DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

I used to belong to the Dye Course at Stonebridge Ranch and they added mats there and at The Ranch course. Of course they said they were only to be used due to inclement weather but that turned out to be bogus. Before joining there, I was a member at Eldorado Country Club and they, too, added mats and last I heard you could only hit off grass on weekends. I think there is one day a week, I don't recall if is Tuesday or Thursday, where mats are used at Westridge. I don't know what good mats cost but I've never felt that hitting irons off them is very good for your clubs no matter how good the mat.

Yes, I am PLP - last time I checked, it was $58/month.

I've been going to Bridlewood, primarily to use the range for 10 yrs. Seen several mgmt changes - when they put mats out, I thought something had happened. We've never had mats since Bridlewood opened until a month ago. Pissed me off a bit.

I'm the same as you, I've practiced out there for years and years as it was close.

I think there was an email that they were putting in mats to help take pressure off the range and as an option for days the range was too wet. But they were going to 'mats only' for a few months to give the range a chance to recover. I HATE mats. Absolutely refuse to practice on them.

IMO, the range had gone downhill over the last few years. Just too much traffic. Then they inexplicably tried to resod last year right as it was opening back from the pandemic. The new base was too sandy and it wasn't nearly as hardy as it had been in the past. Then with the golf boom it seemed like the range was torn up by early afternoon every day. I just use it for short game practice. But even that is hard because there are so many junior/youth camps - it always seems packed.

A few years ago, I started going over to Timbercreek in Lewisville to practice. They had fantastic turf. But the owner sold it this spring and the new owners are converting it into something else. Then Haney sold their Lewisville location. Grapevine has an OK range, but it's pretty small and usually crowded. I've started going to Highlands Performance Golf Center (formerly Golden Bear) in Carrollton for practice. It's not as convenient as being less than 10 minutes away...but it's an exceptionally good practice facility.

I'm looking at Twin Creek's website for a membership program. Arcis Prime is $59/mo (12mo commitment). Curious if it's worth it. I'd have to play 4 rounds for it to make sense from a cost perspective but any other benefits to it outside of unlimited range balls? Are the other participating courses any good?

Played The Tribute today for the first time. It was in very good shape. Now I’m not sure it was worth the price but looked and played great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Played The Tribute today for the first time. It was in very good shape. Now I’m not sure it was worth the price but looked and played great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my top 3 favorite courses in DFW. They used to have pretty good email specials before the golf boom.

Anyone getting out for a Christmas Eve Morning round?

Last edited:
Got room ?

They are filled up now.

Plenty of room on Sat and Sunday.

Playing on Sunday at 11:30. I have 30% off coupons and I have a few extra

They are filled up now.

Plenty of room on Sat and Sunday.

Playing on Sunday at 11:30. I have 30% off coupons and I have a few extra

Definitely, Count me in on Sunday, have not played the Star in years.....thank you

Definitely, Count me in on Sunday, have not played the Star in years.....thank you

Let me edit the number of players. They just raised prices a bit so 30% off works well.

Let me edit the number of players. They just raised prices a bit so 30% off works well.

Success. PM me in a few days.

I need to have my wedge loft checked/adjusted. Other than PGASS or GolfGalaxy, where could I go? I don’t want it to take weeks… I’m in Arlington so somewhere nearby would be great. I thought about going to Dallas Golf, but it’s a haul to get over there and not sure if they could do it while I wait.

I need to have my wedge loft checked/adjusted. Other than PGASS or GolfGalaxy, where could I go? I don’t want it to take weeks… I’m in Arlington so somewhere nearby would be great. I thought about going to Dallas Golf, but it’s a haul to get over there and not sure if they could do it while I wait.

Sellinger's Power Golf around Roanoke - call them

Compugolf in Carrollton does fittings and club builds. They fit me for a set of new shafts for my irons many years ago. I don't know if they do club repair and loft/lie adjustments on other equipment. You could call and ask. http://compugolfcenter.com/

Hey boys. @chasDog & I are starting our golf outings this year (stated today, 1st round of the year). We lost our 3rd @cwmonroe87 last year to the East coast so looking for 1-2 guys that want to play consistently starting in a few weeks. We play most any course that seems to be in good shape at the time. Mostly N, Dallas, Arlington & surrounding areas. DM me if interested. Love to get a solid group this year.

Hey boys. @chasDog & I are starting our golf outings this year (stated today, 1st round of the year). We lost our 3rd @cwmonroe87 last year to the East coast so looking for 1-2 guys that want to play consistently starting in a few weeks. We play most any course that seems to be in good shape at the time. Mostly N, Dallas, Arlington & surrounding areas. DM me if interested. Love to get a solid group this year.

Few DM’s so far but let me know if interested!

Played Texas Star yesterday (Sunday Mar 20). Worst condition I've seen in over a decade due to no rain. Gnarly winter grass, tight lies, soil not compacted. You'd hit a drive, when it hit ground, you'd get a puff of dust. Being owned by the City of Euless, thought they'd have water - bumpy greens, too much play and no one except me apparently, fixing ball marks. At least the round was over in 3:45.

Played Texas Star yesterday (Sunday Mar 20). Worst condition I've seen in over a decade due to no rain. Gnarly winter grass, tight lies, soil not compacted. You'd hit a drive, when it hit ground, you'd get a puff of dust. Being owned by the City of Euless, thought they'd have water - bumpy greens, too much play and no one except me apparently, fixing ball marks. At least the round was over in 3:45.

that’s a bummer… i just made a tee time for there on Friday…

that’s a bummer… i just made a tee time for there on Friday…

If we get rain today and later, it will help, but it needs growth. Too much play - I've never seen the greens that bumpy but I was playing from 4-7:45 pm and just made it in with light. But ball marks galore.

They had some golfers that looked like they had torn up the course in places - divots - about 10 of them, in a weird place - all together. It was as if someone just hacked away.

Stay shallow and move the ball back a little if it does not rain and you're hitting on turf.

sad to hear. Their conditions have traditionally been among the best. They (used to?) limit cart usage to help with wear. Hopefully things will improve with the rain this week and spring arriving.

sad to hear. Their conditions have traditionally been among the best. They (used to?) limit cart usage to help with wear. Hopefully things will improve with the rain this week and spring arriving.

They need to tell people to use the sidewalks when possible.

And to REPAIR ball marks.

They need to tell people to use the sidewalks when possible.

And to REPAIR ball marks.

Playing dormant Bermuda is a small price to pay for year round golf. But SO ready for the courses to green up. Played the revamped Buffalo Creek on Saturday. It was in good shape. But felt like everything was dry and dusty like you describe Texas Star.

Back