Desperately need help putting.

Best thing I’ve found recently for putting: Balls of Steel by Eyeline Golf.

A few sessions with those and you will see a difference.
I got one recently and I agree. Simple and effective

Getting warmer. Goal is to avg 30 by VC.
Total putts for my 18 today.
9A671B1B-D599-429B-8233-B883660326BA.jpeg

I use this frequently ...

Structure, putter length.. I'm loving the updates!

Structure, putter length.. I'm loving the updates!
I haven’t gotten gotten it cut down yet. I have to figure out a day I’m willing to not play for 24 hours or so. Probably do it Friday after my round try to pick it back up Saturday before I play on Sunday morning.

I need some suggestions on a new grip though. I don’t mind the size of the stock Mizzy grip but might like something a little ‘smoother’ (?)

I haven’t gotten gotten it cut down yet. I have to figure out a day I’m willing to not play for 24 hours or so. Probably do it Friday after my round try to pick it back up Saturday before I play on Sunday morning.

I need some suggestions on a new grip though. I don’t mind the size of the stock Mizzy grip but might like something a little ‘smoother’ (?)
I’ve got a pipe cutter, solvent, and grip tape…

I shared this in another thread but wanted to put it here too since I like to go back and read my posts here for perspective on where I’ve been and where I plan to go.

- Finished my round today +6 with only 30 putts (which could have easily been 28). That proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I hit the goal of avg 30 putts or less I can make it to a single digit cap with a buffer. I felt really good out there today.

I shared this in another thread but wanted to put it here too since I like to go back and read my posts here for perspective on where I’ve been and where I plan to go.

- Finished my round today +6 with only 30 putts (which could have easily been 28). That proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I hit the goal of avg 30 putts or less I can make it to a single digit cap with a buffer. I felt really good out there today.
That's awesome @That post! I just realized that both your putting tutors are heading to Kentucky next week....

I got to looking at strokes gained data in ShotScope a few minutes ago.

When I started this thread a little over a month ago I was losing -2.92 strokes to my putting. Over the past 10 rounds I've been able to shave almost 2 strokes.
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.41.28 PM.png

I'm pretty pumped about this and going to keep dialing in and getting used to some of the tips Dan gave me.

I finally did it. I chopped my putter down an inch and added a new grip. I went with the same grip I have on an older Rossie White hot I used to game. It's a Winn Jumbo lite Pistol Grip. I find that the thicker grip helps quiet the wrists a bit which is good for me.

I haven't had the opportunity to really put the putter through it's paces since the change. I've only played once and it was on some shag carpet greens I wasn't used to. I did like how knocking the shaft down now forces me to get over the ball as I should. I used to get lazy with doing that.

I finally did it. I chopped my putter down an inch and added a new grip. I went with the same grip I have on an older Rossie White hot I used to game. It's a Winn Jumbo lite Pistol Grip. I find that the thicker grip helps quiet the wrists a bit which is good for me.

I haven't had the opportunity to really put the putter through it's paces since the change. I've only played once and it was on some shag carpet greens I wasn't used to. I did like how knocking the shaft down now forces me to get over the ball as I should. I used to get lazy with doing that.
can't wait to see how it works when you get it out over the next few rounds

I’ve been using ShotScope to practice and improve various areas of my game and have seen good results. Meanwhile my putting stats can be downright embarrassing.
View attachment 9103300
View attachment 9103301
View attachment 9103302
View attachment 9103303

As you can see I’m losing a massive amount of strokes to putting. This needs to change asap. It pretty much wipes out any strokes I gain elsewhere.

I have been taking around 30 minutes pre or post round 3 days a week to practice but I don’t think it’s very productive practice. I generally just roll a bunch of lag putts from 20-25’ out then walk up and try to hole them. Then I’ll try to make putts from around 10ft. I’m just not sure how to get better. I don’t have access or the room for a putting mat so that is out of the question.

I’m looking for drills or practice techniques that I can use on the practice greens at my home course. I’m willing and able to put in the work I’m just not sure where to start.

What suggestions or tips do you guys have?

One thing I've found that immediately improves speed (which is the most important factor in putting IMO) is to practice (and even play) without looking at the hole after the ball leaves the putter face. After just a few minutes of not looking at the hole, and I mean NOT looking at all until the ball stops, you'll start to know as soon as you make impact whether you're long or short, right or left. I'll even play entire rounds this way if I'm struggling with speed.

When practicing, roll the ball and leave your eyes where the ball was, and then try to listen to see if the ball goes in the hole. It's amazing how fast you'll develop a sense of where your ball is going as soon as you stroke it.

After a short break and false sense of accomplishment that I’d improved WE ARE BACK!!!

I three putted or got saved from having to by my partner on at least 10 out of 18 greens. Probably more I’ve blocked out the memories.

