Difference in Midsize grips and built-up Regular grips

Minarets

Reaction score
Handicap
Is there a real difference? Does it stretch out regular grips too much if there are more wraps to equal a midsize?

And how many wraps does it take to equal a midsize? 3?

I was thinking of ordering some midsize Pure Pros, but a course here has the color I want in regular. I'm trying to figure out if there are any downsides to just building those up, vs ordering midsize grips.

Thanks for any help.

it seems to me that the very base of the grip with a midsize is thicker than a regular that's been stretched, I always just get the midsize, makes a world of difference for sure.

A standard grip with 3 wraps of tape is as close to midsize as you get. The only real difference is that the midsize grip is built up by literally being constructed of more rubber (or whatever the substrate is) compared to a grip that is built up with tape. IMO, having played with both, I prefer building up a standard size grip for some odd reason. I guess in my mind's eye, it just doesn't seem as big.

I am the exact opposite. I cannot stand built up grips ands they feel terrible in my hands.

A standard grip with 3 wraps of tape is as close to midsize as you get. The only real difference is that the midsize grip is built up by literally being constructed of more rubber (or whatever the substrate is) compared to a grip that is built up with tape. IMO, having played with both, I prefer building up a standard size grip for some odd reason. I guess in my mind's eye, it just doesn't seem as big.

Is there enough of a weight difference to effect it that way as well between a standard +3 and midsize?

I am the exact opposite. I cannot stand built up grips ands they feel terrible in my hands.

I believe I'm headed in this direction as well. I built up my grips with 3 wraps just to get the general feel of a midsize before purchasing the actual midsize. They do feel better in my hands (granted I'm "fit" for a standard) than the standard grip. Lurking for a good deal on a set of midsize, but the wraps will work until then.

Everything that has been said, is what I would have said. I'll add that a true midsize is still tappered. A built up reg grip can be uniform from top to bottom so the fit is the same at butt and the base.

My hands were in between reg. and mid sizes. Building them up was a better option for me. Plus you have an option of just building 1 wrap at top and 2 wraps at bottom or vice versa.

Is a reg grip built up with 3 wraps going to be real hard compared to a midsize?

The good is I'd probably do 4 wraps under the right hand and 3 under the left.

It comes down to preference. I know my iomic grips say they are standard but I know they are a tad smaller. I put three wraps under the grip and voila, grip magic!

So no fears in the grips becocming too hard being built up?

Is there larger difference in weight between extra wraps of tape vs extra material in the grip?

I wouldn't think so, I think it would be the opposite being built up.
Really? If that's the case, I'm down. I thought they would get harder which is what I want to avoid.

Really? If that's the case, I'm down. I thought they would get harder which is what I want to avoid.

Just guessing but the grip itself isn't going to change like harder/softer. The more tape you add IMO would seem to give more of a cushion. I could be wrong but that's how my brain takes it?

With Pure there is a difference in the way they feel. The butt end of the midsize slightly larger than the regular. I give folks the option if they want larger. It's about 50-50 in what they choose.

hackin

I'm not an expert but am looking at grips now and was just talking to someone about this at a local store. He was saying that standard grips built up do tend to feel a little firmer than midsize grips. The rubber is thinner and is stretched out with a standard, where as the midsize is just a thicker piece of it, so tends to feel a little softer (after all, the rubber is really the "soft" part). Some not-so-in-depth internet research tends to suggest the same thing. But again, I've never actually done it, so I'm not totally sure this is right. But it does seem to make logical sense.

In my experience, no. Then again I have been play the same grip setup for over 10 years.
Is a reg grip built up with 3 wraps going to be real hard compared to a midsize?

The good is I'd probably do 4 wraps under the right hand and 3 under the left.

So i decided to try midsized grips on my 3 wedges i usually use standard with 2 wraps so i decided to try midsized with 2 wraps to see if i like the difference. i am thinking and i honestly may be way off with this but i'm hoping when im chipping and pitching i can quiet my hands and wrists a little bit. I went with the lamkin crossline ACE i love these grips and i'm interested in seeing how the midsize affects if at all my short game inside of 100 yards. has anyone changed and what has it helped or hurt you with. i'm more curious than anything else. also changing my pitch shots worked on it with my instructor a few days ago less of a back swing just a hinge on the back and a follow through with different finishes to change roll or check.

Buck,

I did that last year with my wedges. I can't say that the STD to MID change was enough to force quiter hands. It did improve feel, relaxed pressure a bit and made it easier to quiet down.

I had mine wrapped. Next time I will replace with a real mid size grip and experiment with more wraps. I could have gone larger on my 56 and 60. I found the larger grip very comfortable for pitching and chipping. not sure how it would effect a full swing, but I rarely take a full swing with them.

Buck,

I did that last year with my wedges. I can't say that the STD to MID change was enough to force quiter hands. It did improve feel, relaxed pressure a bit and made it easier to quiet down.

I had mine wrapped. Next time I will replace with a real mid size grip and experiment with more wraps. I could have gone larger on my 56 and 60. I found the larger grip very comfortable for pitching and chipping. not sure how it would effect a full swing, but I rarely take a full swing with them.

thank you for the feedback... i am planning on not taking a full swing with my wedges that much this year but i like the stuff you are seeing its kinda what i am hoping for i figure if i use them for only 3/4 swings at most i prob can relax my grip and just feel the shot a little more.

+4 wraps builds a standard to a mid. A midsize grip is 1/16 bigger than a standard, with each +wrap adding 1/64. IMO, they still don't feel quite a midsize, probably because the butt still is a touch smaller. I taper the layers of tape at the bottom when we do this to avoid bulk where the grip and shaft meet.

A built up standard will have a firmer feel than a true mid, but we're not talking rock hard or anything like that. Also, you can build up any grip, but cords don't build up as good. It's possible at around +4 or 5 you could pop them.

I read an article recently and it stated that most players are using the wrong grip size and that static sizing doesn't work. Try searching the web for the article.

I'm just under a midsize and use a standard with 3 wraps. It is more comfortable for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I read an article recently and it stated that most players are using the wrong grip size and that static sizing doesn't work. Try searching the web for the article.

I'm just under a midsize and use a standard with 3 wraps. It is more comfortable for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is what I am now using after trying on of the grip charts for sizing. It put me just under mid size and I like it.

I row gripped two hybrids yesterday with Lamkin Ace reg with three wraps of masking tape and one of solvent. I compared these to a mid size of the same grip and mine was smaller. Their mid size felt more like a jumbo to me but my fitter said they were midsize. He and I had a discussion about my setup, he swore I was just seething up a midsize and should just go mid, I insisted on my setup cuz it works for me. It gives me quiet hands and limits any crazy movements .

Back