Desperately need help putting.

That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting
Update:
Time to revisit this oldie. I’m going to transition from practicing full iron and drivers in the conference room to putting.

I only have carpet to putt on it’s industrial carpet so should roll dead flat at around a 13-14 on the stimp?

What kind of putting aids should I look into? I’ll stop and get something from golf galaxy on the way in if I can if not order from Amazon and have shipped to work tomorrow

————————————
I’ve been using ShotScope to practice and improve various areas of my game and have seen good results. Meanwhile my putting stats can be downright embarrassing.
E9221FC0-3B04-403F-A240-B79A96E894A1.jpeg
77FB6659-4DB5-435F-8F7F-ECDA12CF2A37.jpeg
248DAC65-67DA-49D8-8A70-A95AE716F83C.jpeg
544A736A-0C78-4D36-808A-CF572271154B.jpeg

As you can see I’m losing a massive amount of strokes to putting. This needs to change asap. It pretty much wipes out any strokes I gain elsewhere.

I have been taking around 30 minutes pre or post round 3 days a week to practice but I don’t think it’s very productive practice. I generally just roll a bunch of lag putts from 20-25’ out then walk up and try to hole them. Then I’ll try to make putts from around 10ft. I’m just not sure how to get better. I don’t have access or the room for a putting mat so that is out of the question.

I’m looking for drills or practice techniques that I can use on the practice greens at my home course. I’m willing and able to put in the work I’m just not sure where to start.

What suggestions or tips do you guys have?

Last edited:
Make it as natural as possible. Putt like you don’t care if it goes in or not... and remember - it’s ok to miss.
It feels pretty natural now. Grip feels good in my hand, I have all the confidence in the world in my M-Craft IV, but I DO care if they drop. Not being OK with missing is the reason for this thread. The strokes gained towards my goal hdcp and make percentage disparity between me and the goal I have is what I need to improve to get there.

That 3-9’ range is really killing you. I suggest the circle or clock drill.

Another is the Dave Pelz pull-back drill:

If you really want to get deep, read Dave Pelz Putting Bible.

That 3-9’ range is really killing you. I suggest the circle or clock drill.

Another is the Dave Pelz pull-back drill:

If you really want to get deep, read Dave Pelz Putting Bible.

3-9’ definitely has my number. So often I’ll have a good chance at an up/down from under 10’ and blow it. Thanks for the video. I’ll give it a watch once the little goes to bed.

Getting deep and obsessive with stuff is kinda my thing. I’ll check that book out.

I judge my putting from two things. Hitting my indented line/good speed. Speed is just kind of a natural thing for me so I spend a decent amount of time making sure I am starting putts on line. The drill MGOBLUE posted above is my go to. I will pick a spot on the practice green that is on a decent slope and do that. 3 to 4 footers. I have to go around twice without missing or I start over. Gives me more confidence on the short ones, but more importantly it shows me if I am starting my putts online or not. Even if some go in on the edge I may notice a trend that I am starting it just right or just left.

I judge my putting from two things. Hitting my indented line/good speed. Speed is just kind of a natural thing for me so I spend a decent amount of time making sure I am starting putts on line. The drill MGOBLUE posted above is my go to. I will pick a spot on the practice green that is on a decent slope and do that. 3 to 4 footers. I have to go around twice without missing or I start over. Gives me more confidence on the short ones, but more importantly it shows me if I am starting my putts online or not. Even if some go in on the edge I may notice a trend that I am starting it just right or just left.

speed is something I struggle with. I’m leaving 60% short so I’m not even giving em a chance.

Check out @Jman Edel putter fitting, you could have similar issues like me with eye dominance, alignment aid, head shape etc that may unlock that next level.
Do you feel like you are able to start on your chosen line but misjudge pace or does the ball not even go where you wanted?

Okay, you know I love you and your Cantlayish feet brother, so don't take these thoughts personally. And believe me it kind of hurts me to write anything like this that could sound like a swing critique because there's no right way to do things. Just gonna tell you how things look. (I can't believe I just said that. Nothing is ever how it looks)

You can drill from distances or whatever all day everyday and you'll typically only getting better at what you're already doing. Things can improve, but to a point usually. What I see watching you putt is a lot of things pretty loose. The ball is outside your eyes, you're tall over it (how long is your putter btw?), and you have kind of a very relaxed pendulum stroke with some arc. It doesn't scream precision, visually. You're kind of off it and sweeping out at it. We all have to go with what works for us. I keep the ball outside my eyes too for example, even though instructors hate it. I would love to see you gain a little more structure in your setup and stroke though. I feel like it might help.

Excuse me while I go 🤮 at my internet adviceness now.

Last edited:
I’ve been using ShotScope to practice and improve various areas of my game and have seen good results. Meanwhile my putting stats can be downright embarrassing.
View attachment 9103300
View attachment 9103301
View attachment 9103302
View attachment 9103303

As you can see I’m losing a massive amount of strokes to putting. This needs to change asap. It pretty much wipes out any strokes I gain elsewhere.

