Different head + same shaft = Big SS variance?

Jericho

Albatross
Reaction score
Handicap
I decided to put my shafts on a launch monitor to get some numbers in an effort to make a final decision on which to keep. The results were intriguing enough for me to bring them here.

Razr Fit 9.5
AD DI 7X vs. Diamana D+ S

-The AD DI had an average spin rate of 2618 (low of 2068, high of 3090)
-The D+ had an average spin rate of 2767 (low of 2334, high of 3126)

So thus far the AD has the better potential for lowering spin but its not a day and night difference. I did notice the SS seemed extremely low. I'm usually in the 110-112 range and this monitor had me in the 98-102 range. I don't really care about the actual # because I know some LM's are juiced and some are dead. I'm just looking for consistency...which brings me to the reason for this post.

I decided to try a different head. I took off my RF and put on an X-hot 9.5 (put the head on both of my shafts). Didn't change the LM settings one bit. The SS never went below 107. The spin rate went up to about 3k so the distance was a wash (both avg'ed ~288). So here I have 2 different heads on the same shafts that gave the same total distance but the X-Hot gave carry while the RF gave roll out.

How in the world can there be such a big increase in SS from a different head of the same loft and manufacturer??? One somehow has more drag?

Taking the physics out of this, my next question is what should I do from here? Logic says to take the head that gives more MPH (for whatever odd reason) and fit with a low spinning shaft however I don't know of a lower spinning shaft than the 2 I have and tried.

Suggestions?

Well, backspin counters side spin, so theoretically you should be consistently straighter with the extra backspin, but only if side spin numbers were close as well.

Then it may just depend on what you prefer, greater carry, or role.

This is how manufacturers make improvements. These are those improvements.

Fwiw always choose carry over roll. When its dry, the carry will get longer. When its wet, it will still be long but won't roll.

When the shorter carry driver gets played in wet, it really doesn't carry very far at all and won't roll out in soft conditions.

Fwiw always choose carry over roll. When its dry, the carry will get longer. When its wet, it will still be long but won't roll.

When the shorter carry driver gets played in wet, it really doesn't carry very far at all and won't roll out in soft conditions.

I think I'll agree with that. The reason I wanted some roll was in S. Florida we get a LOT of wind that punishes anything that gets up there. BUT we also get a LOT of rain as well. LOL Florida sucks in the summer but is great when the snowbirds pack it up for the year.

This is well said. R&D works.

Back