Did I get a good deal? Used Supertri, Miyazaki Black 61 stiff, PL Platinum for $265

cmoors

Resident Swinger
Reaction score
Handicap
Really wanted to buy a Miyazaki Black 61 stiff and got this deal on Ebay.

Just wondering if this was a good deal or not...although it's too late now!

I've hit the shaft before and the driver but neither together.

Thanks.

If it's not a fake or clone then yes you got a very good deal. I believe the shaft alone costs more than that or almost that. The super tri is even more.

Make sure you check feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I saw a few stores selling the Miyazaki's for $250 new, but I haven't seen many transactions on the secondary market so I had no idea what it was worth used.

Figured the shaft was probably worth about $150 used, as well as the SuperTri head...so it seemed like a decent deal assuming the condition is ok.

Guy I bought it from was very cool and threw in an extra adapter as well.

Hope they're real! Feedback looked solid.

What is PL Platinum? Pro Launch?

Yes JB. I'm slowly copying your bag ;)

You guys keep talking about Miyazaki's so I've been on the hunt for this shaft (I hit it once before).

The seller was awesome; he threw in an extra adapter and told me I just need a ferrule?

Here's what I got:

This auction is for a Taylormade R9 Supertri 10.5 degree driver.It comes with a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61g stiff shaft with a R9 TP adapter (2009 version).I am also including a Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75g X-stiff shaft as a bonus.Both shafts measure 44 1/4 " from butt of grip to the tip of the adapter.The club plays at approx 45" with the shaft installed

Not sure I'd hit the X-stiff (my favorite shaft is still the PL Red stiff) but I can always find a home for it.

Really wanted to buy a Miyazaki Black 61 stiff and got this deal on Ebay.

I've hit the shaft before and the driver but neither together.

Thanks.

damn that was you? I had the high bid of 260 with 4 seconds left! congrats on the win

hahahaha, get out of the elevator and you may have won

Yes JB. I'm slowly copying your bag ;)

You guys keep talking about Miyazaki's so I've been on the hunt for this shaft (I hit it once before).

The seller was awesome; he threw in an extra adapter and told me I just need a ferrule?

Here's what I got:

This auction is for a Taylormade R9 Supertri 10.5 degree driver.It comes with a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61g stiff shaft with a R9 TP adapter (2009 version).I am also including a Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75g X-stiff shaft as a bonus.Both shafts measure 44 1/4 " from butt of grip to the tip of the adapter.The club plays at approx 45" with the shaft installed

Not sure I'd hit the X-stiff (my favorite shaft is still the PL Red stiff) but I can always find a home for it.

Then I would say for the sum of the parts, the price was decent assuming everything is legit.

By the way, I play the Blue...hehe

hahahaha, get out of the elevator and you may have won

haha i said to Jenn, let me throw a quick bid in, saw I was the highest with 4 seconds left, hit refresh and I lost! oh well

Sounds like a good deal but isn't the super tri an older model now with 2011's being announced?

I noticed the older driver models get discounted to about $150 brand new no matter what their msrp when I was shopping for my stuff last month.

I don't know what the going cost is for a useed M.. shaft though.

Sounds like a good deal but isn't the super tri an older model now with 2011's being announced?

I noticed the older driver models get discounted to about $150 brand new no matter what their msrp when I was shopping for my stuff last month.

haven't seen any new supertri's for 150 anywhere. If you find some near you PM and let me know

The 2011's have not been announced. Some people may leak news every now and then, but the 2011 drivers have NOT been announced.

Sounds like a decent deal if its all legit.

But it'll DEFINITELY be a good deal if it works for u and ur ripping it looooong and straaaaaight!

ddec0418, I'm sorry brother. I literally impulse bought that in a Starbucks waiting for my gf.

autobot, long and straight? I'm afraid I don't know what that feels like. Short'n'crooked baby!

btw, I'll tape it before I hit it...if I hate it, I'll put it up on the marketplace here and see if somebody wants it. If I do, ddec0418, you get first dibbs at $260 since I stole it from you ;)

haven't seen any new supertri's for 150 anywhere. If you find some near you PM and let me know

The 2011's have not been announced. Some people may leak news every now and then, but the 2011 drivers have NOT been announced.

