C

ChristianGolfer

Used to hit the ball further with my irons....if I actually hit it!ever since I stopped trying to crush it, I'm having tough time with my distances.I now have a smoother swing but I used to take a 5 iron for a 190 - 200 yard shot, it is now a 3 hybrid. This does not seem normal to me. Any tips or suggestions to get the distance back. Is 10 yards a reasonable distance between clubs?

I think you might want to ask our THP Resident Pro. 10 yards is close to what I am at for distances and I hit my 3 iron about 200, so those seem right on the money for me. But I am not a long ball hitter.

Generally speaking people have higher gaps in the shorter clubs. You have to hit a 4-iron pretty hard to get a decent gap over a 5-iron. So there will be a lot of people whose club progressions look something like this:

SW-100
PW-115
9-130
8-145
7-155
6-165
5-173
4-180
3-185

Those are carry distances. The actual impact of it is I suspect hidden somewhat by the additional roll with the longer club that evens it up a bit. Not so helpful when you have a bunker to carry.

To get steady gaps up through the longer clubs is difficult unless your clubhead speed is pretty good. As to the question - 10 yards would be a good gap to achieve throughout your bag, but, like I said, it's difficult and struggling with that hardly makes you unusual.

A 10 yard gap is pretty normal. I am between 10-15 yard gap averages on of my irons. I lose that 12 +/- gap yardage average in my woods. My driver is good for 250, and my 3W off the tee is good for 225. 5w is 210, and my 7W is <190.

Your 190 yard 5i is way past normal for me....lol I wish I could hit a 5i a 190 yards. 190-200 yards, off the turf is a 5 wood for me.

I am a short hitter with an easy swinger, with consistent tempo, and timing. On full swings, if I swing slower than normal, I lose distance, and some accuracy. If I swing faster than normal, I lose accuracy, and the added distance is of no value. If I could get back to my old swing where I kept the proper lag to release, and had a more consistent, weight shift, and impact position, I could probably gain some of the lost yardage I use to have.

As for getting "your own" old distances back, that is a topic for this site's resident swing guru. :comp:

I just changed balls and when I make a good swing, I drive almost 20 yards longer than I used to. Although I think it's mostly roll.

Back