Distance ratio compare

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
I know it varies per person but I just like to know.
With age my iron distance has been decreasing. My driver distance decreased less than my irons. Just trying to compare what others ratios are. Some research, i should be hitting club longer on my irons but it’s not the case.
Here is my modest yardage I’m hitting at course not in launch monitors.

These are yardages I am comfortable hitting on course.
Comparing my driver distance I should be hitting my iron 5-10 longer. I don’t full bore in my driver or anything else. It just a comfortable natural swing. I probably could muster tad more if I want to but it just doesn’t feel normal.

Driver G400LS: 250-260 total distance. Few times in a round I do have 275+ when I step on it.

M1 4W17* 240 tee. 220 from FW
M1 3H 19* 200 Carry
Apex 4H 23* 190 Carry
5i 24* 175
6i 27* 165
7i 32* 155
8i 36* 140
9i 41* 125
PW 46* 115
CBX 50* 105

5&6 irons are CF16 and rest is Z765
I find that CF16 long iron launch higher and I get similar distance as Z765. Even shorter irons I get same distance as CF16 on course.
I just like to know I should be swinging little harder with my iron. Maybe I’m being too tentative with my iron shots.
Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With age my iron distance has been decreasing. My driver distance decreased less than my irons. Just trying to compare what others ratios are. Some research, i should be hitting club longer on my irons but it’s not the case.

Comparing my driver distance I should be hitting my iron 5-10 longer. I don’t full bore in my driver or anything else. It just a comfortable natural swing. I probably could muster tad more if I want to but it just doesn’t feel normal.

Driver G400LS: 250-260 total distance. Few times in a round I do have 275+ when I step on it.

M1 3H 19* 200 Carry
Apex 4H 23* 190 Carry
5i 24* 175
6i 27* 165
7i 32* 155
8i 36* 140
9i 41* 125
PW 46* 115
CBX 50* 105

I find that CF16 long iron launch higher and I get similar distance as Z765. Even shorter irons I get same distance as CF16 on course.
I just like to know I should be swinging little harder with my iron. Maybe I’m being too tentative with my iron shots.
Your thoughts?

Not sure if this helps but here goes: I live in FL. So my numbers are based on basically sea level and pretty soggy/soft fairways without much roll.

My driver totals are similar to yours (Arccos smart distance 263 yards).

I typically put one or two per round in the 275-285 range.

My irons are 718 AP2 and I hit about 2 clubs longer than the numbers you have listed.

I'm also an inconsistent ball striker---so probably leaving some average yards on the table.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M1 3H 19* 200 Carry
Apex 4H 23* 190 Carry
5i 24* 175
6i 27* 165
7i 32* 155
8i 36* 140
9i 41* 125
PW 46* 115
CBX 50* 105

Your thoughts?

FWIW We're pretty close top of the bag but different at the bottom.
8--145
9--135
pw-125
aw--105
I've got 565's.

from arccos this year. driver is f8 10.5 with thce16 shaft. f8 3w with 2kxnv blue 70s. f8 4h smacwrap 780 es f4. king forged tec black 5-gw modus 105s. king black 52v/56c/60c stock dg s200.

d: 253
fw: 244 tee / 221 deck
4h: 205 tee / 203 deck
5i: 214 tee / 202 deck
6i: 190
7i: 173
8i: 163
9i: 147
pw: 137
gw: 125
52: 110
56: 102
60: 71

I'm kind of the opposite. My driver distance is terrible and based on what I hit my other clubs, something just isn't right with that club in my hands.

Man. I need to hit my irons harder.
As far as remember when i began golf in 90’s. I can always out drive my buddies but irons are always similar. Never gave a thought since I usually hit pretty straight and high.
I still hit high enough but lacking distance compare to my driver.

from arccos this year. driver is f8 10.5 with thce16 shaft. f8 3w with 2kxnv blue 70s. f8 4h smacwrap 780 es f4. king forged tec black 5-gw modus 105s. king black 52v/56c/60c stock dg s200.

Jesus those are some big iron numbers. I need to learn how to swing a club.

