Distance Fittings

Minarets

Reaction score
Handicap
Seems like a few club manufacturers are offering up "distance fittings" for free online. What exactly is to be expected? Anyone know? How accurate could these be?

I think I've seen where they want you to block off 30 min. How do they check loft or lie angle? Or how can they tell how fast you swing to see what type shaft you need?

Genuinely curious. Thanks.

I don't advise it. I done it with my irons and I'm already moving on. Take the time to go get fit. Even if they tell you exactly what you need, it may feel horrible and just not workout for you

Distance fittings work for certain portions.

They are good for discussing bag makeup, club head choices, and general recommendations.

They don't replace actually hitting a golf ball. Ultimately they are a discussion with a club fitting professional. But if you are not honest with your game their advice can only go so far. If you have launch monitor numbers they can discuss from there much better if you have no numbers. Some will even let you email your swing so they can get an idea of your swing

The one good thing with the distance fittings is they generally tack on discounts.

This type of fitting would only be useful for a beginner golfer looking to spend good money on a starter set given they are unlikely to produce any consistent swing pattern that a fitter can work with in a proper fitting.

Results will all be similar: Game improvement head that is forged so future adjustments are possible Lighter weight shaft in stiff flex, reg flex for an older golfer. Standard lie/length. May as well just buy off the rack..

Alternatively get a measuring tape out and use the Ping fitting system. It's not perfect but it does recommend the same specs that I use currently.

Back