Different grips throughout your setup?

mdbuschsr

Just playing for fun
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 17.3
As I've read through many posts and different sources of information regarding grips, there is a pretty wide variety of opinions on grips. I want more feel, I want more grip. Playing in the rain or high humidity "requires" this grip. It's dry as a popcorn fart here, I don't need a cord grip!

So here is the question: Does anyone use different grips through your set?

For instance a full cord on the driver FW's and hybrids for the higher swing speeds.
A multi-compound, or half-cord on the long-mid irons for both grip and some feel.
Something nice and mushy on the scoring clubs to enhance feel completely with no worry about full swings.

I'm really curious about this, so hopefully it's not perceived as a dumb question. As someone with mammoth hands I have to buy new grips for every club I purchase. Currently, I play the GP NDMC in midsize plus 3-wraps of tape through my whole set except putter. But am I giving up some feel on the low end? Some grip on the high end?

I just received a new set of wedges, and the grips are woefully undersized for me at standard plus 2 wraps. I like the feel of the grip in my hand but my fingers are basically wrapping all the way around the club.

As I've read through many posts and different sources of information regarding grips, there is a pretty wide variety of opinions on grips. I want more feel, I want more grip. Playing in the rain or high humidity "requires" this grip. It's dry as a popcorn fart here, I don't need a cord grip!

So here is the question: Does anyone use different grips through your set?

For instance a full cord on the driver FW's and hybrids for the higher swing speeds.
A multi-compound, or half-cord on the long-mid irons for both grip and some feel.
Something nice and mushy on the scoring clubs to enhance feel completely with no worry about full swings.

I'm really curious about this, so hopefully it's not perceived as a dumb question. As someone with mammoth hands I have to buy new grips for every club I purchase. Currently, I play the GP NDMC in midsize plus 3-wraps of tape through my whole set except putter. But am I giving up some feel on the low end? Some grip on the high end?

I just received a new set of wedges, and the grips are woefully undersized for me at standard plus 2 wraps. I like the feel of the grip in my hand but my fingers are basically wrapping all the way around the club.

I play all sorts of mixed grips. And honestly, I wish I was playing all full corded. I play full corded on just my wedges right now and they are easily the most accurate clubs in my bag. I don't think you are really giving up much, if any, feel on the lower clubs.

Also, +2 wraps is small? Banana hands Matt! :D

I play all sorts of mixed grips. And honestly, I wish I was playing all full corded. I play full corded on just my wedges right now and they are easily the most accurate clubs in my bag. I don't think you are really giving up much, if any, feel on the lower clubs.

Also, +2 wraps is small? Banana hands Matt! :D

With a standard grip... +2 is like holding a pencil for me! and I've been told I have gorilla arms/hands my whole life, so "banana hands" is rather fitting.

My understanding is that full (and half) cord grips tend to be a bit firmer which lends itself in my puny little brain to lack in feel. No?

I have tried the full cord grips, and I hated the way they felt. I need to do something, and it may force me to start being called 2 glove Tony when it is 95* and 95% humidity, but if you like them, I see nothing wrong with having mixed grips. What ever works for you buddy.

Driver has something i can't recall...
Hybrid is stock adams.
VDRs for the irons & wood...
Black widow for the wedges

I have tried the full cord grips, and I hated the way they felt. I need to do something, and it may force me to start being called 2 glove Tony when it is 95* and 95% humidity, but if you like them, I see nothing wrong with having mixed grips. What ever works for you buddy.

Have you tried half cord? What other grips have you tried?

Driver has something i can't recall...
Hybrid is stock adams.
VDRs for the irons & wood...
Black widow for the wedges

That's a pretty good mix m-910. Any specific reason why, or just trying different stuff?

I used to game the GP tour wrap, and I thought they were fantastic. Frankly I hate the 2G version of that grip which is why I switched to the NDMC. When I made that change I realized I was missing out. Now, I am only questioning if that is the best grip for me across my whole set.

I have not tried half cords, but I felt like the full cords were chewing up my hands really bad, and that was just a couple of swings when Herman was fitting me.

I have not tried half cords, but I felt like the full cords were chewing up my hands really bad, and that was just a couple of swings when Herman was fitting me.

That's one of the reasons I like the half cord NDMC. The corded portion is under your glove (even if you do swing from the wrong side of the ball), while the softer portion is left for your exposed skin. I have taken a few swings sans glove with my clubs and my normally gloved hand takes a beating quickly!

