Difficulty of First Hole?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Went to a course today and their 1st hole is the #1 handicap. Their 2nd hole is the 3rd hardest hole.
It was super bizarre and I am not sure I want to start out that hard.

What are your thoughts?

Definitely do not like that. I like easy or medium holes to start. Ease into the round a little bit. I also really don't like it when #2 is a par 3. Just a personal preference.

I like the traditional approach of easing into the round on the first hole

Went to a course today and their 1st hole is the #1 handicap. Their 2nd hole is the 3rd hardest hole.

What are your thoughts?

Some if my best rounds start with a bogey, so I say bring it early! Ha!

I prefer not to start that hard, but on the upside if you can play them even par or even maybe +1 you have a great start to the round.

I like to ease into things a bit myself, but then again, it just gets easier after a start like that. :confused2:

Toughest hole to start it off? That's far from ideal.

I think the first hole gets overlooked too often in course design. It doesn't have to be picturesque or the photo on the website, but it should give players a great indication of what the course is about. Like a little appetizer.

Quickly gets the hardest hole out the way. Downhill from there! :LOL:

I'm not sure what I think about it for a course design. Those first few swings can be the hardest of the day. I little bit of ramp up is nice in terms of flow.

I am not a huge fan of a super hard starting hole. Give me a hole to raise my hopes and spirits before you crush me with reality.

Some if my best rounds start with a bogey, so I say bring it early! Ha!

Starting with a bogey is a good start for me.

First time playing the course I wouldn’t want that, if it’s a course I play regularly I’m ok with it bc I know mentally how to prepare for the first 3 holes.

No fear! Bring it on!:soldier:

One of the courses I play most often starts with a Par 3 which is odd n it’s own right.. and makes for a nightmare on the first tee for tee times, but it plays like 230 yards too. Tough way to start your day

That is odd to have the 2 toughest holes on a side as the first 2 holes. I wouldn’t mind the hardest hole to start out if it was paired with a easy hole or vice verse.

The opening hole at our course is the 3rd hardest and I think it is the hardest hole because water is up the right side of the hole which makes it hard for almost all golfers.

Well, at least you get it out of the way early I guess? That is a bit of an odd play though, and probably terrible for pace of play.

A course here has their first hole as the #1 handicap hole.
Black Tee 607, White 553, Red 489
Par 5, stupid narrow fairway. OB on the left the entire way down the hole.

This hole sucks. Creates a backlog right off the hop, not unusual to have 3 groups on the hole at a time.

Worst way to start a round of golf EVER.

I'm from the "gentle handshake" approach to the first hole. However, they're all hard for me, so it's the thought that counts.

I mean I’m not a huge fan of it, but maybe it would make a double feel better on the hardest hole instead of an iron and wedge into a par4.

Agreed. I’d rather not. But if it’s the case, game on. ?

It's not normal for the first hole to be the #1 handicap hole, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is the "hardest" hole (although it could be). It simply means that it is the hole where a high handicap player needs a stroke against a lower handicap player. I learned a lot about hole handicaps when we re-rated our holes at Painted Hills and again at Dubs Dread a few years later.

Causes one to come out focused right out of the gates. Get through the gauntlet and you could potentially have a start to a great round.

What are your thoughts?
Ours is the #2 and I kind of like it.

You get it out of the way and get rewarded with a pretty easy second hole.

Number 1 at my home course is the number 2 handicap hole. OB 10 yards left of the fairway for the length of the hole. I used to find it fairly frequently but now rarely do. But it still looms large. Starting on the back 9 with a par 4 that is about 50 yards shorter and the most wide open fairway on the course is an absolute joy compared to starting on #1.

The first hole should not be the #1 hdcp hole no way. I Iike to start with a couple par 4’s, maybe a 5 then a 3

Back