Different swing for driver versus irons?

nicklongdrive

"It's complicated" with the PGATSS
Reaction score
Handicap
OB
Anyone else use a completely mechanically different swing for driver?

I do a Moe/Bryson single plane swing for driver and a normal 2 plane for irons. I find that is the only way I can play a very controllable fade and swing as hard as I want. I personally play a fade with all of my clubs now and don't really see myself playing any other way now, honestly.

I even tried single plane for irons but if you have any strength in your grip that turns into excessive hooks fast.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I would like to think my mechanics are the same between the two swings, but I do have different thoughts between iron and driver swings.

If it works for you, just roll with it.

I would like to think my mechanics are the same between the two swings, but I do have different thoughts between iron and driver swings.

If it works for you, just roll with it.

Oh, for sure, not thinking about changing it. Was just curious. since I think a lot of people are like you where they think about fundamentally different things and it produces a much different swing.

Anyone else use a completely mechanically different swing for driver?

I do a Moe/Bryson single plane swing for driver and a normal 2 plane for irons. I find that is the only way I can play a very controllable fade and swing as hard as I want. I personally play a fade with all of my clubs now and don't really see myself playing any other way now, honestly.

I even tried single plane for irons but if you have any strength in your grip that turns into excessive hooks fast.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
This is a good question! I have no idea honestly how my swings compare. In my head, I do try to stress an inside-out plane with my driver that I dont necessarily think about when I'm swinging my irons.

A couple weeks ago, I got my first ever lesson. We did irons the whole time, but after I left, I thought, hmm do I use these same principles for my driver?! Haha. I have no idea, its something I plan to talk with my instructor about next lesson.

Not consciously, at least. As @blugold said, I am not thinking the same things swinging driver vs everything else, and my setup is somewhat different, but once I'm actually pulling the trigger and swinging, nothing is different. The only thing I will actually vary my swing mechanics on is if I'm trying to shape a shot - fade I'm thinking start the backswing slightly above/outside the plane, draw I'm trying to bring it under/inside the plane.

I have one full swing. At least I think I do. For the most part, I just swing the club head, and the ball is just in the way of that swinging club head.

I know I use the same hand grip for every swing, and club.

Obviously my iron swing AoA is a little steeper, but it's not something I think about. It just happens.

If I think of anything, it's my one piece take away. If I do that move correctly, everything else up, and back to the ball seems to fall in line.

I like to think that my swing is the same for both. My practice swings and feels that I look for a somewhat similar depending on the shot (draw or fade) that I want to play. However I’d imagine due to my stance and ball position they’re slightly different from a third person point of view.

I feel like hitting up on a driver and hitting down and compressing irons requires a different swing.

My two swings are very different. I too think about swinging on a slight upward angle with the driver and then a downward angle with the irons.

I would think my swing is basically the same, but I vary ball position and (maybe?) subtle changes in spine tilt?

Back