DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Played Cross Timbers in Azle this morning. What a hidden gem this place is!!

Tee boxes, fairways and greens are all suuuuuper lush and green. Course layout is good, there are a couple of blind tee shots so I had no clue where I was hitting...but now that I've run thru it I know where the trouble is and when you can go for it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tee boxes, fairways and greens are all suuuuuper lush and green. Course layout is good, there are a couple of blind tee shots so I had no clue where I was hitting...but now that I've run thru it I know where the trouble is and when you can go for it.

I have not been there in a few years, guess I need to get back over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played with the Pro from Cross Timbers last weekend in the Byron military Appreciation Tournament. Keith Harris. Talk about a stick, he was exceptional at the short game, and could POUND a drive

I played with the Pro from Cross Timbers last weekend in the Byron military Appreciation Tournament. Keith Harris. Talk about a stick, he was exceptional at the short game, and could POUND a drive
Kinda ironic...because this course is in the middle of nowhere (in terms of the DFW area) and you can/will easily drive right past it if you didn't know where it was.

Reminded me of Sugartree with the hills and trees. I cannot overstate the excellent conditions. Not sure if its always like this, but take advantage now!

Got a round in at Grapevine today. Course is in good shape. A couple of the greens were struggling while most were ok. They were a little slow.

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread is still active! Looks like I may be moving back to DFW this summer! Anxious to re-engage with this group!

Glad to see this thread is still active! Looks like I may be moving back to DFW this summer! Anxious to re-engage with this group!

It is but barely. I know I have been absent for the most part due to job changes and I sure don’t play that much anymore. I am trying to change that this year though. Heading up to Branson the last part of the week and hoping to play a couple of rounds with Shane.

It is but barely. I know I have been absent for the most part due to job changes and I sure don’t play that much anymore. I am trying to change that this year though. Heading up to Branson the last part of the week and hoping to play a couple of rounds with Shane.

There's quite a few of us that are still active, just not alot of convo here... Like you Phil, my work schedule has cut into my weekday golf job, so I've been primarily weekends only--and super early.

Welcome back to the NTX area @B-Mc ...courses are recovering from the ice/freeze this winter and we've had alot of rain this May, so courses should look great into July/August this year.

I was there a couple weeks ago and played Lake Arlington and Rangers. Rangers is in great shape!!

Burning some more vacation time off next week for a staycation and lots of golf...any DFW'ers wanna get a round in?

Sadly, my last week off I didnt get to try Stevens Park, but I am making a point to get there this time.

Burning some more vacation time off next week for a staycation and lots of golf...any DFW'ers wanna get a round in?

Sadly, my last week off I didnt get to try Stevens Park, but I am making a point to get there this time.

Wish I could but I will be out of town. Definitely get to Steven’s if you can.

Well got three rounds in in Branson the last three days. Unfortunately Payne’s Valley and National were booked and we could not get on.

e40ef48cbae41feb96ef49f5267d82d2.jpg

Last edited:
Going up to Hot Springs Village this coming weekend to visit friends. Supposed to play the Isabella course on Saturday weather permitting. I don't know yet which combination of 9s we'll be playing. I read that this was rated the best course in Arkansas for a few years. Really looking forward to playing something different.

Got a round in at Grapevine today. Course is in good shape. A couple of the greens were struggling while most were ok. They were a little slow.

I went to the range out their earlier this week. The new clubhouse they are building looks fantastic. The course looked great too. The plus side of the crazy amount of rain we got the last 4-5 weeks is most of the courses should be in fantastic shape this summer.

my SIL just recently moved to Plano from Michigan & also is visiting us this week. She's trying her best to convince my wife to move close to her. If it happens, I will be following this thread way more.

Last edited:
my SIL just recently moved to Plano from Michigan & also is visiting us this week. She's trying her best to convince my wife to move close to her. If it happens, I will be following this thread way more.
Do it, my wife and I regret leaving the area. I was just looking at houses down there on Zillow yesterday lol.

....most of the courses should be in fantastic shape this summer.
Unfortunately, The Bridges up in Gunter got hit hard by the Big Freeze. After being CPO for many weeks they finally, this week, let us drive out on the fairways with the exception of 3, 4, 5, 6 and 13. Several tee boxes lost all grass so they have a sodding program in place and I still think their greens are some of the best in North Texas for a daily fee course. When we joined the first of the year almost all of the fairway bunkers were unplayable and in need of repair and that was completed before the Korn Ferry qualifier and Local U.S. Open qualifying that were both held there. FYI, the tees were moved somewhat up for the Korn Ferry qualifier and 65s got in. For the U.S. Open qualifying they basically played the course form the tips and the low score was 68 by Bo Van Pelt.

I played the Bridges once and from what I remember the greens were the most annoying Ive ever been on.

I played the Bridges once and from what I remember the greens were the most annoying Ive ever been on.

There are some stupid greens out there. 6, 10, 12, 14 & 15 off the top of my head. But still fun course to play when conditions are good.

Unfortunately, The Bridges up in Gunter got hit hard by the Big Freeze. After being CPO for many weeks they finally, this week, let us drive out on the fairways with the exception of 3, 4, 5, 6 and 13. Several tee boxes lost all grass so they have a sodding program in place and I still think their greens are some of the best in North Texas for a daily fee course. When we joined the first of the year almost all of the fairway bunkers were unplayable and in need of repair and that was completed before the Korn Ferry qualifier and Local U.S. Open qualifying that were both held there. FYI, the tees were moved somewhat up for the Korn Ferry qualifier and 65s got in. For the U.S. Open qualifying they basically played the course form the tips and the low score was 68 by Bo Van Pelt.

My home course had faired OK through the big freeze. But having played a few other courses the last 2 weeks, I see where some got hit hard. I played Frisco Lakes last weekend and some the fairways in greens were in bad disrepair. I think #16 had 60% of the fairway in the landing area off the tee that was dead.

Part of me understood as it was some brutal weather this winter. But it was a bit of a tough pill to swallow for $79 when I'd played it in MUCH better condition for $50.

But supply and demand. It's pricey to play just about everywhere during the current golf boom.

I have always felt like Frisco Lakes cost more than it was worth. Its rare i go there

My home course had faired OK through the big freeze. But having played a few other courses the last 2 weeks, I see where some got hit hard. I played Frisco Lakes last weekend and some the fairways in greens were in bad disrepair. I think #16 had 60% of the fairway in the landing area off the tee that was dead.

Part of me understood as it was some brutal weather this winter. But it was a bit of a tough pill to swallow for $79 when I'd played it in MUCH better condition for $50.

But supply and demand. It's pricey to play just about everywhere during the current golf boom.

Try Texas Star in the afternoon

I have always felt like Frisco Lakes cost more than it was worth. Its rare i go there

I hear ya. It's not my favorite track if I was wide open. My buddy who I played with for years started teaching at a racetrack on the weekends. He texted me on Thursday that he had a rare Saturday to get out. GolfNow was pretty picked over by then, so options were really limited.

Back