Different wedge problem

pjcedog

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been having a problem with just killing my wedges lately. Killing them, hitting them like 20 or more yards past what would be normal for me. Any idea what would cause this? I hit my 60* lob wedge something like 120 yards the other day from about 80 yards out, clear over everything and into the woods, high and long, not much spin it looked like too, the ball just took off when it hit. My half shots with those wedges are good and my sand shots are good, lobs and flops are great, just full swings are over-powered. Any suggestions or ideas - or do I just need to practice more.

PJ is the ball flight the way that it has been? If the height is there but the ball is taking off like a bullet with no stopping power there could be a couple of things. First are the wedges grooves clean and are they in tact? It sounds to me like you have hit a couple of fliers with the wedges. A flier is caused by debris in the grooves (or lack of grooves) or something like grass getting between the face and the ball.

Assuming that all of that is ok I would look into how aggresive you are swing the wedges. I don't want you to feel like you are trying to nuke your wedges. The key is to stay smooth. These are your scoring clubs and you aren't trying to hit them a long distance. Let me know what you find out and if there is more that I can do to help.

Thanks for the response. I keep these wedges real clean and the wedges I have are fairly new so the grooves are good on them, they are a little heavier than the cheap wedges I used to hit. I realize now after the smoke has cleared that maybe what I was doing by moving the ball back in my stance to try to hit them lower was de-lofting both wedges too much, and then on top of that swinging full just sent them out of control. I will go back to square one with the wedge game and let you know what happens. I was very frustrated to be sitting 60 yards out in the middle of the fairway on almost every par 4 the other day and then clubbing the ball over everything with my lob wedge. Like Tin Cup I just kept doing the same thing over and over thinking it would turn out differently.

Thanks for the response. I keep these wedges real clean and the wedges I have are fairly new so the grooves are good on them, they are a little heavier than the cheap wedges I used to hit. I realize now after the smoke has cleared that maybe what I was doing by moving the ball back in my stance to try to hit them lower was de-lofting both wedges too much, and then on top of that swinging full just sent them out of control. I will go back to square one with the wedge game and let you know what happens. I was very frustrated to be sitting 60 yards out in the middle of the fairway on almost every par 4 the other day and then clubbing the ball over everything with my lob wedge. Like Tin Cup I just kept doing the same thing over and over thinking it would turn out differently.

This sounds pretty familiar to me. Some say this is the definition of insanity. :bulgy-eyes:

Back