Distance potential - Who is the longest on tour?

From another thread - Bryson will be going to a 48" driver shaft after the U.S. Open.

Good. I wondered who I was going to sell my 48” XXX flex 110gr long drive shaft to. Now I know.

He might even want the head too, it’s 3*.

Ain’t doing me any good anymore. Maybe if I go back to the 14 driver bag setup?

Finau if he let's it all out and I don't think it is debatable. He has been pretty outspoken about it as well. In a recent post round interview Amanda B asked him who was longer he or Bryson. Tony responded with if I let it out know one is catching me.
I watched a documentary on Finau and that’s basically what was said. He was crazy long but he had to throttle it back to get better control.

Finau if he let's it all out and I don't think it is debatable. He has been pretty outspoken about it as well. In a recent post round interview Amanda B asked him who was longer he or Bryson. Tony responded with if I let it out know one is catching me.

i saw that social media post (maybe ig?) where he got up to like 206 ball speed. that. is. FIRE.

i saw that social media post (maybe ig?) where he got up to like 206 ball speed. that. is. FIRE.
Look for the documentary about how he came up. Him and his brother were both terrors on the course. It was very interesting.

Champ
Finau
Bryson
DJ

DJ and Champ.

Since we are talking ”potential,” I think that Finau is the man. As @Jman and others have said, he hasn’t even tried to bulk up and his speed is so much more effortless than Bryson’s. He is taller by 3 inches. Height creates more favorable physics. Champ is right there, too.

I think it is Tony Finau. Bryson is probably the next bet.

Editorial comment, though... To me, it is utterly amazing that Rory is even in the group of longest drivers. For his size, he absolutely amazes me.

Since we are talking ”potential,” I think that Finau is the man. As @Jman and others have said, he hasn’t even tried to bulk up and his speed is so much more effortless than Bryson’s. He is taller by 3 inches. Height creates more favorable physics. Champ is right there, too.
Plus, Bryson's swing is built to limit wrist action to be more consistent, but means less speed than having more action. I agree it's Finau and not even close.

Longest and most accurate? Probably Bryson and champ
Tony can get it up there but he suffers accuracy.

Editorial comment, though... To me, it is utterly amazing that Rory is even in the group of longest drivers. For his size, he absolutely amazes me.

it's truly incredible. i can't think of anyone else who get so much out of their driver swing.

I think Finau could move it faster than most any of the guys, but considering how each generates it, the chance they have of controlling their max speed, and the state of tour fairways, I think Champ has the highest distance potential.

Finau is getting older isn't he? The young 22 year old guys can bring it. They're 22.

Finau is getting older isn't he? The young 22 year old guys can bring it. They're 22.

Have an exceptionally long swing and work an overspeed program hard for 6 months.

At 39 I could hit 130 CHS. Couldn’t control it, lost speed due to not working on it, then about croaked a couple times.

Now speed matters little to me but I can still get some. Contact usually sucks, but that’s not speed dependent, lol. At least I’ve got that going for me.

“Swing as hard as you want, it’s going to the same stupid spot that sucks regardless”.

After seeing the video on social media of Finau hitting the ridiculous ball speed, I would say him

What Bryson has done is impressive, but to me it just doesn't look natural or sustainable for the longer term

I think in a pure long drive competition Bryson would destroy the competition. I think he would swing free ... I am not sure anyone else comes close except Finau...

Have an exceptionally long swing and work an overspeed program hard for 6 months.

At 39 I could hit 130 CHS. Couldn’t control it, lost speed due to not working on it, then about croaked a couple times.

Now speed matters little to me but I can still get some. Contact usually sucks, but that’s not speed dependent, lol. At least I’ve got that going for me.

“Swing as hard as you want, it’s going to the same stupid spot that sucks regardless”.
Yeah, some have to work at it a lot. I know these guys all work out now, but the guys with the "long lanky arms build" often can bring it.
Tony, & Bubba was like that early in his career. I agree that Bryson's gains seem "manufactured" and don't think it will last. He'll break. Just like Brooksey is breaking.

Useable distance with current equipment... DJ/Bryson

Overall potential distance with a mile wide fairway - Finau with a full on swing.

someone who watched him hit balls on the range said he and foley were working on a positive aoa to maybe put that in play, and his carry was pushing 400. i don't doubt it!

No offense, but I doubt he was truly pushing carries near 400. Only a few guys on the WLD tour were able to carry a ball out to 400, and those balls were optimally launched with < 3* drivers, 10* launch angles, < 1800 spin, and 225+ ball speed (and before anyone chimes in here, all LD equipment is 100% tested & legal :rolleyes:). I wouldn't be surprised to hear Champ carrying somewhere in the 330-340 area all out swinging as hard as he can, but 400? If he is, I would love to see it!

I personally think Finau would be the longest uncorked. 206 BS that he put up is nothing to scoff at!!

No offense, but I doubt he was truly pushing carries near 400. Only a few guys on the WLD tour were able to carry a ball out to 400, and those balls were optimally launched with < 3* drivers, 10* launch angles, < 1800 spin, and 225+ ball speed (and before anyone chimes in here, all LD equipment is 100% tested & legal :rolleyes:). I wouldn't be surprised to hear Champ carrying somewhere in the 330-340 area all out swinging as hard as he can, but 400? If he is, I would love to see it!

I personally think Finau would be the longest uncorked. 206 BS that he put up is nothing to scoff at!!

it was at a tour stop, with the distance to the back of the range known, while hitting balls on trackman. i wasn’t there, but this person works with cam and was inside the ropes while he and foley were testing a more positive aoa. the guy has insane speed. bryson can carry it 340-350. i’m not saying an extra 50 yards is easy, but possible.

Here is a pretty good article about Finau and Champ.

it was at a tour stop, with the distance to the back of the range known, while hitting balls on trackman. i wasn’t there, but this person works with cam and was inside the ropes while he and foley were testing a more positive aoa. the guy has insane speed. bryson can carry it 340-350. i’m not saying an extra 50 yards is easy, but possible.

I won't argue. While I disagree he can get anywhere near 400y of carry without a serious downwind, I wasn't there so I cannot refute it. Didn't mean to sound attacking in the previous comment. No matter how far he hits it, it is impressive the control they keep at their speeds!!

Not sure, but I think it would come from the following group:

Finau
Champ
DJ
Woodland

Bryson is doing everything he can to top out already, I think the other 4 could alter swing/equipment and add some distance pretty quickly.

I won't argue. While I disagree he can get anywhere near 400y of carry without a serious downwind, I wasn't there so I cannot refute it. Didn't mean to sound attacking in the previous comment. No matter how far he hits it, it is impressive the control they keep at their speeds!!

not attacking at all. i was pretty incredulous too! my instructor also has spent some time with champ. he too says champ has a ton more in the tank, just tries to keep it under control when he's in a tournament.

Back