Different grips throughout your setup?

i have mizuno M21's on all of my clubs with 3 tapes. putter is standard Taylor Made.

i like the consitency :)

Why thicker as you go down? I ask because I was thinking the exact opposite for some reason. Does the softer grip impart more feel back into your hands?

It's just the way I like it. It could be because my first real set of irons came with basically the same standard cords on them and I purchased my wedge set seperately with thick, tacky wraps on them. I started out with the same midsize Polycords 2-9 (2 is now out of the bag), but I was having trouble with my long irons that I have always felt confident in, so I went back to the extra-firm standard grips on 2-4 and my long iron game was back. As for thicker, softer grips on my wedges, I simply have a better feel and control on touch shots with them.

GP 2G wrap on my Driver, NDMC on the rest of my clubs.

---
- Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Feel is subjective. My grip pressure is the same throughout the entire bag and I never grip the club with more than three fingers anyways. I dont really understand the concept of needing more grip or more feel in certain situations. As soon as you make contact with the golf ball you should know where on the face you hit it, before even looking at ball flight.

I agree with you in theory, and I try hard to ensure that I'm not squeezing the life out of longer clubs, that's why I really like the NDMC's on them. I have confidence I guess in knowing that I'm not gonna whip a club down the fairway. I posed the question for the whole set, but frankly I'm most interested in shorter irons/wedges. I'm just curious if I'm giving up anything in the way of feel there. As to knowing where on the face I made contact, I'm getting there, but I still have days where I'm lucky IF I made contact on the face.

I just reread your post again... Can you describe or put up a picture or two of your grip? Three fingers? Left hand 3-finger, right hand 3-finger? lost!!

LOL "bannana hands"...I can relate to that. I'm 6'6" and have pretty big hands, but all of my clubs have the grips they came with. Should I look into thicker grips or what? Sometimes I feel like the club gets lost in my hands during my swing and I'm never terribly confident about my face angle at impact, especially with my longer irons, FWs and Driver.

LOL "bannana hands"...I can relate to that. I'm 6'6" and have pretty big hands, but all of my clubs have the grips they came with. Should I look into thicker grips or what? Sometimes I feel like the club gets lost in my hands during my swing and I'm never terribly confident about my face angle at impact, especially with my longer irons, FWs and Driver.

I guess I can only answer that by saying go get your grip sized. I can't stand the feel of a club with a standard sized grip on it. Like I said above, it's like I'm swinging a pencil. I wear a XXL glove and I use a midsize grip plus 3 wraps of tape to get comfortable. If you have a decent proshop nearby, I'd check there. The local Golfsmith has a Golf Pride sizing station with grips from undersized (think pencil lead) to standard (a pencil) midsize (a sharpie) and jumbo ( a good cuban cigar). Plus in that setup they have the intermediate sizes (plus X wraps of tape). That was how I started to narrow down what I wanted. I started with a size on a club or two and played with it from there.

I guess I can only answer that by saying go get your grip sized. I can't stand the feel of a club with a standard sized grip on it. Like I said above, it's like I'm swinging a pencil. I wear a XXL glove and I use a midsize grip plus 3 wraps of tape to get comfortable. If you have a decent proshop nearby, I'd check there. The local Golfsmith has a Golf Pride sizing station with grips from undersized (think pencil lead) to standard (a pencil) midsize (a sharpie) and jumbo ( a good cuban cigar). Plus in that setup they have the intermediate sizes (plus X wraps of tape). That was how I started to narrow down what I wanted. I started with a size on a club or two and played with it from there.

Thanks! I know of a shop that has a similar fitting station, I'm going to go chat with them and see what they think (and try some other grip sizes out to see what *I* think).

I'm playing mixed grips right now mainly because I haven't gotten around to re-gripping my non-irons. So the standard grip is still in play. I actually still hope to get ALL my clubs re-gripped with the GP NDMC, but I'll get them a little thinner as I get to the wedges for feel sake. Other than that though, I too have pretty big hands and have gone with the Mid sized grip for my irons and it feels great. I've never tried anything different and it makes a big difference to me in the feel. I was thinking about going with the mushy soft grips on the wedges, but I think I want consistency in the feel of the grip itself in the end and a matching look is just bad ass to me.

I'm playing mixed grips right now mainly because I haven't gotten around to re-gripping my non-irons. So the standard grip is still in play. I actually still hope to get ALL my clubs re-gripped with the GP NDMC, but I'll get them a little thinner as I get to the wedges for feel sake. Other than that though, I too have pretty big hands and have gone with the Mid sized grip for my irons and it feels great. I've never tried anything different and it makes a big difference to me in the feel. I was thinking about going with the mushy soft grips on the wedges, but I think I want consistency in the feel of the grip itself in the end and a matching look is just bad ass to me.

I talked with the PGA guy at Dicks last night about this. His thought was that he did not want to have a mushy grip on the wedges because of the torque applied to the club head/grip at the point of impact. We tend to drive the club into the ground at impact especially with wedges and that, in his mind, could cause the club to twist minutely as the mush compresses. While I certainly don't have the game to account for that small amount of twist his comments made sense to me.

Back