Did many of us already have COVID-19 within the past few months and have recovered?

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I saw this post on LinkedIn today and it had me thinking. In early February, I had a "bug" that was different than anything I had experienced before. It wasn't the flu and it was worse than a cold. On day 7 I thought it was over; but I had a relapse and it went on for exactly 7 more days. The persistent cough was the most bothersome aspect of this. Remarkably, EVERY person in my circle of family and friends then contracted this same bug and reported the exact same symptoms. I've also talked to others around the country who have experienced this, and again reported these same exact symptoms.

My friend here in TX got the bug from me and passed it to his wife. She then visited friends for a girls' weekend early this month. EVERY one of her 6 friends then came down with this and subsequently were tested for the flu. All came back negative and none were tested for COVID-19 (tests were very scarce, and it's totally bizarre now to think about what COVID-19 looked like the first week of March...).

Anyway, I'd be curious to see how many THPers experienced this and what their thoughts might be. When I first considered the possibility that what we went through might be COVID-19, I discounted it because of a lack of fever and common flu-like symptoms. But maybe...
already had it.jpg

We will be able to answer this definitively once a blood serum test for antibodies is available. I think there is merit to this argument, and I am sure epidemiologists will want this information for use in combatting future outbreaks.

We were talking about this about a week ago & believe my wife & daughter had it along with the whole girls basketball team at the time. Thank God I never got it, but if it was then I was seriously exposed to it.

I’m pretty confident I had it around the first of the year. Took me a couple weeks to get over it. I run a small hvac business with my dad and every one of us had it at some point this winter. I didn’t think much about it at the time

My wife falls in this category of being sick for a few weeks with a cough that would not go away. We were side by side the whole time and I did not have any related symptoms, so I dont assume it was the corona.

I feel that while it may be true. Sending a message like that is a bit dangerous. We all need to act as if we have not gotten it, stick with the program to protect loved ones and strangers alike.

While the media may sensationalize things and twist info, this is a very serious thing going on right now.

While I don't know that it was COVID-19, I did have a spell where i was sick for a good 2 weeks solid in January. Was sick for 3-4 days in Jan 9th to 12th or so. Felt better, but still had a cough that wouldn't go away. Then it him me hard again from the 21st thorough the first of February. Low fever that wouldn't go away, cough, and it migrated from my chest to my sinuses.

Have no idea if I had it or not but in early February I had a cough that lasted about 2 weeks. Nothing like I ever experienced before and definitely remember saying I never coughed that much when I was a smoker. I don't recall having a fever or any trouble breathing though so maybe it was before it mutated? Who knows.

We will be able to answer this definitively once a blood serum test for antibodies is available. I think there is merit to this argument, and I am sure epidemiologists will want this information for use in combatting future outbreaks.
I could kiss you for that answer but I'm following CDC guidelines. Until we know for sure, this is a dangerous thing to gamble on.

I got sick in February, which was uncommon for me because I never get sick (was probably 2-3 years ago that I was last sick), but it was suuuuper mild, only lasted a few days and it was mostly congestion, I barely had a cough, so I doubt I had it.

I would find it difficult to think many had COVID-19 without some being hospitalized. It couldn't have run rampant enough that we didn't see some increase in hospitalization like we are seeing now. But, I am not in the medical field so if there was an increase in hospitalizations I would have no idea.

I could kiss you for that answer but I'm following CDC guidelines. Until we know for sure, this is a dangerous thing to gamble on.
The possibility raised sure doesn't have me or my wife altering our behaviors; we're quarantined at home and following all recommended procedures. There WOULD be a comforting feeling to know that we've already had it and have recovered if that was to be definitively proven.

My biggest peeve at this point is a lack of definitive testing on the malaria drug/Z-pack combo treatment alternative (although today is the first day in a while I haven't paid much attention to the news if that has been addressed). If it is dramatically effective as some have suggested, why the heck can't we get it fast-tract tested here in the U.S.?

