Difference in putter grip sizes

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Hi all,

I’ve had the same putter with the same sized standard grip on it for going on 10 years. Finally making a change. The putter I’ve chosen, which arrived today, has an oversized grip. My plan has been to get it changed out for a regular grip, but it got me thinking (because I legit don’t know because I’ve had the same flat stick for a decade...)

What’s the difference in various sized putter grips? What’s the “purpose” of an oversized grip? Pros/cons of various sized grips?

I just spent 20 min or so putting on my roll out green with my new putter. Using the oversized grip, I felt like a was forced to use my shoulders more and it prevented wrist breaking, which is good. But it felt like it really killed the feel of the putter, particularly the weight of the head. I like being able to feel the weight of the head, mainly because it helps know where the face is at all times. And the oversized grip seemed to eliminate that so to speak.

Thoughts? Any input is welcomed. Would hate to trash a brand new oversized grip on this putter before knowing more about it.

I went to the oversized grips on my putters several years ago because I liked how they took the wrists out of the swing for the most part.
I also liked how they relaxed my arms and let me swing the putter more fluidly. I started out with the Winn Jumbo grip but have since moved on to the Super Stroke Mid Slim and have never looked back. There are several different diameters of oversized grips out there, so you might want to try some of them in a golf shop before making a final decision.

When it came time to regrip my blade putter that had a standard thin grip from 20 yrs ago, I thought I would change it up. Went through a Scotty Cameron Matador Midsize and Superstroke Tour 2.0 before putting a Ping Blackout PP58 on it. Both of the oversize grips ruined the balance and feel of the putter. Putting the PP58 on it brought back all the feel that I was accustom to. Expensive experiment that failed for me.

Now, I do have an Superstroke grip on mySpiderX putter and that feels good and balanced on it. So, there is a place for the oversize. Just not on my Anser style putter.

I like the oversized grips for the same reasons @Drumdog mentioned - takes my wrists out of the swing and relaxes my arms. They also fit me better because I have big hands, so just more comfortable overall. I've used the Winn Jumbo, Super Stroke Mid and now using Odyssey's stock oversized grip.

I’ve been reading up a bit, and am thinking about going to a nearby golf shop to check out some midsized grips. This oversized grip just feels huge. But I also have big hands, and thinking a midsized might be the best of both worlds. I went to a +2 wrap on all my clubs (and only +1 wrap on wedges), and noticed an immediate difference. Thinking a similar change might be helpful with the putter.

That’s a good point @scott.french3 made too. My previous putter was a White Hot Pro #9, more of a old school blade style. My new putter is a Cleveland HB Soft #6, more a mid-mallet. Makes sense a standard grip would feel better on my previous putter and a midsized might make more sense for a heavier mid-mallet.

The things you mentioned in the OP are supposedly the advantages of oversized grips. But I do think results vary by person. Putters are probably the most personal club in the bag so comfort and confidence are probably the two main sources of success on the greens. Personally, I am more about the feel of the grip than the size of it. Heck, I recently went from a standard size grip that I have been using forever and a day to a grip that is pushing 2 inches wide and had to change my putting grip to comfortably use it. The one common denominator between the two though is that they are rubber and not the polyurethance wrapped pool noodle.

The grip should be all about what helps you feel comfortable. The grip should help you have "soft hands" and eliminate the wrists breaking.
If it doesn't feel right you won't be happy with it especially after using a certain grip for so many years.

Edel putters have the round frips. I have an edel putter and that grip is nice! Not 100% sold in it but it is different and I do like it, not in total love..... yet.
What’s your thoughts on the round grip

Keep in mind different grips have different weights. The grip weight can directly impact the way the putter feels to you. My original putter grip had a 58 gram grip. Not thinking about it, I selected a Scotty Cameron Matador midsize grip to put on it. Didn't realized it weighed 86 grams and completely changed the way the putter felt. I lost putter head feel. i found a Superstroke Tour 2.0 that weighed around 58 grams. The putter head feel came back. But, I didn't like the feel of the bigger grip. So, I went back to a standard size Ping Blackout grip. The old feeling came back immediately.

I ended up going with a midsized black/blue Winn Dri Tac grip. It’s been pouring rain here for days, so I’ve only been able to use it in the house on a roll out putting green. If the forecast is accurate, I’m playing on Sunday, so will get to take it out for a spin! But it definitely feels better in my hands than the oversized grip did. I think it’s a good medium for me between standard and oversized.

I definitely feel it helps take the wrists out of play, too. I've been swinging a SS Flatso 3.0 for a few years now.

Back