Direct to consumer ball news....

pilot25

Reaction score
Handicap
So apparently, from another source, the direct to consumer golf ball industry has been uncovered. Companies like Snell, Cutblue, Vice etc all source their balls from a Asia manufacturer called Foremostgolf. They crank out balls for anyone who wants to place orders with them. All you need is a phone and a name. The balls appear to have the same exact core and core materials, cover, and dimple pattern. Of which are from patents owned by established companies like Titleist.

Remember CutBlue was have severe difficulty delivering their balls to consumers. Turns out another DTC company bought out all the Foremost manufacturing time to stockpile inventory and box out the competition. Some of these balls have slight differences but are essentially the same ball. Of note Titleist parent company is suing several unknown brands, save Vice, for patent infringement.

Marketing a ball and getting even GolfDigest to believe you are making TourPro grade balls at range ball prices. These companies should be ashamed.

I'm going to forever stick with Titleist. American made with thousands of patents of R&D.

I know everyone on here reads info from other sites and has seen this story. What say you?

I seen where Vice and The Monster ball were the same when cut into but didn't see the part about Snell and Cut.

Do you have a link to the part about those two?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sounds about right.

I think someone drank the kool aid and now has remorse over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure thay people have known about the existence of Foremost for quite some time.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

This is an open secret. Nothing has been uncovered.

Next you're going to tell us how Costco doesn't make their own golf balls.

I don’t see the big deal. Large retail stores (Target, Walmart, Costco) do this same thing with their house brands. I don’t remember any of these companies, maybe besides Oncore and Polara, state the patented or created the balls they sell. I think many consumers are worried about a good product and a good value.

I would be surprised if Snell was just ordering balls from Foremost catalog. Maybe Foremost manufacturers their balls, but I think it's to Snell specifications.

Im genuinely surprised this is a story, but I know a certain golf company that rhymes with Snell has wanted it to be for a while. Dean Snell said so on our THP TV video over a year ago.

Last edited:
Im genuinely surprised this is a story, but I know a certain golf company that rhymes with Snell has wanted it to be for a while. Dean Snell said so on our THP TV video over a year ago.

I was going to say, I remember both hearing and reading that in here back when there was a proliferation of all those companies. I thought this was established already.

I know Snell is in control of most steps of their process, but does anybody know about OnCore's production? It seems they're actually doing something different, (which seems to be working) so I'd be surprised if they were lumped into this group.

I know Snell is in control of most steps of their process, but does anybody know about OnCore's production? It seems they're actually doing something different, (which seems to be working) so I'd be surprised if they were lumped into this group.

They’ve always talked about specifics in design - incorporation of metal, etc. I think they’re not necessarily just DTC either - I think they might be in some shops in the northeast. They’ve also been doing a lot with kid’s golf, if I recall. Also seem to be making a push with sponsorships. I would have to imagine they’re not just straight ordering catalog balls and stamping a logo on them.

Yeah I've seen them in a number of Pro Shops around here - their HQ is just a few miles from where I work. They were also a sponsor for a charity golf tournament myself and my company put on. Their Elixr ball is the real deal - it's actually fighting Bridgestone for my choice of ball right now. I sent an email yesterday inquiring about where their manufacturing takes place. This thread is pretty good timing, so I'll chime back in when I get a response. I will say this - if people have a chance to try one of their Elixr's give it a fair shake. I'm not a fan of their metal core ball, but I'm really enjoying their tour caliber ball right now.

Ok ok ok, I’ll ask, why is this THAT surprising? To me this trying to make a whole lot more ballyhoo than necessary.

I’m not sure that people grasp the cost of legitimate R&D on a small small company.

As for the whole they should be ashamed thing, should they? They’re still urethane three piece golf balls that obviously perform because feedback has always been solid on them.

Now, the patent infringement will be handled in time, Titleist always wins that.

I get companies like Snell wanting this story out there, but, does it help them? To me, their concern should be the fact that their ball isn’t that much cheaper anymore with the likes of Srixon running the deals they do.

My take.

Ok ok ok, I’ll ask, why is this THAT surprising? To me this trying to make a whole lot more ballyhoo than necessary.

I’m not sure that people grasp the cost of legitimate R&D on a small small company.

