Desktop Computer Help

was the hard drive also hooked up?
take a pic of your open system

Yeah, I think so, haha. Here's a picture of the flat red plug going to the hd. There is a cluster of four plugs here. Two are white and seem's like they were never plugged to anything and two flat plugs that only one was used. I've tried both. (They are stamped P10 and P9, I have P9 in plugged in now).

P1030649.jpg

IMG007941.jpg

as you can tell ive never been a call center help desk customer service nerd herd guy... im the gimme the hardware and ill get it running for you kinda IT guy hahaha
power supply... check
mother board... check
vid card... check
hard drive... check
monitor/keyboard... check
make sure everything is seated with power and data cables plugged in and not on backwards
everything else put aside or remove power/data cables
power on monitor
power on power supply
make sure power supply is plugged in

now are the fans on the power supply turning on?
is the monitor turning on and is there any kind of display/error message or is it on but the screen is blank?
is the hard drive making any noises?
are there any other lights anywhere turning on or are there lights that should be on that arent?

No sound from the hd, no fans running and the monitor says no data. An interesting thing though, boss had me heat up the power supply with a hair dryer when we worked on it and the fan would come on if the big wad of power cords that plug into the back of the board was unplugged.

If I buy another power supply to replace this one, I'm going to try it just to know I can, lol. I'm done with this silly thing for now. I'll play with it tomorrow.

sorry i couldnt help out... if i was there id bet i could get it up an running hahaha

sorry i couldnt help out... if i was there id bet i could get it up an running hahaha

I bet you could too buddy. Thanks for all the help from all of you.

A: Willing to bet it's the PS like others said
B: Do not use that method. PS's are not be messed around with. I've seen someone try to arc a PS to see if it had life. I've also seen the same person get jumped by the paddles.
C: I didn't see it in the picture, but also make sure your Memory isn't toast. Load one stick at a time after you swap the PS, it might just be a bad stick and the board refuses to POST.

If none of the above works, I'll go ask one of my minions (they aren't really. It's just my endearing name for them sometimes)

like bogey_russ said if i was there it would be running you know where i am if i can help

If it was memory the computer would start to post, his does nothing at all when he hits the power button. It would probably throw a beep code too.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'm kind of enjoying the learn at this point. I think it's the ps, simply because with everything plugged in or unplugged, the second I plug the power to the mb that green light on back of the machine goes from steady to blinking.

This only has a ATX 300w-12z ps in it. Does it matter if I go larger or should I find the exact one. There's lot's on NewEgg, pretty cheap.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'm kind of enjoying the learn at this point. I think it's the ps, simply because with everything plugged in or unplugged, the second I plug the power to the mb that green light on back of the machine goes from steady to blinking.

This only has a ATX 300w-12z ps in it. Does it matter if I go larger or should I find the exact one. There's lot's on NewEgg, pretty cheap.

Its an older machine, you dont need anything bigger. Id go wtih a decent brand same power rating. Look for the ones with the most ratings. And good of course.

Its an older machine, you dont need anything bigger. Id go wtih a decent brand same power rating. Look for the ones with the most ratings. And good of course.

Great, thanks Kevin. I'll check into them.

Great, thanks Kevin. I'll check into them.

And if it doesnt work, you didnt spend much. But we dont want to think that way lol

Let me ask this, since I didn't see it in earlier posts. (maybe I missed it)

There should be some wires coming directly from the switch on the front of the pc to turn the thing on that connect to the mb.
Are you positive that you reconnected those exactly as they were?
This new mb....is it exactly the same mb as the old one?
Some mb's have a different connections sequence than others for that power switch.
It is possible that the power switch on the front has gone bad as well.

exact same mb i found it for him
a flashing green light on a ps means it gone into protection mode and can be reset but we have struggled to do this.
also appologise to thedue i only found out about the above sentence after i said mb

If I remember right, I read somewhere that you can reset some power supplies by unplugging them from the wall and the motherboard and then plug the power supply back into the wall. Let it set for a few minutes, then uplug from the wall, reconnect everything and power up.

exact same mb i found it for him
a flashing green light on a ps means it gone into protection mode and can be reset but we have struggled to do this.
also appologise to thedue i only found out about the above sentence after i said mb

No problem mate, (damn, I'm starting to sound like you, haha), I tried the hair dryer again, lol.

If I remember right, I read somewhere that you can reset some power supplies by unplugging them from the wall and the motherboard and then plug the power supply back into the wall. Let it set for a few minutes, then uplug from the wall, reconnect everything and power up.

