Distance potential - Who is the longest on tour?

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm having a fun little convo with some buddies, and the conversation turned to who has the most distance potential? Fully uncorked, not holding anything back, who is the longest on tour right now?

not sure if that link will work, but i found this interesting. top 5 for the 2020 season were
1- bryson dechambeau
2- cameron champ
3- ryan brehm
4- rory mcilroy
5- grayson murray

personally, i'd say cam champ has the most distance potential if he hits up on it. someone who watched him hit balls on the range said he and foley were working on a positive aoa to maybe put that in play, and his carry was pushing 400. i don't doubt it!

so cam champ gets my vote as the current pga tour cardholder with the most distance potential.

Bryson or Finau in my opinion. Probably lean towards Bryson.

Honestly, quite possibly DJ. Then Champ or Finau.

They should have a long drive contest on Tuesday of the PGA. Been saying it for years. It would be awesome.

Gotta throw Matt Wolff in the mix. I saw that TM promo with the other staffers and he was out driving them all.

I personally think finau has the most potential to increase distance without having to go through extreme measures ala bryson.

I think Finau has the most potential distance. He just doesn’t play it.

What Bryson did was impressive from a gains perspective but I’d be surprised if Finau isn’t able to swing damn near as hard without Brysoning it up.

Tony Finau would be my guess.

I think Finau has the most potential distance. He just doesn’t play it.

What Bryson did was impressive from a gains perspective but I’d be surprised if Finau isn’t able to swing damn near as hard without Brysoning it up.
Finau said he's already gotten close to (or broken, can't remember which) 200 mph ball speed in practice sessions, but he doesn't want to let the leash out on the course because he loses consistency/dispersion.

Champ or Finau IMO

Champ is young and still growing potentially. So I give him a slim edge over Bryson.

Finau said he's already gotten close to (or broken, can't remember which) 200 mph ball speed in practice sessions, but he doesn't want to let the leash out on the course because he loses consistency/dispersion.
He has been over 200 already. 206 I think he didn’t just to slap Bryson. ;)

And yet, I outdrove Finau, both of us making a good, full swing. Sure, he was only 10 or 12 years old, but who needs to know that detail? True story, though...

He's not the longest, but I'm always surprised Gary Woodland never cracked the Top 5.

And yet, I outdrove Finau, both of us making a good, full swing. Sure, he was only 10 or 12 years old, but who needs to know that detail? True story, though...
Sounds about like my one claim to fame - I passed Jeremy McGrath on a motocross track. Sure, he had lapped me about 3 times in the previous 2 laps and was slowing down and unbuckling his helmet to pull into the infield when I passed him - but who needs to know that detail? :LOL:

I would guess Finau if he unloaded on the ball with a full swing.

Thought I saw something a few weeks/months back where Finau actually unleashed a full swing and it was an absolute bomb. I'd give him or Bryson the nod if we're talking all out letting it eat.

Finau if he let's it all out and I don't think it is debatable. He has been pretty outspoken about it as well. In a recent post round interview Amanda B asked him who was longer he or Bryson. Tony responded with if I let it out know one is catching me.

From another thread - Bryson will be going to a 48" driver shaft after the U.S. Open.

If Champ and Finau WANTED to be, they would be. I mean, look where they are without doing the Bryson Brotien shake program.

I gotta go with DJ. He just has so much natural ability and uses his height and the ground so well. I think when he wants to let on go he’ll be the one to beat

I gotta go with DJ. He just has so much natural ability and uses his height and the ground so well. I think when he wants to let on go he’ll be the one to beat
I think DJ 10 years ago I would agree completely. But he’s not exactly a young buck anymore. Finau almost matched Bryson a few weeks ago and honestly didn’t look like he was killing it like Bryson. I would go with Finau or Champ since they are both up there.

The difference is that Bryson can do it in tournament play. I can go out and swing out of my shoes and connect with one every now and then and really launch it. I wouldn’t do it in a tournament or money game though.

I’d have to say Bryson, with Finau as a close second.

Back