DG 105 vs Modus 105

msm210

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently playing the 2019 TM P790 with the DG 105 in S300 and looking very hard at the JPX 921 Forged with either the Modus 105 or 120 stiff.

Any comparison on how the DG 105 plays compared to the Modus 105? With the DG, I have a mid-high ball flight, which I like. I have hit the 921’s with both Modus shafts and can’t tell if one goes higher than the other, and I am going to get fit before making a final decision.

Looking for thoughts between these two shaft brands.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I tested the 105 shafts in stiff, the primary difference was feel. The Modus felt so smooth while the DG felt crisp. The difference in the data was so close my decision came down to feel so I went Modus. I’m now in Modus 120 Stiff for the extra weight and firmer tip section without losing the smooth feel I love so much.

I played Modus 105 in my irons last year and DG105 in my irons this year.

Modus launched higher and seemed to be better with a smoother tempo, never fet truly comfortable with these

DG105s are great seemed to work with more swings than the smoother tempo little bit lower launching

When I tested the 105 shafts in stiff, the primary difference was feel. The Modus felt so smooth while the DG felt crisp. The difference in the data was so close my decision came down to feel so I went Modus. I’m now in Modus 120 Stiff for the extra weight and firmer tip section without losing the smooth feel I love so much.

Changing to the 120’s, what did you experience regarding height, dispersion, feel and distance? When hitting the 921’s, I’ve been switching between the 105’s & 120’s and noticed a little longer distance in the 105’s. I’ve read the 105’s are supposed to be a little higher ball flight but I’m not sure I’m seeing that.

Thanks for your feedback!

Changing to the 120’s, what did you experience regarding height, dispersion, feel and distance? When hitting the 921’s, I’ve been switching between the 105’s & 120’s and noticed a little longer distance in the 105’s. I’ve read the 105’s are supposed to be a little higher ball flight but I’m not sure I’m seeing that.

Thanks for your feedback!

Switching to 120 was more or less a seamless transition. The butt section stiffness of the 120 and 105 are very close where the difference comes is in the mid and tip sections. The 120 is softer in the mid and stiffer in the tip. With the 120, I sense where the shaft is during the swing because I feel the shaft loading more likely due to the softer (than the 105) mid section. Many golfers say the 120 is weak to flex however I don’t believe this is true. I think the softness they feel is a byproduct of the bend profile allowing the golfer to feel the shaft load. The 120 seems better for my swing timing as I hit far fewer thin shots. I’m a shallow swinger that has been called an “extreme scuffer” but with the 120 I have started taking a thin divot. The 120 gives me excellent dispersion particularly front to back distance control which is a testament to a better strike consistency and quality versus 105. Number-wise, I may be giving up 2-3 yards from the 105 but the tighter overall dispersion makes the distance loss a no brainer. Spin, peak height and descent were very similar between the shafts.

Back