Dhartmann34's Swing Battle and Journey....

Yeah he's a good dude. His name is Tim Overman. Owns Golf In Motion in Chicago. I drive an hour and 20 mins to see him.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

he seems like a super positive guy, and the positions he got you in looked great. those drills seemed pretty intuitive, and i might try some myself. i love the idea of the right ribcage rotating up and back. i actually tried that a little with putting and it translated well.

keep posting in here. progress looks great.

he seems like a super positive guy, and the positions he got you in looked great. those drills seemed pretty intuitive, and i might try some myself. i love the idea of the right ribcage rotating up and back. i actually tried that a little with putting and it translated well.

keep posting in here. progress looks great.
Thanks man. I was struggling hard the past 7-8 months and needed a lesson bad. He had a lesson cancel before mine and I got there early, so we had an hour and a half to work. Very beneficial to me. Those drills are money. He wants me to work on them for a few weeks without hitting a ball so that's what I'm doing.

His energy is great! And that's why I drive 1:20+ each way to see him.

Let me know what you think of the drills and how they help.

Thanks. Your instructor seems like a cool guy to work with. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks. Your instructor seems like a cool guy to work with. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Thanks!

So I've been slacking on paying my lessons. Been a busy, and at times rough part year. Had our first child which was amazing. Lost my mother inlaw, which was awful. Started a new business, which is all sorts of stuff... But great.

But now I need to get back to my promise to myself of giving my game everything I can.

If you look through the thread, I've had major issues of being too long with my swing and having a while bunch of bad come from that. I've been focusing on fixing a lot of different things, instead of focusing on one thing at a time. So I had a chat with my instructor, and the focus will be on a main thing, instead of a few main things.

I've also determined, I need to stop taking things so literally... I'm a great student, but if someone tells me to squeeze my arm pits during the swing, I'm squeezing like there's no tomorrow. I haven't been good at piecing things together. So I need to really feel certain things and focus on how they work together... Instead of trying to do 5 different things during the swing. I tend to get all wonky, inside, drop the club, and then come in extremely steep! But I've done it so long, I make it work somewhat.

Today we worked on feeling the club shadow out. We used a cool drop with a 15 lb weight. It almost immediately helped me feel what I haven't been able to do in years... Which is shallowing the club, and coming from the inside. I was striking the ball solid, essentially immediately. My instructor didn't think I'd even hit it on the club face. Before I swung he said "You'll probably hit this right" ... meaning shank it. But I hit it square, and boom! I definitely had a big smile on my face setting the club out in front of me, get vertical, and shallow out on the downswing. Felt really really good. Much easier than my normal swing.

The weight drill was difficult, but I really enjoyed it. And I can do it at home which I'm looking forward to.

I'd love to hear your feedback! Next lesson in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

First of all - So sorry for your loss! That had to be rough (And still is I'm sure). Hang in there brother!

That weight drill is so cool! I've never seen that before, but the move is undeniably better. It's interesting to see this because I just bought a Tour Striker PlaneMate to help work on those same feels & and path/movements. (I haven't used it yet because I've been recovering from gallbladder surgery, but I'll let you know ho it's working out).

Your instructor mentioned "work your little Tour Striker with this move". Is he referring to the Tour Striker ball that hangs on a lanyard?

First of all - So sorry for your loss! That had to be rough (And still is I'm sure). Hang in there brother!

That weight drill is so cool! I've never seen that before, but the move is undeniably better. It's interesting to see this because I just bought a Tour Striker PlaneMate to help work on those same feels & and path/movements. (I haven't used it yet because I've been recovering from gallbladder surgery, but I'll let you know ho it's working out).

Your instructor mentioned "work your little Tour Striker with this move". Is he referring to the Tour Striker ball that hangs on a lanyard?
Thank you sir. Losing her at such as young age unexpectedly just doesn't seem fair. But I suppose that's life sometimes. I just wish she was able to retire and enjoy Christmas and her big trip they had planned. But we'll get past it over time.

I really like the drill. He had me using a 15lb weight. I was like "you know I'm weak right?" But it really helps me feel it.

The Power Package is good at helping with angles and such, but it doesn't help me with getting the path right. I need to be able to shallow out and not get so steep and over the top. This drill, and doing the same thing with a club, have almost immediate results... And now I can finally feel how it's supposed to feel.

I was really happy with the strokes afterwards and the swing is a lot less effort than my normal swing. Tim said it's because I'm not fighting physics. I told him that's ironic because I fight physics when I had to take it in school too! Such a bad subject.

Anyway, I worked in the drill a lot last night and I'm going to try and do it more today. Then the real test.... On the course tomorrow.

Hit em well!

When you use the weight, do you do a certain number of slow motion reps? Or do you shoot for a specific time spent doing the drill?

I imagine always slow motion with that much weight?

Hit em well!

When you use the weight, do you do a certain number of slow motion reps? Or do you shoot for a specific time spent doing the drill?

I imagine always slow motion with that much weight?
I've been doing slow repetitions. But in all honesty, I'm tired after about 5. Then I do same drill with the golf club. For me it's really just trying to feel the club shallowing out. Which is different for me because I've always gotten steep.