Not saying the supertri is out there for $150. Just that when the 2011's are gonna be announced and released, the prices for these drivers will probably mimic the prices from 2009 collection currently being sold at $150 or less.

For some reason, I don't see the supertri being priced at 199 any time soon. I think when they come out with the new drivers the tri will be at 299 and 399 for the TP.

Not saying the supertri is out there for $150. Just that when the 2011's are gonna be announced and released, the prices for these drivers will probably mimic the prices from 2009 collection currently being sold at $150 or less.

I guess I was confused. You seem to say in the first post I quoted that the SuperTri is an older model with the 2011s being announced. They have not been. But the truth is, just like any industry, the price will go down. Look at cars for example. Get a 2010 now because the 2011s have been announced and are available. It is the life cycle of golf products and Taylormade's life cycle is shorter than most on drivers. Just me being confused, no worries.

For some reason, I don't see the supertri being priced at 199 any time soon. I think when they come out with the new drivers the tri will be at 299 and 399 for the TP.

They said teh same about the SuperQuad. No way a SuperTri TP still goes for $399 come the middle of next year.

Last edited:
So I got the club...fantastic condition. My buddies all thought it was brand new.

Taped it up and took it for a spin on the range. I see why you all love the Miyazakis so much! What a smooth feeling shaft.

Compared to my G10 w/Prolaunch red, the black/supertri launched higher and had more spin. Driving distance was very close, but I felt like I was longer with my G10 since I had less spin.

The Miyazaki w/supertri hits a dead straight drive and it didn't matter how hard I went after it, everything was "in play" (middle-ish of driving range), where my G10 can sometimes hook a bit on me.

Jury is still out. G10 is just so good to me, not sure if this combo (while forgiving) is worth it for $265.

glad to hear it may work for you. The pics in the auction made the club look like it'd barely been hit.

So I got the club...fantastic condition. My buddies all thought it was brand new.

Taped it up and took it for a spin on the range. I see why you all love the Miyazakis so much! What a smooth feeling shaft.

Compared to my G10 w/Prolaunch red, the black/supertri launched higher and had more spin. Driving distance was very close, but I felt like I was longer with my G10 since I had less spin.

The Miyazaki w/supertri hits a dead straight drive and it didn't matter how hard I went after it, everything was "in play" (middle-ish of driving range), where my G10 can sometimes hook a bit on me.

Jury is still out. G10 is just so good to me, not sure if this combo (while forgiving) is worth it for $265.

What is your SS and tempo?

I think I've been swinging around 103-105. Natural shot a draw but I do like to open up and hit fades. Miss with my G10 is a dirty hook (but I haven't had that problem lately).

My tempo is slow but I swing full. I go back slow, pause at the top, then drop the club and accelerate through.

I emailed Miyazaki and they told me I should also try the 72 black (weights 68).

I think I've been swinging around 103-105. Natural shot a draw but I do like to open up and hit fades. Miss with my G10 is a dirty hook (but I haven't had that problem lately).

My tempo is slow but I swing full. I go back slow, pause at the top, then drop the club and accelerate through.

I emailed Miyazaki and they told me I should also try the 72 black (weights 68).

Oh, I agree the shaft is right (based on limited info here), I just cant figure out why too much spin would be an issue with your swing speed. Its the same as mine and I increased my spin with the SuperTri to get more distance. Have you been on a monitor with both? Do you know your launch characteristics?

JB,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I just setup an appointment with a club fitter I really like in San Diego.

Unfortunately he doesn't carry Miyazaki shafts but he does carry the R.I.P. so I'll compare a few different combo's and get back to you.

No problem. I think people (not necessarily you cmoors) believe that SPIN is bad in a driver because the folks on tour and top players are always looking for less spin. The truth is for many amateurs, spin can be a very good thing. It is all about finding the right launch conditions with shaft and head.

I have an appointment to get fitted this Thursday but I gamed the SuperTri w/Miyazaki black.

Hit driver 13 times...hit 12 fairways. No out-of-bounds penalties...that might be a first.

Hit one awful swing but got 240 with a side-fairway bunker.

Also hit all the par 5's in two. I just might have to keep this club ;)

Thank you Miyazaki and Ebay!

Back