DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Frisco, plano, mckinney, allen
Have you thought about Prosper? It’s farther north and growing fast like the whole area. I have a buddy that lives up there and belongs to Gentle Creek.

Have you thought about Prosper? It’s farther north and growing fast like the whole area. I have a buddy that lives up there and belongs to Gentle Creek.
Yes I have. One of my coworkers lives there. Says it awesome there. I am considering up there too.

He also took me to Ten 50 in Richardson for lunch. That was fantastic!

Housing market is kinda crazy!
Yep, to put it mildly. As mentioned Prosper and Celina area are booming with new builds right now. Daughter moved in to her house within last few months up in Celina.

He also took me to Ten 50 in Richardson for lunch
If you like BBQ then you need to try Hutchins. The location in McKinney had a fire and reopens in the next couple of weeks. There is also a location in Frisco. Went to the Frisco location for lunch yesterday. Was told it is best to not even try to go on Friday through Sunday as the length of the line is just crazy! Been a big fan of Hutchins since we moved here in '91. Often touted as some of the best in the Dallas area.

If you like BBQ then you need to try Hutchins. The location in McKinney had a fire and reopens in the next couple of weeks. There is also a location in Frisco. Went to the Frisco location for lunch yesterday. Was told it is best to not even try to go on Friday through Sunday as the length of the line is just crazy! Been a big fan of Hutchins since we moved here in '91. Often touted as some of the best in the Dallas area.
I'll definitely have to check Hutchins out!

Anybody want to get a round in on Thursday or Friday morning?

Anybody want to get a round in on Thursday or Friday morning?

I am out of town this week. But love getting out on Fridays.

Well its official. We head to Allen end of this month. House closing on Friday. I will live walking distance (maybe?) to Twin Creeks actually. Any other recommendations?

Pecan Hollow is one of my favorites in that area!

I'd second Pecan Hollow. Fun layout. Greens are normally in really good shape. Only downside is bermuda can get really thin in the winter. And it seems to flood when it rains pretty hard.

Well its official. We head to Allen end of this month. House closing on Friday. I will live walking distance (maybe?) to Twin Creeks actually. Any other recommendations?

As mentioned above, PH is a good track in that area.

I live further west, but my unsolicited takes on the tracks out that way.

Twin Creeks - fun track. Scorable. Shot one of my best rounds out there. Can get crowded at times.

Watters Creek - A decent track but has a few holes with tricky layouts that often ruin my round out there. Has a 9 hole exec course as well if you're looking to get around quick.

Plantation - Generic course cut through a neighborhood. Feels like houses are on top of the course. Average shape most of the time. Not high on my replay list.

Westridge - Has 6 par 3, 6 par 4s, and 6 par 5s. It is pretty wide open. Fun course to play.

Firewheel (Bridges, Lakes, Old course) - 3 different courses. Bridges is actually a separate complex. It is the nicest of the 3 courses. Good layout, usually in good shape. Fun to play. Firewheel Lakes is a tough course. Lots of water. Target golf. Can definitely bite. Old course is the worst course of the 3. Only played it once. The guys I play with rarely book it when we play.

Woodbridge - is a bit east in Wylie. I've only played it twice but loved it.

Heritage Ranch - Fantastic course. I think it's part of the senior facility out there, so times tee times are limited and prices are high for the area, but I love playing there.

There are a ton of good tracks in the metroplex. Welcome to DFW!

Twin Creeks - fun track. Scorable. Shot one of my best rounds out there. Can get crowded at times.

Watters Creek - A decent track but has a few holes with tricky layouts that often ruin my round out there. Has a 9 hole exec course as well if you're looking to get around quick.

Plantation - Generic course cut through a neighborhood. Feels like houses are on top of the course. Average shape most of the time. Not high on my replay list.

Westridge - Has 6 par 3, 6 par 4s, and 6 par 5s. It is pretty wide open. Fun course to play.

Firewheel (Bridges, Lakes, Old course) - 3 different courses. Bridges is actually a separate complex. It is the nicest of the 3 courses. Good layout, usually in good shape. Fun to play. Firewheel Lakes is a tough course. Lots of water. Target golf. Can definitely bite. Old course is the worst course of the 3. Only played it once. The guys I play with rarely book it when we play.

Heritage Ranch - Fantastic course. I think it's part of the senior facility out there, so times tee times are limited and prices are high for the area, but I love playing there.

awesome info thank you! maybe we can get a round together sometime

Of this list, I have played Firewheel Lakes and Woodbridge. Since I live east, I play Waterview in Rowlett most and sometimes Buffalo Creek.

Waterview is an ok track, but the back 9 is closed for a few months now due to gas line work.

Woodbridge is a good one though and not too far from Allen. Playing there on Sunday morning (y)

Congrats!

But you are too far east.;)

Go to the Tribute and All American once in a while. It's in the Colony, down 121, a few miles before i-35.

Recent reviews say the above are not worth the money,

If you want a consistently good experience, just keep on going down 121 to Texas Star.

Last edited:
Congrats!

But you are too far east.;)

Go to the Tribute and All American once in a while. It's in the Colony, down 121, a few miles before i-35.

Recent reviews say the above are not worth the money,

If you want a consistently good experience, just keep on going down 121 to Texas Star.