I’ve got 4 lessons left with a local pro. We didn’t mesh well on full swing stuff so these lessons have been on ice. It’s well past time to cash those in on putting lessons. Going to stop by tomorrow to talk to him and get some time scheduled

I’ll document those lessons and any progress here.

One thing I've found that immediately improves speed (which is the most important factor in putting IMO) is to practice (and even play) without looking at the hole after the ball leaves the putter face. After just a few minutes of not looking at the hole, and I mean NOT looking at all until the ball stops, you'll start to know as soon as you make impact whether you're long or short, right or left. I'll even play entire rounds this way if I'm struggling with speed.

When practicing, roll the ball and leave your eyes where the ball was, and then try to listen to see if the ball goes in the hole. It's amazing how fast you'll develop a sense of where your ball is going as soon as you stroke it.
I really like this. I remember doing this, probably should get back to it as I go long on lag putts when I look up too quick

After a short break and false sense of accomplishment that I’d improved WE ARE BACK!!!

I three putted or got saved from having to by my partner on at least 10 out of 18 greens. Probably more I’ve blocked out the memories.

I’ve got 4 lessons left with a local pro. We didn’t mesh well on full swing stuff so these lessons have been on ice. It’s well past time to cash those in on putting lessons. Going to stop by tomorrow to talk to him and get some time scheduled

I’ll document those lessons and any progress here.
Fwiw - they were really quick compared to anything else I’ve played over the last two months, not sure how your course is running on the greens right now so I wouldn’t say you are all the way back

Fwiw - they were really quick compared to anything else I’ve played over the last two months, not sure how your course is running on the greens right now so I wouldn’t say you are all the way back
They were rolling faster but speed of the greens doesn’t account for missing it a couple of feet right or left 🤣. It’s nice of you to not mention that part but it’s ‘honesty hour’.

They were rolling faster but speed of the greens doesn’t account for missing it a couple of feet right or left 🤣. It’s nice of you to not mention that part but it’s ‘honesty hour’.
Oh, it’s honest hour…

in that case let me tell you about… ;)

Home course…….
1665179366140.png

Got some good suggestions from some of my victory cup brothers. I’ve also changed from the lightest to heavier weights in the m craft. We’ll see.

Home course…….
View attachment 9125784

Got some good suggestions from some of my victory cup brothers. I’ve also changed from the lightest to heavier weights in the m craft. We’ll see.

I like the change to the heavier weights for you

What do I need to change?

It looks really active to me. Very quickly at the end of the stroke it looks like your head is coming up and your putter is moving back towards you, almost like a back, through, back stroke. You can see a slight hand/wrist break when you finish and pull the putter back after the stroke.

I'm guessing more technical folks than me can talk details of why but my hypothesis is with all that movement it's hard to find consistency in the stroke.

3:20ish for Jon Rahm, look how still he finishes

2:50 ish for Tiger

5:30 ish for Padraig

It looks really active to me. Very quickly at the end of the stroke it looks like your head is coming up and your putter is moving back towards you, almost like a back, through, back stroke. You can see a slight hand/wrist break when you finish and pull the putter back after the stroke.

I'm guessing more technical folks than me can talk details of why but my hypothesis is with all that movement it's hard to find consistency in the stroke.

3:20ish for Jon Rahm, look how still he finishes

2:50 ish for Tiger

5:30 ish for Padraig

I don't think I understand what to do to NOT make that happen. Am I gripping my putter wrong? The way I am gripping it my left wrist is never going to be flat, ever. I can't figure out an orientation to grip the putter to have that wrist flat. I tried to on video for a while. The only way I could make it happen is if I tiled the shaft forward so far that the putter face was and about a 30º angle pointing downwards. I can't imagine that's what I want.

I definitely have problems with looking up too early. That I know how to address. Breaking of the wrist I haven't a clue how to even start to not do that.

By wrist break I think he means that the angle of your left arm and the back of your hand changes through the stroke, mostly through the hitting area. The wrists and hands shouldn’t move during the stroke. And, you should be holding your finish instead of letting the putter head move back toward the address position.

By wrist break I think he means that the angle of your left arm and the back of your hand changes through the stroke, mostly through the hitting area. The wrists and hands shouldn’t move during the stroke. And, you should be holding your finish instead of letting the putter head move back toward the address position.
Yep, this what I was getting at. It's not that the arm and wrist are flat aligned, but simply that it seems to change a lot. I noticed more on the follow-thru but @MGoBlue with the eagle eyes also noticed it moving through the hitting area.

Granted this was measured from a screenshot so there is some fluff, but it shows what I think the two of us are seeing. During your follow-thru that angle starts to break down as the clubhead starts really outracing the rest of the stroke.

Down the line I didn't see much. Do you think you struggle more with speed or alignment? Wednesday it seemed more like speed, but that was just one round and those greens were fast, especially on the front.

1665195970680.png

Back