As for the whole they should be ashamed thing, should they? They’re still urethane three piece golf balls that obviously perform because feedback has always been solid on them.

Now, the patent infringement will be handled in time, Titleist always wins that.

I get companies like Snell wanting this story out there, but, does it help them? To me, their concern should be the fact that their ball isn’t that much cheaper anymore with the likes of Srixon running the deals they do.

My take.

Spot on.

Btw for my $$ Srixon makes a better ball (although Snells are very good too for the price. Don’t want to take that away).

I’m comfortable with the background and expertise of Dean Snell and play the MTB X. I’m not interested in any of the other direct to consumer balls.

Price is not the main concern for me as name brand balls are about the same price on the buy 3 get one free deals through my club( $120 for 4 dozen TP5x). One of the main reasons I play them is nobody else in my group does. I played mostly Maxflis before the Snell’s for the same reason.

But wait, there’s more, I deleted this part the first post but, well, to hell with it.

I read everything everyone out there does, so, I find it funny that this whole ‘uproar’ directly contradicts some recent massive testing done because if these balls are the same, which we know they are now, then they should have all tested the same, no?

Also, remember the Costco love train? Those are essentially these golf balls too, different factory and formula (every time they order them) but it’s the same thing, generic golf balls but Costco was praised and heralded for it by the same outlets?

Things that make me go, hmm.

Last edited:
I also read the article and watched the videos from the other source and was blown away by some of the findings. I had no idea companies were doing this. I've only played Titleist Prov1x and Snell MTB over the last 10 years or so, with the Prov1x being my gamer for most of that time, so I'm confident I have been playing great quality balls. I am looking forward to learning more from this story.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

But wait, there’s more, I deleted this part the first post but, well, to hell with it.

I read everything everyone out there does, so, I find it funny that this whole ‘uproar’ directly contradicts some recent massive testing done because if these balls are the same, which we know they are now, then they should have all tested the same, no?

Also, remember the Costco love train? Those are essentially these golf balls too, different factory and formula (every time they order them) but it’s the same thing, generic golf balls but Costco was praised and heralded for it by the same outlets?

Things that make me go, hmm.

Bro you hit the nail on the head and glad you put it out there.

I also read the article and watched the videos from the other source and was blown away by some of the findings. I had no idea companies were doing this. I've only played Titleist Prov1x and Snell MTB over the last 10 years or so, with the Prov1x being my gamer for most of that time, so I'm confident I have been playing great quality balls. I am looking forward to learning more from this story.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

As James mentions above, when they touted the prior Costco ball and propped that offering up, was this reality a consideration? The idea behind this thread was first posted here on THP during the Costco ball craze.

It’s like that page is manipulating the story in the direction they (or their newer sponsors) want.

It’s more of a heads up to consumers than anything else. Whether it’s golf balls or toasters there will always be a factory in Asia doing stuff cheap and knocking off patents. There are pages within THP of folks raving about these balls. I don’t think they are wrong. They like them and should play them if they like. The companies who hold patents should enforce them or what is the reason to have them.

. The companies who hold patents should enforce them or what is the reason to have them.

It’s very hard to enforce patents with Asian companies. They don’t give a damn because there aren’t really any repercussions for them stealing designs.

So apparently, from another source, the direct to consumer golf ball industry has been uncovered. Companies like Snell, Cutblue, Vice etc all source their balls from a Asia manufacturer called Foremostgolf. They crank out balls for anyone who wants to place orders with them. All you need is a phone and a name. The balls appear to have the same exact core and core materials, cover, and dimple pattern. Of which are from patents owned by established companies like Titleist.

Remember CutBlue was have severe difficulty delivering their balls to consumers. Turns out another DTC company bought out all the Foremost manufacturing time to stockpile inventory and box out the competition. Some of these balls have slight differences but are essentially the same ball. Of note Titleist parent company is suing several unknown brands, save Vice, for patent infringement.

Marketing a ball and getting even GolfDigest to believe you are making TourPro grade balls at range ball prices. These companies should be ashamed.

I'm going to forever stick with Titleist. American made with thousands of patents of R&D.

I know everyone on here reads info from other sites and has seen this story. What say you?

Is this the article you are referring to?
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/five-golf-ball-companies-named

If so this came in out in 2015.

Back