Distance from Club Face to Ball at Address?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Just curious as to how close or far people address the club face from the ball when you're about to swing. I know it varies from club to club, as I thought about this when I found I could significantly alter my trajectory with my driver based on variance in the spacing.

Where do you rest your irons behind the ball?

Woods?
Wedges?

Set all of my clubs right behind the ball at address. Really never have experimented with putting a little space in there probably out of fear of drop kicking woods and chunking irons and wedges.

Everything but driver, I have them right behind the ball at address - like almost touching, less than an inch. Driver is about 3-4 inches.

Set all of my clubs right behind the ball at address. Really never have experimented with putting a little space in there probably out of fear of drop kicking woods and chunking irons and wedges.
Like so close they're pretty much touching? Or actually touching? I know the distance gap can be minuscule.

Right behind the ball for everything apat from the driver

With that I have a space as I feel it helps me to hit the ball slightly on the upswing

Everything sets up with the club head directly behind the ball with the exception of my driver. The driver maintains about a 2" gap to the back of the ball.

Like so close they're pretty much touching? Or actually touching? I know the distance gap can be minuscule.
No more than 1/4" here. Enough that you don't disturb the ball, but not like you can see a strip of grass between

All of mine are set up right behind the ball close.

Yeah, me too. Right behind them all. Is there a reason you're all staying back with the driver?

For most shots, I'd call it "almost touching". That being said, if there's any chance that I'm going to incur a penalty stroke for accidentally moving my ball at rest or something else (sand, pine needles, deep rough, etc.), I'm hovering.

The club head is usually on straight line from my left shoulder, through my arm, hand, and through the club shaft.

Since I progressively narrow my stance, which kind of moves the ball back in my stance from my driver to my LW, the distance from the club face to the ball changes.

(sorry for such a long sentence. I was on a roll there)

With my driver the distance is a few inches. With my LW, the distance is really short, as in almost touching.

What I do is probably not correct, but it does work for me, as far as getting the club face square to my ball aim line.

I see others who place their driver face really close to the ball at address. If I do that, i will pull, or pull hook the ball to the left. It's not pretty...lol

I like to set mine right behind the ball. As close as I can without disturbing anything... I find that it helps me “locate” on the downswing.

Really, really close but not touching.

My clubs are on the ball like stink on poo, I mean like the slightest move and the ball could possibly move..

Yeah, me too. Right behind them all. Is there a reason you're all staying back with the driver?
I play the ball about 2 inches in front of my right foot with the driver - when I took lessons the pro recommended moving it forward to give me that extra split second to close the club face. I have to set up with the club even with or slightly inside my foot otherwise it's super awkward. It also helps me to really swing up at it to launch it.

I play the ball about 2 inches in front of my right foot with the driver - when I took lessons the pro recommended moving it forward to give me that extra split second to close the club face. I have to set up with the club even with or slightly inside my foot otherwise it's super awkward. It also helps me to really swing up at it to launch it.
That's what I wondered. If you guys were using it as a way to get an upward attack on it.

So you're a lefty? That is really, really far forward. I don't think I could pull that off well.

So, oddly, I have found that if I set up my driver approx 1.5- 2 inches behind the ball I hit a higher ball flight than if I set the club head back 3-4 inches. The further back position creates a lower, more piercing fight. I don't hover the club, so it seems like it should be the opposite.

I am simply guessing that setting the club back a bit forces me to move my hands slightly more forward at impact creating a more shallow AoA.

I don't go right up against the ball for fear of accidentally moving it. So about a half inch, maybe a shade closer, for most shots off the deck. Driver might be three quarters to an inch. Hazards and weird lies would depend and could require a couple/few extra inches if weird enough.

Right behind the ball--always. One of the keys to my consistency is eliminating variables.

No... no... no... not something else to think about.

As close as possible without touching or disturbing the ball. Even with driver, but I prefer to hit close to level or even 1* down with driver.

Back