Unless it could be proven, I don't believe that statement is correct in my opinion, and it is dangerous to be saying such things as this time when so much is still unknown

What are her qualifications to be giving such a statement?
I would find it difficult to think many had COVID-19 without some being hospitalized. It couldn't have run rampant enough that we didn't see some increase in hospitalization like we are seeing now. But, I am not in the medical field so if there was an increase in hospitalizations I would have no idea.
I honestly think that if we had seen an increase in hospital admissions to the extent we are now, it would have made the news in some form or other

Unless it could be proven, I don't believe that statement is correct in my opinion, and it is dangerous to be saying such things as this time when so much is still unknown

I honestly think that if we had seen an increase in hospital admissions to the extent we are now, it would have made the news in some form or other

I agree with you, if people had it to widespread effect earlier this year we would have seen the deaths and hospitalizations associated with it. It certainly seems like the medical community is seeing the wave for the first time here in the states.

The increase in available tests can almost certainly account for the exponential increase of confirmed cases. It stands to reason that many Americans have already contracted COVID-19 and a) haven't been tested, and/or b) have already recovered.

Given the timeline of the disease, its origins in Wuhan, China AND the lack of travel restrictions for many months, it also stands to reason that COVID-19 reached our shores long before it became a known phenomenon.

There is also ample evidence to suggest that a great number of people who have contracted COVID-19 have only experienced mild symptoms.

This, combined with evidence of many of us experiencing a 14-day illness that seems different from flu or colds, lends a good deal of plausibility (in my mind at least) to the theory the lady presents. What it may mean is left for each of us to decide of course.

Have no idea if I had it or not but in early February I had a cough that lasted about 2 weeks. Nothing like I ever experienced before and definitely remember saying I never coughed that much when I was a smoker. I don't recall having a fever or any trouble breathing though so maybe it was before it mutated? Who knows.

That's just the PGA Show cough. You kinda get used to it, but... Does kinda make you wonder if someone had it there and had no idea.

this will be an interesting question, also had a viral URI that was more prolonged than normal which led to about a month long cough starting in early january.

my question would be for how bad this virus is though, if you were sick already you surely past it to everyone in the house, so did everyone else in the house get sick?

my question would be for how bad this virus is though, if you were sick already you surely past it to everyone in the house, so did everyone else in the house get sick?
yup, wife and son both developed pneumonia.

While I don't know that it was COVID-19, I did have a spell where i was sick for a good 2 weeks solid in January. Was sick for 3-4 days in Jan 9th to 12th or so. Felt better, but still had a cough that wouldn't go away. Then it him me hard again from the 21st thorough the first of February. Low fever that wouldn't go away, cough, and it migrated from my chest to my sinuses.
Same. My daughter had something like this, then passed it on to me. I think we both had it in February.

I don't know what I had, but back in mid December, I came down with a upper respiratory infection. Had a bad cough, sneezed alot. Even ran a fever for a day or two. I was also spitting up white stuff. It lasted about two weeks. I'm a non smoker. After a few medical tests, ( swab up my nose) I was told I just a bad chest cold. To use otc meds, and take plenty of liquids, and rest. My issue was most likely caused by allergies (?) the medical folks said.

My wife caught the same symtoms, but it was much worse for her. (She smokes) She spent the first two weeks of January in the hospital. (Two days in ICU) She had to continually wear a mask, as did any visitors who came in to her room.

The diagnosis was a respiratory infection, but nothing more than that. It wasn't the flu, or phnuemonia. Not even bronchitis. No emphysema yet either. She was also coughing up various colors of junk. The 3 doctors working on her didn't know what it was.

She spent two more weeks at home on self breathing medications, and pills. After her 5 week follow up, she was pronounced healthy, with a ton more energy.

Who knows what we had.

About half of the UK population has had it already according to this Oxford MD.

I'm going back even further than that. Last March, I had a fever and dry cough, just as advertised for the current blight. The fever lasted a little less than a week, but the cough I couldn't shake for almost three weeks. Doctor had no idea what it was, but knew it wasn't flu, and just gave me medication to treat the cough so I could get some sleep.

Wife got sick, too, shortly after me, but not as bad.

It went rapidly through my circle of family and friends. Others have reported the same, citing a very high rate of communicability.

Back