you gotta keep plugging away!

I have one that I mentioned earlier that is near the end of it's nine lives and I doubt I would do anything else with it when it shoots crap again, other than do the steps you mentioned above (I mentioned some of these in an earlier post in this thread!). I don't think duey has had any issues up to this point with it.

Buy a new pc.

He's already put a new motherboard and I assume, a new CPU. So a new power supply wouldn't be much more. At this point, you gotta keep plugging away!

I have one that I mentioned earlier that is near the end of it's nine lives and I doubt I would do anything else with it when it shoots crap again, other than do the steps you mentioned above (I mentioned some of these in an earlier post in this thread!). I don't think duey has had any issues up to this point with it.

I've not replaced the CPU yet, but checking on the PS right now. I may just replace that and get it up and running as a spare, then start the hunt for a solid Laptop. As much time as Liz and I spend on the road that would make sense to me if price is in the 5 to $600 range. Just not sure I can get much for that.

I've not replaced the CPU yet, but checking on the PS right now. I may just replace that and get it up and running as a spare, then start the hunt for a solid Laptop. As much time as Liz and I spend on the road that would make sense to me if price is in the 5 to $600 range. Just not sure I can get much for that.

Check Craigslist for the laptop if you don't mind buying used, you can get alot more machine for your money

If all else fails, just take your PS out and take it with you. Best Buy might even be able to test it for you.

I always forget about BB, that is another great idea on taking the PS in (couldn't hurt).

Unless you are a hardcore gamer you should be able to find a good set-up in that price range.

Check Craigslist for the laptop if you don't mind buying used, you can get alot more machine for your money

That's a great Idea, but I never buy anything used except golf equipment and cars, lol. I just convince myself I'll get a lemon.

I bought this laptop for my new job. It IS a Dell, but I don't have a problem with that, although people do!

Item Description: Inspirion 1545 Laptop. Intel® Pentium® Dual Core™ T4500 (2.3GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Product Subtotal: $499.99
Shipping and Handling: $9.00
Tax: $45.42
Product Total: $554.41

This was the desktop we got for Jacqui because hers was about 8 years old and it was time. Again, it's a Dell!

Item Description: Inspiron 580, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Product Subtotal: $469.99
Shipping and Handling: $19.00
Tax: $43.65
Product Total: $532.64

man for 400-500 bucks you can build a great bare bones system and just salvage parts from the old one
i burned out one of my boxes and my parents have an ancient gateway system(like 10yrs old)
i basically frankenstein'd a complete system by tossing bad parts and putting all the good stuff into the other

i dont think its gonna cost you too much money to get that puppy up and running again but you have to weigh cost of replacing parts to cost of another system all together

i dont know if dell have the same problems over there as here but they never install the op correct and use seconds for parts there aftercare service sucks too.

I bought this laptop for my new job. It IS a Dell, but I don't have a problem with that, although people do!

Item Description: Inspirion 1545 Laptop. Intel® Pentium® Dual Core™ T4500 (2.3GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Product Subtotal: $499.99
Shipping and Handling: $9.00
Tax: $45.42
Product Total: $554.41

This was the desktop we got for Jacqui because hers was about 8 years old and it was time. Again, it's a Dell!

Item Description: Inspiron 580, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Product Subtotal: $469.99
Shipping and Handling: $19.00
Tax: $43.65
Product Total: $532.64

Did you buy those new for that? I just called BB here and they have no PS's, so I'll order a new one on line and just get this up and running as a backup. I don't really want a desktop, If I buy anything, it will be a Laptop, but this is kind of fun to play with and get going if possible.

My laptop is close to 5 years old, haha, and wont stay running without the cord plugged in all the time. 9The plug is also goofed up and I have to hold it just right to keep it charging, lol). It's time for a new one, Liz can use this one and the DT if I get it running.

i dont know if dell have the same problems over there as here but they never install the op correct and use seconds for parts there aftercare service sucks too.

That's why I always throw out the Dell disclaimer. The Customer Service is not highly rated, but I never call them anyway, as I take care of my own stuff. Don't know about the suggestion that they use second hand parts; I have never had a bit of trouble with not only these two I just got, but the laptop we got about 4 or 5 years ago is running perfectly. No problems ever. I do my own maintaining at least monthly so that helps.

EDIT: I did have one problem, but that was all my fault. I was messing around and tried something that didn't work. But System Restore is your friend.

Did you buy those new for that? I just called BB here and they have no PS's, so I'll order a new one on line and just get this up and running as a backup. I don't really want a desktop, If I buy anything, it will be a Laptop, but this is kind of fun to play with and get going if possible.

My laptop is close to 5 years old, haha, and wont stay running without the cord plugged in all the time. 9The plug is also goofed up and I have to hold it just right to keep it charging, lol). It's time for a new one, Liz can use this one and the DT if I get it running.

Yep, got them both last August.

Update on this duey?

Update on this duey?

Nothing to tell as of yet. I'm looking for a solid laptop in the $5 to $600 range with all the goodies possible, but not a lot of luck. I'll still go forward on the desktop PS and get that going as a spare, but its taken a back seat.

Some friends invited us over tonight and it got really late, so no go again tonight on ordering the PS. I keep thinking I'll find a good laptop from the same place and order together.

what kinda laptop are you looking for?
i got a great hp for $399

what kinda laptop are you looking for?
i got a great hp for $399

I'm not really sure. My Sony Vaio is pretty old and has been a solid performer, but the big deal to me is getting as much as I can get in the $500 range. Everything I've seen under that range has been i3 and dual core rather than the newer i5 and quad core.

Back