distance monster irons

weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a new set of Srixon Z 585 that I really love the feel of. I get plenty of distance and forgiveness w/ solid spin. In short....they are a great set of irons. These clubs are steel shaft. I also have a Rogue X graphite 4 iron that is my short par 4 tee club and I actually kill it (for me) off the ground despite it being only 18*. I am contemplating adding a second set of irons and if I do I was thinking of going the distance route. Tour Edge EXS, Rogue X, or Wilson D7. If I go with one of these 3 I will keep my 585's. I have also contemplated trading the 585's in and just going with the F9 in steel except the 4I in graphite. My hdcp fluctuates from 11-13 w/ a mid 90's driver SS. I know the Cobra are much loved on here but curious if anyone has hit multiple irons on my list. Thanks all

My swing didn't groove with the F9's, it did with the Wilson D7, but the Cleveland Launcher CBX just were amazing for me! The Cleveland have a similar V-sole to your Srixon. I did not try out the tour edge ones as the Cleveland ones were that good for my swing I kind of stopped there.

One question though, why do you feel you the need to go the distance route?

I have a new set of Srixon Z 585 that I really love the feel of. I get plenty of distance and forgiveness w/ solid spin. In short....they are a great set of irons. These clubs are steel shaft. I also have a Rogue X graphite 4 iron that is my short par 4 tee club and I actually kill it (for me) off the ground despite it being only 18*. I am contemplating adding a second set of irons and if I do I was thinking of going the distance route. Tour Edge EXS, Rogue X, or Wilson D7. If I go with one of these 3 I will keep my 585's. I have also contemplated trading the 585's in and just going with the F9 in steel except the 4I in graphite. My hdcp fluctuates from 11-13 w/ a mid 90's driver SS. I know the Cobra are much loved on here but curious if anyone has hit multiple irons on my list. Thanks all

Chasing distance with irons isn’t a great key to success. I’m pretty long and I hit distance irons, not so much for the distance, but for the added forgiveness. I’d keep the Rogue 4i for tee shots and shots where you need the distance, but if you like everything about the 585’s, I’d keep them.

My tune would certainly change if I played more courses in the 7k+ range, but I’d like to have my distances on full Shots with my irons (with the exception of the 4i) to go less. Most courses I play are 6300ish yards. It’s rare to meet a 400+ par 4 on those. Even at 400 if I hit a good drive it’s a wedge of some flavor. At the usual 360ish par 4 I’m taking a lot of less than full swings IF I hit a good drive.

I was hitting my PW on a Sim last winter. I had a lookie Lou watching. I grooved about 5 straight and he asked if it was my 8i. I told him PW and he shook his head like I was lying to him, lol. I grabbed my 4i and told him such, as well as telling him that I’d probably mishit it since I opened my trap. I didn’t mishit it and it went a long ways. He laughed and walked away.

On one hand I’d love to have a 10 yard gapping starting at 100 yards with GW, 110 with PW, etc etc., on the other it would be silly to give up the distance that I have. It can be a great advantage to be hitting PW when others are hitting 8i.

I’m about the same HC level as you are. If you have a set of irons that you like, I’d stick with them. I tried to combine the best of both worlds with my set, but I have over a 20 yard gap between my Epic 6i and my Vapor Speed 7i. Obvious answer is to give up the hybrid and go with 2-6i’s. One from each set. But.... it’s not that simple. The hybrid is my get out of jail club. I can generally get some distance with it from crap lies and I also use it to punch out when needed. So then do I give up a wedge? I have two set wedges, PW and GW. They’re not going anywhere. I hit them a lot and have confidence in each of them. Then I go 52* and 56*. If I had to drop one it would be the 52*, but again it’s not simple.

So I choose to either step on a 7i or back off a 6i if it comes down to it and I’m at that awkward distance. But there are so many factors involved at that distance, wind, altitude, elevation, etc etc etc that I generally just pick the best option of the two and hit.

TL/dr: if you like the 585’s, I’d strongly consider keeping them.

you already have the 4i in the set i was going to recommend: rogue x.

If you are looking for something as a 2nd set and don't want to get rid of the Srixon's, give the D7 irons a hard look.

If you really love the Z585s, I don’t know why you would switch. They are really solid and plenty long compared to others. I think the F9s are awesome, but I don’t know that you would see enough difference to justify them, if you really like the Srixons.

Back