Disheartening to see this

Ohhhhh that is SO upsetting to look at.

Disease?
Apparently something they normally treat for, but missed because they were working on other projects in the course 🤷🏼‍♂️

Apparently something they normally treat for, but missed because they were working on other projects in the course 🤷🏼‍♂️
we get that from time to time at our course (the excuse not those greens). It usually goes over pretty poorly with the membership.

That sucks! It would be hard for me to motivate to repair a pitch mark on that green

Goose and crab grass pre-emergent is temperature specific and you gotta be on top of it. Big time. For the average homeowner is means watching the Forsythia. It’s the yellow shrub that blooms in the spring. Those blooms appear at the same temperature goose/crab germinate. You gotta get it down in the right window and essentially get a chemical barrier during prime germination.

It blows my mind to see it, especially with the resources available these days. But in a world where you’re at the mercy of the weather, 3-4 of those early spring sunny days where you’re pissing your pants to get outside and play, plant material is doing the same.

Pro’s are a dime a dozen, a good superintendent is another story.

And fix your ball marks regardless.

I don't have many options so I just have to suck it up and just play the course.

But yeah it's been a rough summer and with a drought over most areas I would guess it's been hard on a log of mini courses

I don't have many options so I just have to suck it up and just play the course.

But yeah it's been a rough summer and with a drought over most areas I would guess it's been hard on a log of mini courses

Still better than watching it on TV!

I stopped and asked the greens keeper, he was blasé blasé about it and said "yeah we missed the window for treating with pre-emergent, they'll look better next year" 😵‍💫 A lot of good that does for the membership I paid for this year. 🤔

Yeah with an answer like that, I'd be out. Literally the most important job on the course for the greens keeper, and he "missed the window"??? Sounds like just not paying attention.

The second picture looks like the old bent in Memphis experiment around the middle of August. Bent sure doesn't like heat.

I feel your pain. One of the courses I play has greens that are in bad shape. It's a public course I like to play for some interesting challenging holes and the folks you meet from all walks of life with no golf snobbery. Talked to one of the employees who works for the general manager/club pro who said it was THE MONEY -- not enough. City does not want to increase the green fees. Believe a lot of public courses are going to face some challenging financial times going forward.

Good Golfing

Yes i think you should have his head. But before that you should tie him down, pin his eyes open with toothpicks in the sun and urinate in them, then cover him in honey and sawdust and set him in a tank with 2 dozen hungry rats. I mean really man. Sometimes things happen. People need to calm down before chopping heads off. . Unless its been a normal history before and or expected for some reason to be a norm in the future, ya just have to accept that sometimes things go wrong.
I wouldn't roll in asking for his head and was trying to be more funny in my post than anything, but its the internet and it is what it is. Mistakes happen, but it sounds like asking for my money is out of line? Kind of a bizarre take in my opinion when the business didn't hold up their end of the deal by maintaining the course correctly.
Oh its certainly an issue for sure and I really don't know what is so correct or not as for refund.
There is a lot to consider.
How much did it cost?
How long of the season/year has the geens been (not like this) but very playable vs this current spell?
How long will it be till they are playable again?
Is there and clause in any contract pertaining to conditions? I mean lets suppose a massive doubt took place and due to no ones fault the entire course got burned up badly. What then?

If the owner was simply knowingly negligent then thats when one would imo stand a good case and even that would still imo be retroactive based on how long were things just fine vs not. If the owner wasnt negligent then but it was someone's honest mistake or something happened out of their control (think droubt scenario above) then I dont know what i right or wrong. Can the ownder afford to refund or afford even to have no charge for next season?

This whole thing can be a real mess for everyone and I dont know what can be done legally. Morally some sort of compensation I feel is proper but if the owner cant afford that or not is a real problem. Just what a messy situation to be involved from every angle.

Looks fungal, possibly. Could be piss poor planning, not getting product on site in time due to budget retraints, application equipment not up to par/waiting on repairs. There's a number of things that can lead to missing application windows. If the Superintendent is worth his salt, trust me, he's losing more sleep over this than you or ANY member out there. If not, it's probably because he's become apathetic about not getting the support he needs from the higher ups, or he just doesn't care. In one case you feel for the guy. In the other..........he needs to be replaced. 🤷‍♂️

Usually when we face conditions like this we’ll incorporate an automatic 2 putt max rule. Those rounds are not used for handicap posting though…

That second pic !! We might give relief for GIR if you had to putt over that

Oh its certainly an issue for sure and I really don't know what is so correct or not as for refund.
There is a lot to consider.
How much did it cost?
How long of the season/year has the geens been (not like this) but very playable vs this current spell?
How long will it be till they are playable again?
Is there and clause in any contract pertaining to conditions? I mean lets suppose a massive doubt took place and due to no ones fault the entire course got burned up badly. What then?

If the owner was simply knowingly negligent then thats when one would imo stand a good case and even that would still imo be retroactive based on how long were things just fine vs not. If the owner wasnt negligent then but it was someone's honest mistake or something happened out of their control (think droubt scenario above) then I dont know what i right or wrong. Can the ownder afford to refund or afford even to have no charge for next season?

This whole thing can be a real mess for everyone and I dont know what can be done legally. Morally some sort of compensation I feel is proper but if the owner cant afford that or not is a real problem. Just what a messy situation to be involved from every angle.

Good luck with that…..🙄

I still do the right thing while I am playing but certainly consider finding another course to give my money to.

Played a course today with a lot of dry patches. Some rough putting. Was still fun but will pick a course with better greens next time.

Hate seeing it, hopefully they address it and it gets better for the next season.

I've been bitching for a couple of years at the management at my "home" course about the conditions of some of the greens, especially the 9th hole, and cart paths going to certain holes. Kept raising prices every year, but nothing changes on the course. Have a ski hill in the winter, and it's expensive to ski there, and the golf course still suffers. They say that they will be evaluating the course at the end of the year, and will make necessary repairs, and changes, as needed, prioritizing the most needed items first. Well, we'll see if the green fees go up again next year...

That first picture looks like our 9 hole course at home....

The second picture looks like the old bent in Memphis experiment around the middle of August. Bent sure doesn't like heat.
I’ll disagree with that about the heat. There are a lot of courses in North and especially West Texas that have bent grass greens. The big deal is you have to have fans on them in the humid areas like DFW. West Texas has enough wind usually but they do have to have someone water the greens down once ore twice a day to cook them off a little.

That is pretty bad. Ours were like that for a lot of last year because of a brutal winter we had that killed a lot of the greens. We just had to make do and trust the greens staff to do their job. A lot of members bailed on the club, but in reality most of the courses in the area were the same. Only the links turf escaped relatively unscathed.

Back