Surprised you just don't try a 3 and/or 4 iron. With those 5 iron numbers, can't see you hitting hybrid very often.

M1 3H 19* 200 Carry
Apex 4H 23* 190 Carry
5i 24* 175
6i 27* 165
7i 32* 155
8i 36* 140
9i 41* 125
PW 46* 115
CBX 50* 105

Your thoughts?

What's wrong with those numbers? Your gaps look fine, enjoy the game and play to score.

Jesus those are some big iron numbers. I need to learn how to swing a club.

step 1- don't work out
step 2- get a wine belly. not sure whether a beer belly will work.
step 3- buy king forged tec black irons.
step 4- thank me.

Surprised you just don't try a 3 and/or 4 iron. With those 5 iron numbers, can't see you hitting hybrid very often.

biggest difference is consistency off the deck. the 5i is a weapon off the tee (i have registered several shots over 230y with the 5i in central florida conditions), but off the deck my contact and consistency of distance really suffers. but when you look at the 4h numbers, the distance off the tee is within a few yards of the distance off the deck. that gives me the confidence to hit the 4h when i need to carry something, or i'm in a squirrelly lie.

i admit the gapping is odd, and i'm not even sure i would say i'm comfortable with the bag the way it is. but it does serve a purpose. ...kind of.

What's wrong with those numbers? Your gaps look fine, enjoy the game and play to score.

I really am not complaining.
I was just wondering if I am too tentative with my irons. Maybe playing too safe. It would be nice if I can gain 5-10 per club. My 8i was 150yd club in 2016 now it’s 145. I could feel it when I’m out there playing. It looks weaker; less penetrating. But driver looks and feels same.

biggest difference is consistency off the deck. the 5i is a weapon off the tee (i have registered several shots over 230y with the 5i in central florida conditions), but off the deck my contact and consistency of distance really suffers. but when you look at the 4h numbers, the distance off the tee is within a few yards of the distance off the deck. that gives me the confidence to hit the 4h when i need to carry something, or i'm in a squirrelly lie.

i admit the gapping is odd, and i'm not even sure i would say i'm comfortable with the bag the way it is. but it does serve a purpose. ...kind of.

Gotcha. So, looking at your club distances, would you expect more from your driver? This is where I'm at. I can hit my 4H 220ish, 3W 240ish and the driver only marginally better most of the time.

Gotcha. So, looking at your club distances, would you expect more from your driver? This is where I'm at. I can hit my 4H 220ish, 3W 240ish and the driver only marginally better most of the time.

My playing buddy is in similar. He hit his 3wd further than his driver.
He cannot get the driver airborne. He even tried 13* loft and still cannot hit it high enough. But he can murder his 3wd.

I used to be very long with driver, woods and hybrids relative to irons. My iron distances were in the ballpark of my playing partners but I was 20-30 yards longer with driver and respectively so with woods and hybrids.

Now I can crush my irons but I'm 15-20 yards shorter than my one buddy with driver. That's across many different drivers and shafts. His distances have remained steady. Yet I'm 15 or more yards longer than him now with irons. Also across a few different sets of irons, his/mine.

Weird.

My playing buddy is in similar. He hit his 3wd further than his driver.
He cannot get the driver airborne. He even tried 13* loft and still cannot hit it high enough. But he can murder his 3wd.

It's got to be mental thing? My swing just feels all tied up in knots with the driver.

It's got to be mental thing? My swing just feels all tied up in knots with the driver.

Could be. He still carry his driver but he seldom use it. I’m total opposite of him. I love hitting driver. I hate fairway woods.
It has to be a mental thing. Every freaking bad thing comes to my mind when I pick up my wood.
When I pick up my driver all I see is blue sky and I aim for the cloud. Don’t even look at the fairway sometimes.

yes, i expect quite a bit more from my driver. with ss of 105, my total distance is only about 10-20y farther than the CARRY should be according to some charts i've seen. i think i'm giving up about 20-30y right now. i'm hoping the driver i just purchased will unlock more distance for me without sacrificing consistency. we'll see.

yes, i expect quite a bit more from my driver. with ss of 105, my total distance is only about 10-20y farther than the CARRY should be according to some charts i've seen. i think i'm giving up about 20-30y right now. i'm hoping the driver i just purchased will unlock more distance for me without sacrificing consistency. we'll see.
Think your swing is different with driver in hand...Indian not the arrow?

