Did many of us already have COVID-19 within the past few months and have recovered?

I don't think it's likely as the virus has not shown much desire to mutate and the current strain is pretty deadly and dangerous and we would have filled hospitals back in Nov., Dec and seen more deaths if it was truly Covid.

About half of the UK population has had it already according to this Oxford MD.
I’d say at least half caught it when the sun came out a few days ago and everyone flocked to the parks and beaches before heading to the pub beer garden 🤣

So I saw this post on LinkedIn today and it had me thinking. In early February, I had a "bug" that was different than anything I had experienced before. It wasn't the flu and it was worse than a cold. On day 7 I thought it was over; but I had a relapse and it went on for exactly 7 more days. The persistent cough was the most bothersome aspect of this. Remarkably, EVERY person in my circle of family and friends then contracted this same bug and reported the exact same symptoms. I've also talked to others around the country who have experienced this, and again reported these same exact symptoms.

My friend here in TX got the bug from me and passed it to his wife. She then visited friends for a girls' weekend early this month. EVERY one of her 6 friends then came down with this and subsequently were tested for the flu. All came back negative and none were tested for COVID-19 (tests were very scarce, and it's totally bizarre now to think about what COVID-19 looked like the first week of March...).

Anyway, I'd be curious to see how many THPers experienced this and what their thoughts might be. When I first considered the possibility that what we went through might be COVID-19, I discounted it because of a lack of fever and common flu-like symptoms. But maybe...
View attachment 8933805
I had this same issue in early January. Two doctors visits. Diagnosis was brochitis and Sinus infection which I commonly get.
Finally amoxycillin & steroid pack got me over the hump. There has been a lot of discussion of this here in Louisville going around.

I don’t know that I had it but, I was sick as a dog for 10-14 days from Christmas to New Years. It was the worst cold I’d had, short of the flu, probably ever. But some antibiotics kicked it right out. I never even stopped playing golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup, wife and son both developed pneumonia.
Did they take Advil for their fever before the pneumonia developed? I am ready in many places that the use of Advil with Covid 19 can bring on pneumonia

I was brutally sick a month ago, before most of this stuff came out. My symptoms didn't quite match since I didn't have a cough so I didn't think much of it.

I was brutally sick a month ago, before most of this stuff came out. My symptoms didn't quite match since I didn't have a cough so I didn't think much of it.
Cough is very common, probably most, but not at all a necessary symptom.

Personally, I simply cannot accept that this isn't more widespread than the reported numbers would indicate.

It's a highly infectious virus, we know that. The WHO has stated that roughly 80% of all infected will experience zero to minor symptoms.

The VAST majority of those testing positive had previously exhibited symptoms. So they are part of the other 20% yet we don't at all know what percentage of the symptomatic were actually tested.

So of the total listed infections, those previously with symptoms and therefore tested... what of the 80% of carriers who would never seek test? Those with zero to mild symptoms? Symptoms said to mirror the common cold?

AFAIC, they're out there. 100s of thousands infected and/or already beaten it.

It simply makes zero sense to me not to assume the reported infected rate to actually be multiples higher. Sounds scary but that would also dramatically lower the mortality rate.

Cough is very common, probably most, but not at all a necessary symptom.

Personally, I simply cannot accept that this isn't more widespread than the reported numbers would indicate.

It's a highly infectious virus, we know that. The WHO has stated that roughly 80% of all infected will experience zero to minor symptoms.

The VAST majority of those testing positive had previously exhibited symptoms. So they are part of the other 20% yet we don't at all know what percentage of the symptomatic were actually tested.

So of the total listed infections, those previously with symptoms and therefore tested... what of the 80% of carriers who would never seek test? Those with zero to mild symptoms? Symptoms said to mirror the common cold?

AFAIC, they're out there. 100s of thousands infected and/or already beaten it.

It simply makes zero sense to me not to assume the reported infected rate to actually be multiples higher. Sounds scary but that would also dramatically lower the mortality rate.

I think as the science becomes more clear around this over the next few months we are going to find a mortality rate more in line with the seasonal flu. If that’s the case we clearly need to change the way we are responding to this virus.