I have been taking around 30 minutes pre or post round 3 days a week to practice but I don’t think it’s very productive practice. I generally just roll a bunch of lag putts from 20-25’ out then walk up and try to hole them. Then I’ll try to make putts from around 10ft. I’m just not sure how to get better. I don’t have access or the room for a putting mat so that is out of the question.

I’m looking for drills or practice techniques that I can use on the practice greens at my home course. I’m willing and able to put in the work I’m just not sure where to start.

What suggestions or tips do you guys have?

Ohhh man!

I can give you a whole list of things I did to help me, but let's focus on you.

Where do you struggle? Be specific.
Distance control?
Alignment?
Staying on target line?
Other?

I can tell you what worked/didn't for me and I can't wait for us to tee it up at the end of next month for sure to talk drills, etc. (Not that I'm a great putter)

Go to putting green, practice so your putts are always 12 inches or so past the hole.

I’m in a similar boat, I think my current stats show 67% missed short. I’ve been doing alot of those 4-6 balls around the hole drill when I’m at the short game area as I struggle with that 3-9’ range and a pace drill with a putter cover. This one is nice because I can do it in the carpeted hallway upstairs with no mat. I’ll put the cover down at about 4’ and try to get the ball just past it, move the ball back to my starting point and move the cover to where the putt ended up. Repeat until your all the way down the hallway and try to have as many putts as possible. Good luck man, you’ve been grinding and I get the frustration 👊.

one drill rec, and one equipment rec

drill: when practicing your putting, place an alignment stick 18” behind the hole. start at 3’, and roll 10 putts. for any putts you don’t make, they should finish past the hole but not to the alignment stick. repeat at 5’, 10’, 15’, 20’, 30’, and 40’. track your progress, and come up with some way to reward yourself when you achieve different improvement milestones.

equipment: a callaway ball with triple track. ignore if you already use this. if not, it’s the best way to consistently align yourself to your intended start line. no matter what @OldandStiff says haha

I had the very same issue last season with putts coming up short, at ECPC Nick was a encyclopedia of information and really helped me understand that my stroke was to slow as my stats showed I was very consistent just consistently slow so he told me to think along the lines of Brandt Snedeker more so than what I had been doing in the past. It helped shorten my stroke which takes out slop in the stroke and the pace helped the putts get to target rather than constantly die short.

equipment: a callaway ball with triple track. ignore if you already use this. if not, it’s the best way to consistently align yourself to your intended start line. no matter what @OldandStiff says haha
:rolleyes: Why? Why Mclovinlines, why??

I repeat - I love all triple-trackers. You're all very special people to me. :D
And if anything helps, use it. Always.

speed is something I struggle with. I’m leaving 60% short so I’m not even giving em a chance.

There is nothing wrong with leaving putts short. Especially from 25 feet and out. That said 60% is probably a bit high. Are you trying to make a conscious effort when playing to putt it past the hole? If so, there must be something happening. From my experience and observing a lot of golf, players leave short when they get tight. You could play a few rounds in which your sole focus is to hit it past the hole. You'll start feeling more and more comfortable.

I just took a closer look at the stats. Looks like you are missing 1 3 footer or less every 13 putts. And you miss 50% of putts 3-6 feet. Speed shouldn't be an issue on the putts. Unless you are just being super tentative. If that is the case see above. I haven't see your stroke so this is just guessing but I would say you are not hitting your intended line. I'd still start with the around the hole drill. Its going to give you a lot of information. If you can make 16 of 16 in a row practicing there is no reason you cant do it on course. And if you starts getting better at that 3,4,5 foot range you are likely saving 3 putts per rounds there alone.

Also get a PuttOut and mat. PuttOut ingrains the optimum speed.

Check out @Jman Edel putter fitting, you could have similar issues like me with eye dominance, alignment aid, head shape etc that may unlock that next level.
Do you feel like you are able to start on your chosen line but misjudge pace or does the ball not even go where you wanted?
I am left eye dominate. When I'm over putts I tilt my head just a little bit to get my left eye focusing on the ball. It's what feels best to me. I do feel like I'm good with starting the ball on my intended line. Now, maybe that intended line is a massive misread but it's going where I want it to, just slowly. I think I'm way to nervous to blow putts past that it makes me tentative.

Okay, you know I love you and your Cantlayish feet brother, so don't take these thoughts personally. And believe me it kind of hurts me to write anything like this that could sound like a swing critique because there's no right way to do things. Just gonna tell you how things look. (I can't believe I just said that. Nothing is ever how it looks)

You can drill from distances or whatever all day everyday and you'll typically only getting better at what you're already doing. Things can improve, but to a point usually. What I see watching you putt is a lot of things pretty loose. The ball is outside your eyes, you're tall over it (how long is your putter btw?), and you have kind of a very relaxed pendulum stroke with some arc. It doesn't scream precision, visually. You're kind of off it and sweeping out at it. We all have to go with what works for us. I keep the ball outside my eyes too for example, even though instructors hate it. I would love to see you gain a little more structure in your setup and stroke though. I feel like it might help.

