Disheartening to see this

Both of the better public courses in my area were hit with greens issues a few years back. It was a dark time for golf around here. I resorted to the “cow pasture” courses for a while. Cheap fees but woof!

It can also be a staffing issue. Where I live you need a license to use restricted chemicals. What do you do when nobody on staff has the necessary license?

I’ll disagree with that about the heat. There are a lot of courses in North and especially West Texas that have bent grass greens. The big deal is you have to have fans on them in the humid areas like DFW. West Texas has enough wind usually but they do have to have someone water the greens down once ore twice a day to cook them off a little.
You say it isn't the heat then tell the various ways the course uses to keep their greens cool.🤔

Yeah, I'd be very disappointed to see that. If it was my home course, I might give them a pass until next season and if it happens again it's signs of a larger issue. If it doesn't then it was an error/oversight - we all make them.

If it was a greens fee situation I'd scratch that course off my list of places to play.

At my home course we have several tee boxes that have literally NO grass on them. One of them is not usually used for the white tees, but it's been there 70% of the season, and there's just nothing but dirt left as a result. It's certainly not ideal, but I can tolerate a bad tee way more than a bad green.

Wow. I’m not a member but if I was I’d seriously think about switching. That’s crazy! My local muny looks better than that and we have been dealing with record 100+ days all summer.

Happened at my course this year too. As someone above stated in this area you have to be licensed to spray a lot of that stuff. Our greens keeper left this spring and they have been unwilling to pay for a new one. Also it’s been a weird year weather wise so some of this stuff is off it’s normal pattern.

If that was the response I got I would be walking my happy ass up to the head pro and asking for his head or a refund of my membership.
This would have been my response as well. :mad:

Refuse to play courses with greens like that, would rather not play. 0 point, 1 number rule about a club, greens must be good. Period no exceptions.

I would most likely reach out to another local CC course and see if I could get a discounted rate on membership fees and transfer over to that club (It wouldn't be a hard sell, the golf community is a small circle and usually pretty cool about provision like this) I would attempt to get let out of the membership agreement and no longer pay the months. These are usually 12 month contracts so hopefully if you do decide to bounce they let you off the final months on the contract.

Last edited:
This would have been my response as well. :mad:

You can't play golf on greens like that. It's like bowling with craters in the lanes, it's stupid.....

You can't play golf on greens like that. It's like bowling with craters in the lanes, it's stupid.....

I've played courses like this unfortunately. It becomes a shot shaping, contact, kinda day ... hit multiple balls, practice. Once on the green, automatic 2 putt. (y)

Options exist. I'd play there if course layout was nice and price was cheap. If no price consideration based on conditions I'd be playing elsewhere.

I've played courses like this unfortunately. It becomes a shot shaping, contact, kinda day ... hit multiple balls, practice. Once on the green, automatic 2 putt. (y)
100%

Practice round all the way. Assuming the fairways and/or tee boxes are nice then take advantage of those.....

A few years ago, one of the courses I play occasionally had an issue with some kind of fungus brought in from somewhere else. You could SEE the footprints of whoever transported it to the course a few weeks after they were contaminated. The spots grew over the next several weeks and months and they eventually lost all of the greens by the end of the season. They did their best by essentially rebuilding one or two at a time later in the season, and they were all, more or less, back to normal by the middle of the following year. IT isn't always the Greenskeepers fault. It took awhile for the problem to manifest and by the time it was really noticed, it was too late.

Back