Did you play more rounds this year or less ?

rounds of golf through the pandemic 2020

• Played more rounds than usual

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • About the same as the past years

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • maybe a little less than past years

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • About half of what I used to play

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Only a few rounds this year

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Didn't get on the golf course at all

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Release

Reaction score
Handicap
Personally, I had not gotten on the golf course this year.
Of course the pandemic was the major concern, but also because I had a surgery early in the Late Winter ,early Spring of 2020. So no golf for several months. After I recovered and went to the driving range a few times, the warning of the COVID-19 pandemic was issued. Our State shut down all "non-essential activity " and golf was one of the victim.

Because I am in the high risk group, age and heath history....... my family had suggested for me to stay away from the public places as much as I could. In their eyes, the golf activities is not an essential to life. I had been good, following their suggestion ( also my family physician's suggestion ).

Although I have friends who had continue to golf with their weekly schedule regardless. A few even traveled out of the State to golf when we had the total shut down on the golf course. Obviously, I might have done the same if I were younger and feeling invincible from the youthful energy.
Some of my friends invited me to golf, which I turned them down. Thinking I might as well skip this season and hope for the best of the next year. Been doing some work on the golf clubs to resist the urge to golf and ease the cabin fever. Re-shafted several sets of irons and finished some extra driver shafts to try out.
Might even sort out the golf bags in the garage to see if I can sell some of them later on.

Like any other addiction, after the first few waves of the urge to golf, it became easier to ignore it. One of my golf buddy even told me that he did not miss golf after the lay-off for several weeks from earlier in the Summer. Pandemic would change our behavior in many facets of our life. Some will stay with us after the passing of the Virus.

Have you golf as usual ? Did you play more golf because it was easier to get teetime and less crowded on the golf course ? Did you golf less or, did you bite the bullet and stayed away from golf this season?

I don't know. It feels like breaking away from the habit of morning cup ( or 2 or 3 ) of coffee. Once done, it's like opening another door and breaking away from the seemingly attached habit is no longer gripping.

About 20% fewer rounds but our season got a late start due to Covid and cut short by a snowstorm a few days ago. Last October I played 12 rounds in MN and this year it will only be 4 rounds unless by some miracle we return to normal weather in the next 10 days. I also had our Masters golf trip canceld and we normally will play 6 rounds on that trip.

I live in GA and right or wrong, golf courses here remained open. My club took many precautions within the clubhouse to ensure everyone's safety and the restaurant all but shut down, even still, it's mostly shut down, but the golf remained alive and well and as a result, I would say I played more, by far.

Been working from home since mid March, so with more flexibility in my work hours, I definitely took advantage.

I’ve played more rounds this year (27) than the last 5 combined. I also joined THP back in February. Coincidence? I think not... Thanks THP! :LOL:

Over 3 times as many. I've played a little golf this year.

Yeah way down... we only had shutdown for a few days way back in April, I think. With tee times so spread out it was difficult to get on some times and my usual playing partners were a little tepid about it anyways. We ended up on three long weekend lake trips over the summer and I pulled a hamstring on one (fat guys shouldn't water ski) that knocked me out for about 6 weeks at the end of the summer. Today will be my 3rd 18 hole round since mid-August...

Should be pretty close to the usual 110-120 rounds a year for me.

I definitely played more this year. With a mild winter, I was playing in January, February and March ( which doesn’t normally happen in NE Ohio).
That and my youngest got his license, so my time slowly became my own again😁.

More golf this year than I have ever played in a single year.

Played my 198th hole last night. More holes this year than 2017-2019 combined.

Last edited:
Still to be determined, running about the same as last year in late Oct. Still 2+ months to go, could surpass 2019 with some luck.

Played less, much to my chagrin. 71 rounds last year, 48 this year. During the peak of COVID my emperor, I mean governor, shut down our state entirely.

I played more golf this year than I ever have. Our course made some adjustments to ensure compliance with physical distancing, but that was mainly for around the clubhouse. Once on the course, it was golf as usual.

Played more rounds this year than last year, year to date.

C19 shut everything down in Oregon except golf. I played a lot more than prior years, especially March - June.

Luckily, golf was one of the only things to do during the early stages of all of this so I've been out quite a bit more this year than last.

I have played much more this year. I joined a club earlier this year which made it easier for me to get out and play on a regular basis.

I played the same, but I play a a lot every year.

sadly way down this year.

Probably a few more than normal this year but not a significant amount. Back at the start of the pandemic my work split us into 2 teams and we worked a rotating weekly shift with half staff in the office at a time. We worked a week on/week off and that lasted 6 weeks so I got 3 weeks at home with pay during that time. I made sure with the extra time off I got in several rounds as courses around here were not closed. Hoping to play several more rounds in the next couple of months as weather here in NC is dang near perfect! I hate it for you guys in states with a real winter, that sounds positively awful. Here’s the outlook for the next few days here
023AF794-4042-43C9-91A4-6F092CE82FDD.png

Twice a week last year, 3 times a week this year.

About the same as last year.

Back