To the OP: I would have someone take a look at your swing if you are concerned. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned with those distances, they are very playable on most courses. But I watched a fitting video recently where the fitter had an interesting observation. He said that he will see people come in and they are either better with the longer clubs or the shorter clubs, it's very rare (outside of pros) for him to see someone that is good at both. He elaborated: if you are shallow, you probably do well with the longer clubs but can struggle to compress the shorter clubs. If you are steep, you can hit your shorter irons a long way but then don't have enough dynamic loft to hit the longer clubs high enough to get the proper distance.

Put another way: my dad is 75, and he always has a little flip in his swing. For his age, he can still hit a driver and fairway wood really well because a neutral or upward angle of attack isn't going to hurt him with those clubs, and with that approach he doesn't put a ton of spin on it so his distances are good. But put a 9 iron or wedge in his hands and the ball doesn't go very far because he struggles with forward shaft lean on those clubs. I'm the opposite, I can knock the crap out of my irons but I struggle to show the same type of distance (comparatively) with driver.

I believe it’s 25% arrow.

To the OP: I would have someone take a look at your swing if you are concerned. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned with those distances, they are very playable on most courses. But I watched a fitting video recently where the fitter had an interesting observation. He said that he will see people come in and they are either better with the longer clubs or the shorter clubs, it's very rare (outside of pros) for him to see someone that is good at both. He elaborated: if you are shallow, you probably do well with the longer clubs but can struggle to compress the shorter clubs. If you are steep, you can hit your shorter irons a long way but then don't have enough dynamic loft to hit the longer clubs high enough to get the proper distance.

Put another way: my dad is 75, and he always has a little flip in his swing. For his age, he can still hit a driver and fairway wood really well because a neutral or upward angle of attack isn't going to hurt him with those clubs, and with that approach he doesn't put a ton of spin on it so his distances are good. But put a 9 iron or wedge in his hands and the ball doesn't go very far because he struggles with forward shaft lean on those clubs. I'm the opposite, I can knock the crap out of my irons but I struggle to show the same type of distance (comparatively) with driver.

I totally agree with your observations. I do have little flip on my swing and I am working on them. Hopefully I am on right track.
Taking divot is hardest thing for me and i know it’s an issue for lacking distance in iron shots. I am working on it.

normally i would say absolutely. and i have always been someone who hit his irons disproportionately farther on the "expected scale" than woods. but with respect to my current driver, i can't argue with side-by-side results. today i did some testing of my gamer against another club i had built. to my eye, i was hitting the new club farther, and more consistently. so i think there are times it can be the arrow that not fitting the indian.

My Mizuno MP69 7 iron was my 169 club
My Titleist 718 AP2 7 iron was my 171 club
My Srixon z745 7 iron was my 178 club
My Cobra Forged TEC Black 7 iron was my 185 club

My gapping is 11/12 yards between clubs on all sets (I bend them to gap that way).

Think my driver is 275 in the wet area we play, more if it actually rolls.

M1 3H 19* 200 Carry
Apex 4H 23* 190 Carry
5i 24* 175
6i 27* 165
7i 32* 155
8i 36* 140
9i 41* 125
PW 46* 115
CBX 50* 105

Your thoughts?

I believe the numbers you posted are near some regular Tour player carry distances and longer than some Champions Tour players are striking their clubs. That is at sea level, flat terrain courses such as Brookside in Los Angeles or Torrey Pines, La Jolla.
I would be satisfied with your carry yardages, which are more than enough to shoot under par golf.
If you want to strike your 7 iron, 5 iron etc...longer than you do, another option is to buy a set of distance irons with jacked up lofts.

Back