Thanks. Are you also doing drills with a ball between your arms?

Thanks. Are you also doing drills with a ball between your arms?
I will be once my wife gets back home. She's got my smartball in my car that's partied at the airport.

good stuff d! I love the positions when you had the ball between your arms.

Well today was fun or on the course. We were just it there to get some seeing in. Temps were okay. Winds were high. I really focused on shallowing the club out. I didn't get any video or anything, but the swings felt a lot more effortless than I'm used to, which is good. Had some really good tee balls, with driver and irons. Had a few ugly tee balls with both as well.

I did hit the toughest part 3 on the course, and I'd say in my county, both times we played it. I usually don't hit it more than a handful of times during the season if I'm lucky.

Pretty happy with the ball striking today, although definitely a ways to go. Going to keep working on my drills, and then play a few rounds in Austin later this week. I'm excited to see where things go from here. So far, so good.

Played today down in Texas. Was fun hitting some balls on the range before the round. Really working on feeling the club shallowing out. Also worked on the weight drill while I was at the gym in the morning.

On the course I hit some really solid shots today... But the old stuff really does a number trying to sneak in. I've gotta focus on that feeling of the shallowing... And a slow practice swing beforehand helps.

I had a 315 yard drive in a par 5, and then a 225 yard 4 iron onto the green. 2 great shots. But i hit some really poor shots that were a mix of a lot of different movements.

The focus remains on my drills and I'll continue to keep that going.

Seems many courses are closing down for a couple weeks back home, so I won't be playing for a while. Plenty of time to practice.

Last edited:
Been working on the weight drill and feeling the shallowing out a lot since we're essentially in quarantine. Once the weather gets a bit nicer, I'll be heading out to the range. But don't worry, I'll be maintaining my distance from other folks. But the fresh air and outdoor time will certainly help with my stir crazy self.

Been working on the weight drill and feeling the shallowing out a lot since we're essentially in quarantine. Once the weather gets a bit nicer, I'll be heading out to the range. But don't worry, I'll be maintaining my distance from other folks. But the fresh air and outdoor time will certainly help with my stir crazy self.

Nice results so far, it sounds like. I'm hoping to get outside & do some work but lots of rain in the forecast now

Nice results so far, it sounds like. I'm hoping to get outside & do some work but lots of rain in the forecast now
Yeah raining and Carona Virus keeping things low key here.

So I was frustrated with the results I was getting, after doing my drills and working on the things I was supposed to work on. So I emailed my instructor and passed along my thoughts and he suggested that while it'll be tough and sound strange, he wanted me to swing at 60% during my next round.

He reasoned that since my swings during my lessons were great at the slower speed, I should try that same thing to ease my tempo.

So when I went to play on Wednesday, that's what I did. I stepped up and took two slow practice swings and then stepped up to the ball and swung with that same slower tempo.

Results were surprisingly really good. I was hitting the ball solid, and the strikes were solid. Distances were about the same and of course I had some swings that were not so good, but focusing on the slower tempo through the swing is key I believe. And I am excited to get out there and try it again!

Last edited:
Nice! It's always surprising to me that swinging slower seems to make the ball go farther and definitely straighter & more consistent.

Nice! It's always surprising to me that swinging slower seems to make the ball go farther and definitely straighter & more consistent.
I think they first promote more center contact which is obvious, but I think what is not obvious is that they promote better clubhead speed. I think when we swing fast that is often from the top and then we are out of whack and our subconscious adjusts to get the clubhead back to the ball and that causes deceleration at the ball so while we moved fast from the top down, we are actually moving slower at the ball and when our hands slow down, the head is not where we want it to be anymore either which also causes erratic directional launch.

I think they first promote more center contact which is obvious, but I think what is not obvious is that they promote better clubhead speed. I think when we swing fast that is often from the top and then we are out of whack and our subconscious adjusts to get the clubhead back to the ball and that causes deceleration at the ball so while we moved fast from the top down, we are actually moving slower at the ball and when our hands slow down, the head is not where we want it to be anymore either which also causes erratic directional launch.

And I also imagine for most people, it promotes little/no forward shaft lean as we try to flip hands to catch up and keep it moving fast, so the dynamic loft is way too high & you hit those weak shots that go nowhere even though you're "swinging hard". OK, then, maybe it's just me;). I'm all about that powerless effort, bro!

Haven't been able to get a lesson with the shut down, but I have been doing my drills.

I really like this weight drill my instructor gave me last time I was in. It's meant to over exaggerate the feeling of shallowing out the club. I also threw in the smartball for good measure. Here's how it looks.

It's amazing how short the golf swing feels with these drills... But on video it's actually pretty standard. Trying to retrain my brain is difficult... But I'm trying.

Working on it without the ball and weight today. Still long, but coming from the inside, instead of Steep and over the top.... Which is the goal.

Haven't been able to get a lesson with the shut down, but I have been doing my drills.

I really like this weight drill my instructor gave me last time I was in. It's meant to over exaggerate the feeling of shallowing out the club. I also threw in the smartball for good measure. Here's how it looks.

Thanks for posting. I need to do this drill!

Back