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me. I rarely if ever get sick, probably 2-3 times in the past 5 years if that. I went to the doctor and they basically did nothing. Sent me home and said do the usual until this passes.

This happened a couple months ago. The worst of it lasted at least a full 14 days and here is where it gets strange. There were lingering effects of this that has gone on now for around a month and that is not what normally happens when I have gotten sick in the past.

I am simply assuming here, but that is why I believe this was different than what I have gotten before as it bore so many different aspects to it - especially the length of time it stayed around.

This is like "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?". The world may never know.

I had a virus that started around Feb 7th or 8th. I was super congested and coughed a lot. I didn't feel good at all. I worked from home for 2-3 days and came back the next Monday. For about 2 weeks after that I felt like I had some very mild shortness of breath and the bottom of my lungs felt like they were hot. I looked it up when this started getting more serious around the end of February and the hot lungs and shortness of breath is definitely pneumonia. It was a mild pneumonia as I never stopped working during that part of not feeling well. I also kept working out and whatnot. The pneumonia finally went away after about 15 days or so. By that time the first case was confirmed in Louisville. Interesting thing is my coworker who sits right next to me goes to one of the local Episcopal churches. His church hosted a national conference of some of their ministers and from that conference there were at least 4 ministers that went home with the virus even though at that time there was only 1 confirmed case in Louisville. My coworker had gotten a mild 1-2 day cold a week after I was sick and he worked at the conference at his church. :oops:

I also work in downtown Louisville which through February was hosting convention after convention at the convention center in town. I mean there were people from out of town constantly milling around downtown. So there easily could have been people there with the virus.

My daughter came back from a school trip to Italy a month ago. Her and several of her friends had sniffles and a sore throat. About a day or two after getting back. Low fever. Figured it was from being exhausted from the trip. Then a few days later, I got severe abdominal pain like I never had before, fever and it lasted for a few days. I thought it was food poisoning or stomach bug, but I have read that sometimes the virus doesn’t turn into a cough.

I believe the first case for COVID-19 in China was November 17.

I know a few people who had terrible coughs in December and could not shake it for two months. But China kept it quiet for a while, so I guess anything is possible as to it coming over here quickly and people spreading the virus.

I don't think it's likely as the virus has not shown much desire to mutate and the current strain is pretty deadly and dangerous and we would have filled hospitals back in Nov., Dec and seen more deaths if it was truly Covid.
The virus is pretty deadly for less than 5% of people who get it; 80% of people contracting COVID-19 experience only mild symptoms.

First toilet paper went short. Now it's eggs.

Which is it, Halloween or Armageddon?

The virus is pretty deadly for less than 5% of people who get it; 80% of people contracting COVID-19 experience only mild symptoms.
but there were no deaths until this recent wave arrived is my point.

but there were no deaths until this recent wave arrived is my point.
I would wager that there were deaths due to pneumonia and respiratory failure, the deadly complications from the virus; they were just not identified as COVID-19 as the test would not have existed to identify it.

This is like "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?". The world may never know.

I had a virus that started around Feb 7th or 8th. I was super congested and coughed a lot. I didn't feel good at all. I worked from home for 2-3 days and came back the next Monday. For about 2 weeks after that I felt like I had some very mild shortness of breath and the bottom of my lungs felt like they were hot. I looked it up when this started getting more serious around the end of February and the hot lungs and shortness of breath is definitely pneumonia. It was a mild pneumonia as I never stopped working during that part of not feeling well. I also kept working out and whatnot. The pneumonia finally went away after about 15 days or so. By that time the first case was confirmed in Louisville. Interesting thing is my coworker who sits right next to me goes to one of the local Episcopal churches. His church hosted a national conference of some of their ministers and from that conference there were at least 4 ministers that went home with the virus even though at that time there was only 1 confirmed case in Louisville. My coworker had gotten a mild 1-2 day cold a week after I was sick and he worked at the conference at his church. :oops:

I also work in downtown Louisville which through February was hosting convention after convention at the convention center in town. I mean there were people from out of town constantly milling around downtown. So there easily could have been people there with the virus.
I was there for the National Farm Machinery show from feb 9-15, and then New York Farm show from the 24th to the 2nd. I have to believe I came into contact with it somewhere in there. I've not been sick but I don't feel right, most likely just stress but those shows would be a breeding ground. New York has about 50,000 in attendance, Louisville about 300,000.