Same grips for me all the way thru the bag with the exception of the putter.

Irons are all Tour Wrap mid size with 2 extra wraps of tape, wedges are all Lamkin Crossline mid size with 2 extra wraps, driver and 3W are full cord and the 19 hybrid is whatever it came with. I hit it well so I never think about it.

My driver, wood and hybrid grips are all standard stock. My 3+4 iron are standard 703 ping cords. 5-9 are firm midsize Winn Lite V17 Polycords. All my wedges have soft midsize Winn G8 grips with triple tape. Basically, the shorter the club, the thicker and softer I like the grips.

Irons are all Tour Wrap mid size with 2 extra wraps of tape, wedges are all Lamkin Crossline mid size with 2 extra wraps, driver and 3W are full cord and the 19 hybrid is whatever it came with. I hit it well so I never think about it.

Is it a feel thing, or were you just experimenting with different grips? I'd really like some more information on your choices. You obviously have large hands like me, so I have to admit some curiosity with the hybrid. I am just completely uncomfortable swinging a club with a standard grip. It feels so small to me that I end up squeezing the life out of the club. I just came back from my first range session with new wedges. They are fitted with UST Mamiya grips standard size plus 2 wraps. They are a half cord sort of similar to the GP NDMC that I am used to but again so small I have to concentrate on loosening my grip and not on my swing.

Sure. I have a prototype VDR grip on my Mizuno irons, stock Cobra grip on my driver (needs to be changed fast) stock cleveland grip on my CG12, and a black widow widow maker on my 56*.

And you can't really count the putter here can you? The grips there are totally different....especially with all the putter styles nowadays..

My driver, wood and hybrid grips are all standard stock. My 3+4 iron are standard 703 ping cords. 5-9 are firm midsize Winn Lite V17 Polycords. All my wedges have soft midsize Winn G8 grips with triple tape. Basically, the shorter the club, the thicker and softer I like the grips.

Why thicker as you go down? I ask because I was thinking the exact opposite for some reason. Does the softer grip impart more feel back into your hands?

At one time I had all NDMC on my clubs, but my fingers were getting chewed up by these grips so I went with Lamkin Crosslines on my wedges, a Black Widow Silk on my hybrids and 3 wood and back to the Titleist stock on my 910.

I am in the process of getting GP multi compounds on all my clubs. I have the grips, just lazy!

I play the GP VDRs on every club except putter. I have never thought about switching them up like that.

My set has different grips but it wasnt my doing. Most of my clubs were bought used and I just havent gotten them regripped since I bought them. Infact, my irons have midsize grips on them. I dont find that it bothers me really at all.

I hear you! I had some full cords put on my old FWs, they were ripping through my glove and skin so much that I didn't want to practice with the clubs at all. The cord grips that came with my vokey wedges feel OK though, they're softer and of course I don't swing them as hard as I do with the FWs. I have the VDRs on my irons now and really like them, was thinking about putting them on my driver and FWs too but the stock grips are still very new, so I guess I'll wait.

all tour velvets here but if i was to regrip would prob be VDR's + 1 wrap. No humidity probs here in Cali, so the tacki-er the better.

all GP New Decade Compounds....different colors though for each type of club

Feel is subjective. My grip pressure is the same throughout the entire bag and I never grip the club with more than three fingers anyways. I dont really understand the concept of needing more grip or more feel in certain situations. As soon as you make contact with the golf ball you should know where on the face you hit it, before even looking at ball flight.

Feel is subjective. My grip pressure is the same throughout the entire bag and I never grip the club with more than three fingers anyways. I dont really understand the concept of needing more grip or more feel in certain situations. As soon as you make contact with the golf ball you should know where on the face you hit it, before even looking at ball flight.

totally agree on grip pressure on the whole bag.

I have Winn Lites on my woods and hybrids and the VDR's on my wedges. I still have the stock grip on my RXT's since they're fairly new but I will be switching them out for VDR's at the end of this year. Why my setup is such? I just like a lighter feeling on the woods/hybrids and I love the tack on the VDR's for irons swings especially here in hot and humid FL. Completely subjective opinion though.

The NDMC's for me tear up my hands and I feel like they slick up too much with the humidity down here and my sweaty hands.

I try to keep the same grips throughout my set.

Currently have Tour Velvet on everything but am planning on replacing them with Black Widow Widowmakers

Back