Did anyone in your family play golf when you got started?

SouthernShred

'16 Grandaddy Champ - Team Unity
Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking about my Dad recently and his reaction to my interest in golf...first, he bought me some musclebacks at the Army thrift store at the base we were on at the time. Then, he dumped me out at the range and eventually the local par 3 course for a bit of guidance from some old timers. I had been playing a while before he got interested in playing. Prior to that, I was the only person in my family, immediate or extended, to play the game.

Anyone else "break the ground" for your family?

Yeah my Grandpa has played forever and tried to get me to play early in middle school and high school. Wish I would have listened to him sooner. Love this sport so much

I was the first in my family. My brother and dad played for awhile but gave it up. I mostly play solo now

my uncle. when we first came to CONUS, after my dad retired, he would take me and brother out so we could get out of the house...

Yes, I started playing with my Dad and brother when we were growing up. Brother and I shared a set of old persimmon woods and Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear irons. I remember that we really trashed those woods with the bindings pretty much all gone after several years of playing. Dad had upgraded to a set of Wilson clubs at the time.

I always have my dad in the back of my head when I am taking a swing. Especially when I top a shot or really go fat on one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: "KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!!" Ah, good times. :LOL:

My dad and I literally started golf at the same time. He was 34, and I was 11. He ended up playing for a few years. I played some off and on for a couple of years. I had one friend who golfed and was focused on so many other things back then. I doubt I played golf with my dad more than 5 times. My mom claims she played some golf when she was a kid. Not sure how much. It was a different sports world for women back in those days. Her older brother and all of his kids were big golfers. After my early minimal start, I didn't play until I was in my 50s.

No, only me, but my dad's employer paid for him to be a member at the local club so I got to play for free.

I was the first in my family to play. I do have some cousins who play but I haven't had the chance to tee up with them yet.

Nope not a single person.. in fact not much athletic involvement from anyone in my family lol got into it because of friends from college

My grandfather played but I was much too young when he was alive to take part with him. I have a cousin who did and still tells me stories about it when we get together a couple times a year to play. My oldest brother has also been playing as long as I can remember and the other brother plays occasionally but that’s like 1 round a year. I mostly picked it up when my oldest son was born. I wanted something we could enjoy together and make memories as I got too old for other activities and he grew up.

I sure didn't break ground. My grandpa was a local legend and taught me to play when I was little. If anything, my playing discouraged others in the family. My mom was decent, dad... eh, grandma played, etc. When I shot even par from the men's tees at like 13 years old it suddenly became just grandpa and I out there most of the time.

We don't have kids or much family ourselves. I did get my wife out there to start playing when I took it up again last year though. Her job is changing and she'll have more time to play this year. She's excited. And one of her friends' kids loves when I take him out, too. He's little, but learning FAST. I think if I lived near one of my brothers-in-law I'd get him into it. He would really take to it, and that dude could use something like that in his life.

My dad went to the golf course with a set of mixed clubs. For him it was more about how many beers he could drink.

I was the first to take the game seriously.

Not really.

A family friend left a bunch of stuff in our garage when they moved including 2 sets of old golf clubs. I started hitting balls in the yard when I was 9 or 10 then started playing with my now stepdad when I was 12.

Not a single family member played golf. I started playing and now there are about 6 of that play.

Not really. My mom played a bit when she first retired. I picked up the game in July I think. I went solo for a few months until I started playing with an old middle school friend.

Not really. My dad had a set of clubs in the basement, but he hadn't played since before I was born, or possibly before he and my mom got married. So most likely some time in the mid to late 1960s.

I started playing in my late 20s. My son took up golf as a teenager and was better than me within 6 months.

My grandfather, dad and uncle all played. Unfortunately, my grandfather passed when I was really young so never got to play with him. Did share many great rounds with my dad and uncle though.

A couple of my cousins got me started when I was a kid, but other then that & couple of uncles, none of my immediate family play. Even now my wife & daughter both despise it, but my father & brother in-law both play.

No one in my family played. Two family friends took me out for my “formative years”. I was already in high school by that time. And only got on the golf team my senior year. Being a small farm town I made the squad.

Only me. I picked it up after law school. A friend played and helped me put together a starter bag sufficient to get me hooked on the game.

My dad was a 2 handicap when he got me my 1st set of clubs at age 7. It was a MacGregor set of 6 clubs. 3-5-7-9 putter and driver. My grandfather also played but I never got a chance to play with him.

Legacy on my part... grandfather on mother’s side played. Both parents played. Mom’s brother was a very accomplished golfer and competed on the state level. My first set was an old set of my mother’s that was cut down.
We lived in a small town and my dad was one of the organizers of the group that bought farmland and actually built the course when I was about 8 years old.

I was very lucky to be born into a golfing family. I have been playing from the time I could walk.

My dad would play his Saturday game and my mom, brother and I would follow along. The running joke is my mom taught us how to golf and my dad just took the credit.

My mom and dad eventually moved us to a school district that had a golf team and my dad became the manager of our golf course that we lived across the street from.

My dad played while I was in middle school and that's how I got started.

Back