Excuse me while I go 🤮 at my internet adviceness now.
Cantlay feet was a one time thing, I swear :ROFLMAO:. I really appreciate your feedback. Outside of my dad I'd be willing to bet you've seen more of my game on the Tube than anyone so that feedback is valuable to me. I agree that I'm tall over the ball. The M Craft is 35" and honestly I would probably do well to cut it down to 34. The relaxed pendulum is something I've kinda noticed when looking at my stroke vs various pro's. It makes sense that a relaxed stroke wouldn't necessarily be good for accuracy. Hearing you say this along with the observations I've already been making is enough for me to start to play around with making a more deliberate and less relaxed/sweepy motion. 👊

one drill rec, and one equipment rec

drill: when practicing your putting, place an alignment stick 18” behind the hole. start at 3’, and roll 10 putts. for any putts you don’t make, they should finish past the hole but not to the alignment stick. repeat at 5’, 10’, 15’, 20’, 30’, and 40’. track your progress, and come up with some way to reward yourself when you achieve different improvement milestones.

I really like this alignment stick drill. That is something I'm absolutely going to start doing in my 30 minutes pre or post round.
I can't do the triple rack though. It distracts me and makes me second guess my reads. I've tried them before and it just wasn't a fit.

There is nothing wrong with leaving putts short. Especially from 25 feet and out. That said 60% is probably a bit high. Are you trying to make a conscious effort when playing to putt it past the hole? If so, there must be something happening. From my experience and observing a lot of golf, players leave short when they get tight. You could play a few rounds in which your sole focus is to hit it past the hole. You'll start feeling more and more comfortable.

I just took a closer look at the stats. Looks like you are missing 1 3 footer or less every 13 putts. And you miss 50% of putts 3-6 feet. Speed shouldn't be an issue on the putts. Unless you are just being super tentative. If that is the case see above. I haven't see your stroke so this is just guessing but I would say you are not hitting your intended line. I'd still start with the around the hole drill. Its going to give you a lot of information. If you can make 16 of 16 in a row practicing there is no reason you cant do it on course. And if you starts getting better at that 3,4,5 foot range you are likely saving 3 putts per rounds there alone.
Here's one I have handy on video.

Please disregard the Cantlay feet.

:rolleyes: Why? Why Mclovinlines, why??

I repeat - I love all triple-trackers. You're all very special people to me. :D
And if anything helps, use it. Always.
I’m glad you still love me and my triple track balls 😉

I am left eye dominate. When I'm over putts I tilt my head just a little bit to get my left eye focusing on the ball. It's what feels best to me. I do feel like I'm good with starting the ball on my intended line. Now, maybe that intended line is a massive misread but it's going where I want it to, just slowly. I think I'm way to nervous to blow putts past that it makes me tentative.

Cantlay feet was a one time thing, I swear :ROFLMAO:. I really appreciate your feedback. Outside of my dad I'd be willing to bet you've seen more of my game on the Tube than anyone so that feedback is valuable to me. I agree that I'm tall over the ball. The M Craft is 35" and honestly I would probably do well to cut it down to 34. The relaxed pendulum is something I've kinda noticed when looking at my stroke vs various pro's. It makes sense that a relaxed stroke wouldn't necessarily be good for accuracy. Hearing you say this along with the observations I've already been making is enough for me to start to play around with making a more deliberate and less relaxed/sweepy motion. 👊

I really like this alignment stick drill. That is something I'm absolutely going to start doing in my 30 minutes pre or post round.
I can't do the triple rack though. It distracts me and makes me second guess my reads. I've tried them before and it just wasn't a fit.
Triple track or not, are you guessing or feeling tentative with your reads?

Also, have you been fit? Did worlds for my game.

I‘m happy to try to connect and work together on the greens. I’m no coach but can hang on the greens and happy to try to work it out with a second set of eyes for you. I can practice putting until my back gives out…

Also, I can bring over the blast motion I have. I don’t drill with it per say but will throw it on from time to time if I feel things are out of whack. You are welcome to use it through your experience.

Also, I can bring over the blast motion I have. I don’t drill with it per say but will throw it on from time to time if I feel things are out of whack. You are welcome to use it through your experience.
I’m not sure what blast motion is but it’s been recommended in here a couple times and I’m willing to try anything. I’ll do some research on it tonight.

To answer your other question I have not been fit.

I’m not sure what blast motion is but it’s been recommended in here a couple times and I’m willing to try anything. I’ll do some research on it tonight.

To answer your other question I have not been fit.
It’s a sensor that goes on the end of your shaft. It tracks how you move the club along the path. Can give you tempo, angle, etc. A good thread or two on it here.

Back