Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Before I headed out to work in the yard this morning, I sat at the computer staring at a satellite image of a field I often practice on (image on top). I'd been thinking about this for a week or so... can I design a small golf course with nothing more than an open field and a few markers?

The field isn't that big, so this might be the only instance where lacking distance is an advantage. On the other hand, my ability to spray the ball around limits where I can place targets. I can't take a chance of hitting near the highway that runs along the east side of the field so that might require layups I wouldn't normally consider.

There will be the need for some creative local rules. There is nothing finely manicured about this field. Not only will there be no putting during a round, fluffing lies is allowed.

Cones will be used to mark the orange dots that represent hazards. These need to be avoided or carried. A shot that lands too far on that side of the target would incur a stroke and distance penalty. On the first hole, the orange dot represents a corner that cannot be cut. If the ball doesn't carry it but stays right, a 2nd shot is required before attempting the approach - as would be the case for any left dog leg. On holes 3 and 4, the ball can be played as it lies from the tee shot if it gets normal distance (for me that's 210-220 yards). If short, an additional shot is required to gain the appropriate distance. As mentioned above, any shot that lands on the wrong side of the hazards (determined by connecting the dots), will be penalized stroke and distance. The idea is to make sure that any miss will occur on the side opposite of the orange cones.

The two imaginary greens are 15 - 20 yards in diameter with a driveway marker for the pin. So once the ball is within 10 yards of the pin - eyeballed of course - and two putting strokes added, the hole is completed. A one-putt is awarded for any shot that is within 3'.

Some day in the near future, residents or others driving through Mesick, Michigan may see a man placing cones and driveway markers out onto the field normally reserved for the Spring Mushroom Festival, all the while carefully studying a piece of paper. They may then see him pull a cart and clubs out of his trunk, tee up a ball, hit it, walk to it, hit it again, pull out that piece of paper, study it some more, put it away and hit some more shots. And they will all be thinking the same thing.... Clearly, the stay-at-home order is taking its toll and actual golf courses need to re-open as soon as possible. That poor, crazy bastard.

MushroomFestFieldLrg.jpg

That's good thinking - any golf is better than no golf! (y)

I love this, great thinking.

I'm erecting a 15' by 18' net suspended between two trees that are 50ft apart on my back property. It'll be a large square in the middle of the opening. This way I'll be able to stand well back from it so I'll get at least some feedback on the longer clubs. How far back is yet to be determined....just got it suspended low last evening as I was losing light. Today I'll have my 22 year old son do the 30ft climb up to attach the lag to the trees (I made it about 20ft up yesterday and that was enough for me) then it will loop through on one side and tension down near the base of the tree. I should be able to stand 50 or 60ft back. Behind the net is simply woods so the few that miss will go harmlessly off into the trees. I can occasionally go scoop them up but there won't be many. I won't be that far back.

When you stand 10ft away from a 10x10 net you get no feedback at all; just hit-thwap into the net. With this, I'll at least get a sense of how it's taking off and if it's into the upper left corner, I pulled it, upper right I blocked it. The next step will be to hit a few balls to determine the trajectory of my driver and low irons to determine the best placement in height for the net. I'll take some pics and post them when I'm done. I also have a 90yd flag in my front property with a proper golf flag....I even put custom graphics on it so it's my own one hole golf course.

My State and my club are closed. Desperate times indeed. Good luck with your golf course OP. Many clubs have retired golf flags and sticks lying around. You might ask. My club had several and just gave me a couple.

that's a good idea

I like it! I had a field to go to like that when we were stationed in DC but I never thought to do what you're planning. If those evenly spaced parallel N/S strips are readily visible from ground level you could set up some very precise partial short iron / wedge practice stations too. Especially if you incorporated your cones.

I like it. Any way to get the greens on opposite sides of the field? That might prevent some walking around to get to the next tee box.

Nice thinking! Hopefully it is a suitable replacement to pass the time with!

I like it. Any way to get the greens on opposite sides of the field? That might prevent some walking around to get to the next tee box.
Yes. You're right in having the two (or even a third) on opposite sides so that the tees and greens are right next to each other would be more efficient. I think I could switch things around fairly easily. What I want avoid is hitting driver into the narrow (north) part of the field. Hole 4 is about as much of a chance as I want to take.

Aww man. I want a golf course.😢:ROFLMAO:

Good job! Hole 4? How many are you planning on having?

I went out this afternoon, marked the course and played 8 holes. The bad golf aside, it was definitely a more intense practice and fairly realistic as far as how costly a poor shot felt.

With the exception of putting, every part of the game was tested today. On the rare occasions when I did hit good mid iron shots, I flew the flag by 20 yards (a rangefinder would be nice). Guess I'm spoiled by using gps because I wasn't going good job estimating distances.

Since the hazards must be carried on many of the shots, poor contact cost me a ton of penalty strokes. At one point, I hit 3 duffed hybrid shots in a row. Out of 8 holes, I think I reached ESC on 3.:facepalm:

I tried to be honest about how much room left and right I'd realistically have, so I was really trying to hit the target landing areas. When I felt I missed them I'd add a wedge shot. If the miss was bad, take a penalty.

The positives:
• Easy to set up the course
• For the most part, it was easy to define a poor shot as a penalty
• There was pressure to execute good shots
• More variety of shots than expected

The negatives:
• Errant shots crossing the fence are a concern - may require design modifications
• Had to follow - kept referring to my map
• Hard to judge distances
• As @Chef23 suggested, better logic is needed to reduce distance between greens and tee boxes.

How many are you planning on having?

I could setup more holes, but 4 should suffice for the one or two hours I'm out there.

Pretty neat to have your own golf course though, where you can work on whatever you want at will and not have to worry about anybody else. (y)

Neat field you have access to! And I agree, realistic practice is good practice.

Put something to knock the ball down when you toe one and hit it off the tree. More possible the further you are away.

True story.. years ago at my in-laws who had their house on several acres up in northern Michigan, we used to hit balls in the front yard as there was a nice 20-30 yard opening between some large trees that no one ever even considered that they might come into play.

One of the uncles said “let me see that driver and I’ll show you how to hit the big dog”.

Smoked that thing dead center off one of the large trees down by the road and it came straight back at us like a bullet and went right through the picture window and came to rest on a lazy boy chair in the living room.

No one got hurt but needless to say That was the end of hitting balls in the front yard.

Great idea. I'm doing something similar myself right now via a clearing in the Mojave Desert.

Only difference is I am using the same landing area for all my shots up to 150 yards. I just move my make shift hitting station to accomodate what ever club I am using.

The landing area is approximately 30' wide by 20' deep.

Back