I was there for the National Farm Machinery show from feb 9-15, and then New York Farm show from the 24th to the 2nd. I have to believe I came into contact with it somewhere in there. I've not been sick but I don't feel right, most likely just stress but those shows would be a breeding ground. New York has about 50,000 in attendance, Louisville about 300,000.
I'd be very interested to find out if you could find out how many attendees ultimately contracted COVID-19 (maybe there is some update on the relevant website(s)). If you have a lot of contacts among the attendees, you might also ask if any have had a 14-day illness that didn't feel like either cold or flu.

I posted this same thing on Facebook and I'm seeing the same thing - LOTS of folks are reporting that they too experienced an illness unlike any they've experienced before, lasting 14 days on average, with lots of coughing.

I was just having this conversation with a buddy yesterday. We both came down with something very similar around the same time (late last year/early this yea), as well as our wives.

I was diagnosed with pneumonia in January, despite the fact I had the vaccine in November.
I'm no expert, but I believe the 2 most common vaccines for pneumonia are only effective against bacterial pneumonia (PCV13 and PPSV23). Viruses (as in the case with COVID-19) and some fungi can also trigger pneumonia and I'm not sure if there is a vaccine for those. I may be wrong on that but it might explain why you would be diagnosed with pneumonia despite the earlier vaccine.

I'd be very interested to find out if you could find out how many attendees ultimately contracted COVID-19 (maybe there is some update on the relevant website(s)). If you have a lot of contacts among the attendees, you might also ask if any have had a 14-day illness that didn't feel like either cold or flu.

I posted this same thing on Facebook and I'm seeing the same thing - LOTS of folks are reporting that they too experienced an illness unlike any they've experienced before, lasting 14 days on average, with lots of coughing.
I have no idea how anyone would track that, there are people there from all around the country and many parts of the world, for that matter it would be hard to track which show we got it at, until they shut down the shows after Kentucky Beef Expo we were scheduled to hit Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, West Virginia and back up to Wisconsin. I don't mind the break, we've been at it since September but we see many of the same vendors at every show.

The RV industry and many others would be in the same boat.

Very interesting thread. I was just talking to the wife about the flu we had in February. It basically lays you down for the first 3 days, with cough, mild fever, congestion, then the cough lasts for weeks, my cough is still here! I would really like to know if it was just a bad flu of Covid.
I look forward to the quick test.

I was diagnosed with pneumonia in January, despite the fact I had the vaccine in November.
there's a pneumonia vaccine?

It's possible for us. My dad had something for two weeks around Thanksgiving that included a terrible cough. Then my son had what appeared to be what my dad had for two weeks early December. Then mid-December if felt like I had the same thing, only one night I had terrible fever and was sweating uncontrollably while wearing sweatpants and a hoodie because I felt like I was freezing. I was a little better the following day, but took my wife shopping for our anniversary and almost passed out in the store. Then my wife had the same thing the following week, but is immunocompromised and ended up in bed for 3 days straight coughing up some nasty stuff, running fever most of the time, and generally felt like she was dying. She assumed it was a really bad viral infection because she almost never gets bacterial sinus infections because of her daily medications, but she didn't think it was the flu because she was coughing up phlegm.

So in a weird way we are hoping we already had it and won't get it again. Even though there are stories of one or more person contracting the virus twice.

i asked this very question to a physician last week. he said no, because we didn’t see the acute respiratory failure like we are with covid-19.

No. Just gotdammit. This is the stupid meme that reinforces simpleminded people to think COVID-19 is basically the flu.

That's why the medical community stopped calling COVID-19 "the coronavirus". Because there are a lot of different coronavirus strains. What we are seeing is a novel coronavirus and NOT THE SAME THING AS THE FLU!

As days go by, it does not surprise me the internet was able to convince stupid people to revive small pox.

Back