Yeah, we tried that one too, lol. I'm learning all kinds of stuff from you guys. Thanks to everyone!

If you didn't want to wait for newegg to ship one (it only takes 2-3 days normally) you can usually find PS at Staples or Office Depot. If it doesn't work you can take it back. Just a thought. :)

If you didn't want to wait for newegg to ship one (it only takes 2-3 days normally) you can usually find PS at Staples or Office Depot. If it doesn't work you can take it back. Just a thought. :)

C A makes a point duey. Usually a few places have them if you dont want to wait. I think Best Buy has them too.

Try this.....

Perform the following steps, in order, until power is restored or it is determined that there is a hardware failure:
CAUTION: This product contains components that are easily damaged by ElectroStatic Discharge (ESD). To reduce the chance of ESD damage, work over a non-carpeted floor, use a static dissipative work surface (like a conductive foam pad), and wear an ESD wrist strap that is connected to a grounded surface, like the metal frame of a PC.

1.Disconnect everything from the computer, including the power cord.
2.With the power cord disconnected , press the power button on the front of the computer for five seconds.
Plug in the power cord and test to see if the computer can turn on. If not, continue using these steps.
NOTE: If the power supply fan makes an inconsistent grinding sound or stops and starts erratically, replace the power supply

3.With the power cord removed, flip the red voltage selector switch to the opposite position. Wait about five seconds, and then switch the red voltage selector switch back to its original location. Ensure that the voltage selector switch is on the correct setting.
NOTE: Connecting a power supply to a 220V outlet while it is switched to 115V can damage the computer.

Performing this step ensures that the voltage switch is engaged and set correctly for your country/region.
Figure 4: Voltage selector switch
c00517964.jpg

Plug in the power cord and test to see if the computer can turn on. If not, continue using these steps.
4.Plug a lamp into the same outlet to see if the wall outlet has power. Try the computer in a different outlet in order to eliminate the outlet as a possible source of the issue. Test both to see if the wall outlets have power.
5.Remove all extension cords, power strips, surge protectors and any converters that remove ground. Plug the power cable directly to the wall outlet. Test for power. If this fixes the issue, find the device that is causing the issue and do not use it.
NOTE: If you find the device that was causing the problem was a surge protector, resetting a breaker or fuse on the surge protector may fix the issue.

6.Remove all attached devices except for keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
7.Remove any internal component that was recently added, such as video card, memory, CD, DVD, and hard drives. An added device may take more power than the power supply is rated for. If the problem goes away when the component is removed, the only option is to upgrade the power supply to power supply with a higher wattage rating.
8.Check the power switch:
a.With the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the front of the PC. The button should release easily and not stick in the socket.
■If the button sticks, it should be replaced or serviced.
■If the power button does not stick and appears to be functioning, continue using these steps.
b.With the power cord disconnected, remove the case or side panel.
c.Follow the wires from the power button on the front of the computer to their connection on the motherboard.
d.Look at the power switch cables connected to the motherboard. If the cable has become disconnected, connect the power switch cable connector to the connector on the motherboard.
c00517968.jpg

Figure 5: Power switch connector on Motherboard
e.Replace the side panel, plug in the power cord and test to see if the computer can turn on. If not, continue using these steps.
9.Find the defective part:
a.With the power cord disconnected, remove the case or side panel.
b.Disconnect all power cable connectors from their connectors on the motherboard and from the back of internal devices (the back of drives). Make sure to label or remember where each cable connects for future reference.
c00540428.jpg

Figure 6: Example of common power connections
c.Replace the side panel, plug in the power cord, and examine the light on the back of the power supply:
■If the LED is on solid and is not flashing, the power supply is probably good and the problem is most likely caused by a defective component (processor, memory, PCI card) or a defective motherboard. Have the computer serviced, or remove the components and replace them, one at a time, to find and replace the defective component.
■If the LED is still flashing (it should not flash with all connectors removed), plug the power cable into a different power outlet that is known to be good. If the LED still flashes, the power supply should be replaced.
■If the LED light is now off, plug the power cable into a different power outlet that is known to be good. If the LED stays off, the power supply should be replaced.
NOTE: If an electrical storm or power surge has recently occurred, then it is more likely that the power supply, the modem, or motherboard is damaged and requires replacement. If the power supply was damaged due to power outage or storm, this may not be covered under the "act of nature" policy in the warranty statement. Refer to the warranty statement that came with your computer for more information.

This info came directly from HP....here....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=89876&docname=bph06788#N207

I hope this may help.

Back