Texas Star is one of my favorite courses in the metroplex. I played there a couple of weeks ago and it was in tremendous shape. And I was shocked that while everybody else has hiked their prices, Texas Star's prices remained steady. If I'm going to pay higher prices, I'd rather spend it there than courses that have jacked up their weekend rates higher than TS. (Looking at your Coyote Ridge, Sky Creek Ranch, Bridlewood, Tour 18)

Texas Star is one of my favorite courses in the metroplex. I played there a couple of weeks ago and it was in tremendous shape. And I was shocked that while everybody else has hiked their prices, Texas Star's prices remained steady. If I'm going to pay higher prices, I'd rather spend it there than courses that have jacked up their weekend rates higher than TS. (Looking at your Coyote Ridge, Sky Creek Ranch, Bridlewood, Tour 18)
Definitely need to get to Texas Star sometime soon. Have heard nothing but good about that one.

I live near Bridlewood but don't play it -- I'm on the range frequently.

And if you can take the afternoon heat, the rates are even lower at Texas Star - $49 or below

I live near Bridlewood but don't play it -- I'm on the range frequently.

And if you can take the afternoon heat, the rates are even lower at Texas Star - $49 or below

Bridlewood raised their weekend rate to $105. That's just too high for that course. It's a nice track, but no way it should be 35% more than Texas Star. At that rate you need the course needs to be in pristine shape, with first rate amenities and outstanding pace of play. IIRC Bridlewood still does 8 minute tee times which is a recipe for long rounds when it's busy. Texas Star (and a many other courses) have moved to 10 minute tee times to maintain pace of play.

But I get it. Golf demand is through the roof right now. They are selling out at those prices, so they gotta strike while the iron is hot.

You're right about the twilight prices.

Bridlewood raised their weekend rate to $105. That's just too high for that course. It's a nice track, but no way it should be 35% more than Texas Star. At that rate you need the course needs to be in pristine shape, with first rate amenities and outstanding pace of play. IIRC Bridlewood still does 8 minute tee times which is a recipe for long rounds when it's busy. Texas Star (and a many other courses) have moved to 10 minute tee times to maintain pace of play.

But I get it. Golf demand is through the roof right now. They are selling out at those prices, so they gotta strike while the iron is hot.

You're right about the twilight prices.

I haven't even checked on Bridlewood prices - Dominion operates that course. 105 for that course is $40 more dollars than it is worth in my judgment. What that tells me is that they don't want outside play - the members and range members get deals and they are probably filling up the tee times. I need to grab a cart and just play a few holes right before dark.

I haven't even checked on Bridlewood prices - Dominion operates that course. 105 for that course is $40 more dollars than it is worth in my judgment. What that tells me is that they don't want outside play - the members and range members get deals and they are probably filling up the tee times. I need to grab a cart and just play a few holes right before dark.

I think Dominion sold them. They are now owned by the same company that owns Sky Creek Ranch and Westridge. Sky Creek Ranch is the same $105 weekend/$79 weekend rate. The Loyalty club rate is only $10 less. I heard even the Men's League only gets the loyalty rate for early weekend tee times, not the discounted rate they used to get in past.

They do offer Practice/Learn/Play memberships that give highly discounted twilight times. But those are book up pretty quickly. But everything is cyclical. The pandemic brought a lot of people to golf. I think folks will drift back to other activities over the next year and things (hopefully) will get back to normal.

I totally agree with you on the price. That's a $65 track, not a $105 track.

Actually, Advance Golf Partners (Advance Golf Partners | Golf Course Management - Our Clubs) manages Bridlewood, along with Westridge and Sky Creek Ranch in this area. They effectively jacked the "membership" price up more than double while dropping Friday from the weekday deal at Westridge to match Bridlewood and Sky Creek Ranch. The problem is, Westridge has none of the amenities that the other two offer though they claimed there was the intent to add those things. Basically, they wanted us to pre-pay for their capital investments.

Actually, Advance Golf Partners (Advance Golf Partners | Golf Course Management - Our Clubs) manages Bridlewood, along with Westridge and Sky Creek Ranch in this area. They effectively jacked the "membership" price up more than double while dropping Friday from the weekday deal at Westridge to match Bridlewood and Sky Creek Ranch. The problem is, Westridge has none of the amenities that the other two offer though they claimed there was the intent to add those things. Basically, they wanted us to pre-pay for their capital investments.

I'm always the last to know about management changes. Thanks. I only use Bridlewood for the range and chipping/putting area. Perhaps on bad weather days, I'll go out and play it if the price is right or walk out before sunset for a few holes.

I only use Bridlewood for the range....
Did you sign up for their Practice Learn Play (PLP) program? You pay a reasonable monthly fee then get greatly reduced rates to play that vary with the time of day. Westridge has that program which is where I had the weekday membership for the previous three years. They priced us out of the market for the amount of golf we play ($18/round fee required - riding or walking).

Did you sign up for their Practice Learn Play (PLP) program? You pay a reasonable monthly fee then get greatly reduced rates to play that vary with the time of day. Westridge has that program which is where I had the weekday membership for the previous three years. They priced us out of the market for the amount of golf we play ($18/round fee required - riding or walking).

Yes, I am PLP - last time I checked, it was $58/month.

I've been going to Bridlewood, primarily to use the range for 10 yrs. Seen several mgmt changes - when they put mats out, I thought something had happened. We've never had mats since Bridlewood opened until a month ago. Pissed me off a bit.

Back