Distances From Tees...

HA! I just played a par 3 yesterday that was 231 yards! Was a nice easy 5-wood for me, down the hill slightly so it played a little shorter but not much.

PAR 3's ... anything over 225 (basically any hole I have to bring out a wood on.) I feel you should never design a par 3 that is so long that most of us have to hit a fairway metal or even driver to get there. Now the under 150 par 3's I love! Had one 138 yards yesterday ... another downwind ... PW to a foot and half. Guys in my group that it was going to go in. Glad it didn't ... I didn't have any cash left to pay for drinks.

PAR 4's .... anything over 450 I get a little antsy on the tee box thinking I have to crush one in order to get far enough for an easier approach. Which usually never ends up well.

If I play 6400 or less I would never need a driver. And it was the same way when I was a 13. HC doesn't correlate to distance.

I watch a lot of golf. I have a hard time believing this. You would used your driver on Par 5's and most Par 4's whether you believe it or not. You saying this is your ego speaking. HC usually correlates to distance or accuracy.

I watch a lot of golf. I have a hard time believing this. You would used your driver on Par 5's and most Par 4's whether you believe it or not. HC usually correlates to distance or accuracy.

I said need, not would I use it or not. Of course I would use my driver on par 5's, but I wouldn't need to. And no, if I don't need it on par 4's I rarely pull driver. Not sure what I'm supposed to believe or not? I know myself and know my game. But thanks for telling me what I would do. Apparently you know me better than I do.

I said need, not would I use it or not. Of course I would use my driver on par 5's, but I wouldn't need to. And no, if I don't need it on par 4's I rarely pull driver. Not sure what I'm supposed to believe or not? I know myself and know my game. But thanks for telling me what I would do. Apparently you know me better than I do.

No one needs to use a Driver on Par 5's. Touring Pro's don't need Drivers on Par 4's. You very rarely see Stenson hit Driver.

You are like most male golfers and your ego gets in your way.

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/tee-it-forward-weekend

In truth, most golfers would probably continue to play golf if they did not TEE IT FORWARD. But the numbers and the testimonials are definitive that most golfers would play more and enjoy golf more if gave this option a try. And really, that's all the golf world is asking - just give it a try.

I find that for the most part I shoot similar scores whether I play from 6000, 6400, or 6700 yards. Im not sure what that says about my game but teeing it forward by no means makes golf easy.

I've seen courses/tournaments/mini tours dictate tee selection based on handicap quite often but never based on driving distance. Just an observation.

Your distance has nothing to do with it. A person that drives the ball 250 and straight can play from wherever he wants. A person who is all over the place needs to Tee It Forward.
So they can spray it all over but closer to the hole?

I play everything from 5500 to 7100 yards at my home course. I make sure to play all five tees during the season. It's a good time. I do agree that in general, people need to tee it forward more. But I also strongly believe that people need to enjoy the game their own way. If that means swinging for a 450 yard drive on every hole, have fun.

Do you know me? Have you seen me play? That's a pretty bold accusation.

I do not need to know you. You have summed it up by getting defensive. That really tells me all I need to know. You responded to my post. It is very possible that you are in that 5% that can play from 6400+. Congratulations. That doesn't mean you should. I can go to McDonald's and eat 4 Big Macs in one sitting, that doesn't mean I should. The rest of my day would be crappy, literally.

The PGA recommends this:
[h=2]TEE IT FORWARD[/h]

This chart is a guideline to help golfers align their average driving distance with the course length best suited to their abilities.

Driver Distance
Recommended 18-Hole Yardages
6,700-6,900
6,200-6,400
5,800-6,000
5,200-5,400
4,400-4,600
3,500-3,700
2,800-3,000
2,100-2,300

The problem with just using distance as a rule of thumb is that it never takes into account driving accuracy. I hit the ball 300 yards. The problem is that I do not know where it is going. If I play from 6900 yards it will be miserable.

The other problem you have is with the Weekend Municipal Hacker. These guys think they hit it 300, but don't break 200. These are the guys that play from the tips and take 6 hours to play a round.

No one has ever said that every Par 4 and Par 5 were meant to be used with a driver off the tee box.

I do not need to know you. You have summed it up by getting defensive. That really tells me all I need to know. You responded to my post. It is very possible that you are in that 5% that can play from 6400+. Congratulations. That doesn't mean you should. I can go to McDonald's and eat 4 Big Macs in one sitting, that doesn't mean I should. The rest of my day would be crappy, literally.

Right. Say what you want but I pull FW's and irons more than most during a round in place of using driver. Playing smart was one of the biggest things that got me from a 13 to an 8 last year. Defending myself and having an ego aren't related either.

You aren't wrong that most golfers don't play the right tees, but your mindset of why is way off.

So they can spray it all over but closer to the hole?

I play everything from 5500 to 7100 yards at my home course. I make sure to play all five tees during the season. It's a good time. I do agree that in general, people need to tee it forward more. But I also strongly believe that people need to enjoy the game their own way. If that means swinging for a 450 yard drive on every hole, have fun.

I can agree with this, but not to a point where it is detrimental to slow play for everyone else on the course.

Golf has it's share of issues. People playing from the wrong set of tees is a huge issue when it comes to slow play. It is faster if your mistakes are made closer to the green. The majority of golfers shouldn't be playing from more than 6,000 yards is all I am saying.

