Difference vs Hybrid shaft and Iron shaft

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I was at Golf Galaxy picking up grips. Notice they had Kuro Cage shaft. Pondering if I should replace shaft for my hybrid.
I notice two exact shaft. One for iron and other hybrid. Looks exactly same and tip is .370. Hybrid is 80g and Iron is 70g. Iron shaft is $10 less than hybrid shaft.

Are they different shaft? Beside the weight difference?
Does iron shaft should be installed differently? My other hybrid is 70g shaft. They look identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I've wondered that myself.

Only the playing profile of the shaft really. A hybrid shaft will usually be tailored for a 40-42 length and certain head weight. It will be setup to flex, spin and kick a certain way around that assumption.

Iron shafts, will load a bit different and generally perform less optimal. With that said, I play a 5" tipped .370 iron shaft in one of my hybrids at 40" and I loved it.

Those weights I assume regular flex. Hybrid will have 4" parallel tip section and iron will be 5.5". The iron shaft will have a slightly smaller butt diameter so you will need a wrap or 2 to make them feel the same. Pretty sure the iron shaft in the hybrid will play softer but not 100% sure. Same tip size so you could install it in either.

Those weights I assume regular flex. Hybrid will have 4" parallel tip section and iron will be 5.5". The iron shaft will have a slightly smaller butt diameter so you will need a wrap or 2 to make them feel the same. Pretty sure the iron shaft in the hybrid will play softer but not 100% sure. Same tip size so you could install it in either.

Thanks
Good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually the torque is the difference between the 2 from what I researched.
I had a 4 iron Steelfiber 95 cw 4 shaft laying around so I put that into a 4 hybrid head this winter. Haven't hit it yet. The shaft was a .355 so I had to shim it to put in the .370 head.

Edit: Played golf today. Hit the Adams hybrid with the 4 iron steelfiber shaft. It was great. I never hit a hybrid as well as I did this one.

Last edited:
So I'm struggling with my Rogue Hybrid's and the reason I think is the Hybrid shafts in them Fujikura Pro 2.0 7 HB-R
I'm just not a fan of the Hybrid Shaft bend profile. It feels like a "Broom Stick" to me and I don't feel the club head at all.

The last two hybrids that I had before the Rogue were TEE EX9 and EX10 - Both with @UST Mamiya Recoil 460 F3 shafts.
Think about replacing the Pro 2.0 with the newer 460ES F3 or 760EX SMACWRAP F4 soft stepped to match my irons.

Back