Desktop Computer Help

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Can any of you computer techs help with this? Boss has been working overtime trying to help and is welcome to keep at it if he has another suggestions, but the thing simply won't power on. I've changed out the motherboard and hooked everything up, but still nothing.

With everything plugged in there is a small green light next to the power plug on the back that flashes green. Out of that power box theres a big wad of wires that plugs into the new motherboard and if I unplug that from the mb the green light stays steady, (quites flashing). But, it still won't power up by the power button on the front of the computer. The fan inside that same power box comes on from time to time and as I said there is a green light, so I assume its not the power box.

Anyone with an idea?

Can any of you computer techs help with this? Boss has been working overtime trying to help and is welcome to keep at it if he has another suggestions, but the thing simply won't power on. I've changed out the motherboard and hooked everything up, but still nothing.

With everything plugged in there is a small green light next to the power plug on the back that flashes green. Out of that power box theres a big wad of wires that plugs into the new motherboard and if I unplug that from the mb the green light stays steady, (quites flashing). But, it still won't power up by the power button on the front of the computer. The fan inside that same power box comes on from time to time and as I said there is a green light, so I assume its not the power box.

Anyone with an idea?

Based on what you have said I am going to say its the power supply. Just because the fan can turn on and the light can turn on, the unit can still be defective and not putting out enough power to run your PC. What brand is the PS?

Based on what you have said I am going to say its the power supply. Just because the fan can turn on and the light can turn on, the unit can still be defective and not putting out enough power to run your PC. What brand is the PS?

The pc is a HP and the power supply sa's BesTec.

Either you have a bad PS or you didnt hook all the cables up on the MB. Check and make sure you remembered all the cables on the MB. Usually there are two power supply cables on most newer MB's.

Either you have a bad PS or you didnt hook all the cables up on the MB. Check and make sure you remembered all the cables on the MB. Usually there are two power supply cables on most newer MB's.

Correct, when people miss one it is the 4 pin connector. I think you have a bad power supply though and should probably replace it. DO NOT BUY SPARKLE POWER SUPPLYS. I would recommend Thermaltake.

I'll check that again, but pretty sure I have all plugged in. There is the big bunch all to one plug and then a strap that plugs in. Then lots of small connections and I took a ton of pictures to get those right, lol.

I find a BFH always helps my cause :D

I'll check that again, but pretty sure I have all plugged in. There is the big bunch all to one plug and then a strap that plugs in. Then lots of small connections and I took a ton of pictures to get those right, lol.

How did all this start Duey? And when you hit the power button does ANYTHING happen at all? And sounds or lights at all?

Correct, when people miss one it is the 4 pin connector. I think you have a bad power supply though and should probably replace it. DO NOT BUY SPARKLE POWER SUPPLYS. I would recommend Thermaltake.

Thanks, I'll check them out tomorrow. Just guessing I'll have to order it.

I find a BFH always helps my cause :D

That would make some sense and I'm getting colser and closer, lol.

How did all this start Duey? And when you hit the power button does ANYTHING happen at all? And sounds or lights at all?

No sounds, light or anything except that small power light on the back. We came back from a trip and it would not power up. Checked the big power strip and half of it would not work, so figured a power spike. All the other things work like the printer, monitor, etc, just not the pc.

No sounds, light or anything except that small power light on the back. We came back from a trip and it would not power up. Checked the big power strip and half of it would not work, so figured a power spike. All the other things work like the printer, monitor, etc, just not the pc.

And you already replaced the MB? Id change the PS next. Actually I would have done that first lol. But like CB said, Thermaltake make good ones or PC Power and Cooling. If you order one check newegg.com, they ship super fast and have good prices.

And you already replaced the MB? Id change the PS next. Actually I would have done that first lol. But like CB said, Thermaltake make good ones or PC Power and Cooling. If you order one check newegg.com, they ship super fast and have good prices.

Wonderful, thanks for the help. It's tight as hell in there, so I'm going to pull the mb back out to re-check all connections and try one more time, lol.

Thanks all!

my suggestion is to unplug all the periphery and start with only the essentials
plug your power supply to the mobo and hdd
plug keyboard and monitor to the mobo
turn it on and go from there... if its not booting up... start with a powersupply (try to get your hands on one from another system)

my suggestion is to unplug all the periphery and start with only the essentials
plug your power supply to the mobo and hdd
plug keyboard and monitor to the mobo
turn it on and go from there... if its not booting up... start with a powersupply (try to get your hands on one from another system)

At this point I dont have the side on it or even all the screws in the mb, lol. I've not tried the monitor or keyboard again, I'm still working to get the unit itsself to power up. (and getting very frustrated with that, haha)

How old is this thing duey? I might consider taking out the hard drive and putting it inside a new computer. Don't know your OS either, but I'm liking Windows 7.

You've never mentioned it being a dinosaur or anything, I just have one that is on it's 7th life and I don't know if I want to revive it again!

How old is this thing duey? I might consider taking out the hard drive and putting it inside a new computer. Don't know your OS either, but I'm liking Windows 7.

You've never mentioned it being a dinosaur or anything, I just have one that is on it's 7th life and I don't know if I want to revive it again!

I think its only 6 or 7 years old. It was an expensive mother when I bought it, lol. Like $2200 worth.

I think its only 6 or 7 years old. It was an expensive mother when I bought it, lol. Like $2200 worth.

"Only" 6 or 7? hahaha That's how old mine is - - - with a new motherboard, CPU and power supply 3 years ago.

My laptop is on its last leg, so I hope to keep the desktop going for Liz and I'll pick up a new laptop, haha

"Only" 6 or 7? hahaha That's how old mine is - - - with a new motherboard, CPU and power supply 3 years ago.

Wow. We work ours pretty hard too.

you dont need the sides or the screws as long as the power supply is connected to the motherboard and the motherboard is connected to the monitor and keyboard
unplug everything else... i mean everything... except the hard drive

so its power supply to motherboard and hard drive
motherboard to monitor and keyboard
turn power on

oh yeah... you have to have the essential cards like vid card etc seated properly on the motherboard

This is likely a very dumb question, but do I need a monitor and keyboard hooked up to check it? I figured the power light on the front would come on regardless of those if all else was plugged in right.

if you have a bad led and the monitor isnt plugged in... you'd never know if its working or not hahaha

plus if the monitor powers up it could display error messages

Ok, I just took the mb back out, checked all connections, hooked up a monitor, kicked it twice, said a couple blessings and nothing. Oh well. I'll try a power supply, lol.

Back