The National Golf Foundation says that only 55% of all golfers break 100. Only 26% ever break 90 and only 5% ever break 80. The inherit problem is that it is assuming every golfer follows the rules of golf (no mulligans or foot wedges).

I think the percentage breaking 100 is much lower. I heard on the golf channel a couple of years ago that only 20% of golfers ever break 100, less than 2% ever break 80 and less than 1% have never broken par.

Last edited:
You aren't wrong that most golfers don't play the right tees, but your mindset of why is way off.

LOL... My mindset is off? Not quite. It is exactly right and not enough people will say what I am saying. Again, you are being defensive. I wasn't directly talking to you when I posted.

I should have played from the ladies tee today, would have at least had a fighting chance to break par.

I should have played from the ladies tee today, would have at least had a fighting chance to break par.

When growing up, Tiger Woods father would make him play from the forward tees once a week. The reason why was to learn how to score. If you can't shoot under par from the forward tees, you can't shoot under par from the back tees.

Last year when I had a season pass I would play 9 a week from the ladies, was pretty easy to shoot under par but they were really short.

Last year when I had a season pass I would play 9 a week from the ladies, was pretty easy to shoot under par but they were really short.

It honestly doesn't matter how short.

Many people will never shoot under 100 because they don't know what it is like to shoot under under 100. They may get close and it take several months to get there because they get nervous. Move up and play the forward tees and learn how to shoot under 100. Move up tees and learn how to shoot under 90, same thing for 80 and same thing for 72.

If you mentally know you can shoot under par from the forwards, it is easier to shoot par from the backs. Let's face it, you being a 5 handicap it isn't tee to green stopping you from being better. It is 100 yards in that is stopping you from improving. If you practice from the forward tees you are going to be consistently practicing from 100 yards in on the course. It is that practice and developing confidence that teach you how to score. Let's face it, you have to learn how to score to be able to score. If you don't get there then you never have a chance to score.

I watch more golf than I play. You are 100% mislead. You saying this is your ego speaking.

You will use your driver on Par 5's and Par 4's, no matter what you think. You will also use your 3 woods and Irons from the tee box. Do you think PGA and LPGA use there drivers every par 4 and par 5?

You are lost here. Where in my post did I ever say I use my driver on all holes? In fact I don't use it on all holes because often enough times at 6450 I will depending on layout use anything from 3 wood to 3 or 4 hybrid or whatever because I am long enough to do it. I am 51 years old and while I was never one to act on ego I could give to hoots about ego at all at this point in my life. I got nothing to prove or show off to anyone anywhere. I wont pull my driver on a 380 yrd dogleg where if I were to hit a good one and don't turn it around the corner I will end up in the farside woods. I wont pull driver on a short par 4 where I could use a 4iron or whatever and get myself to a nice mid/short iron for an approach from the fairway (hopefully). I don't go fro par5's in two just because I hit a good drive. I will use my driver from as little as 8 times to possible 12 times depending which course and conditions and wind and layout. I don't have to because while I am a 15 cap I am long enough at 6450 to not have to use my driver on a number of holes and still be able to put myself in good approach position via some shorter clubs. You are lost about this whole topic and your assumptions of me are way off. I don't even know what your trying to say with this last post.

I watch a lot of golf. I have a hard time believing this. You would used your driver on Par 5's and most Par 4's whether you believe it or not. You saying this is your ego speaking. HC usually correlates to distance or accuracy.
At my course (7300 from the tips which I frequent) I hit driver on 2 of the 4 par 5s, maybe 7 times most during the round
It honestly doesn't matter how short.

Many people will never shoot under 100 because they don't know what it is like to shoot under under 100. They may get close and it take several months to get there because they get nervous. Move up and play the forward tees and learn how to shoot under 100. Move up tees and learn how to shoot under 90, same thing for 80 and same thing for 72.

If you mentally know you can shoot under par from the forwards, it is easier to shoot par from the backs. Let's face it, you being a 5 handicap it isn't tee to green stopping you from being better. It is 100 yards in that is stopping you from improving. If you practice from the forward tees you are going to be consistently practicing from 100 yards in on the course. It is that practice and developing confidence that teach you how to score. Let's face it, you have to learn how to score to be able to score. If you don't get there then you never have a chance to score.
I do understand the perspective in this statement. A good mixture of yardage and ratings is good for the game I think. I definitely plan on mixing it up this year

The PGA recommends this:
TEE IT FORWARD

Driver DistanceRecommended 18-Hole Yardages
2756,700-6,900
2506,200-6,400
2255,800-6,000
2005,200-5,400
1754,400-4,600
1503,500-3,700
1252,800-3,000
1002,100-2,300

The problem with just using distance as a rule of thumb is that it never takes into account driving accuracy. I hit the ball 300 yards. The problem is that I do not know where it is going. If I play from 6900 yards it will be miserable.

The other problem you have is with the Weekend Municipal Hacker. These guys think they hit it 300, but don't break 200. These are the guys that play from the tips and take 6 hours to play a round.

No one has ever said that every Par 4 and Par 5 were meant to be used with a driver off the tee box.

This chart is a joke because they equate distance to ability. According to this chart I should never play a course above 6000yds but most rounds that make my hcp are on courses 6300-6600 yds. I'm also willing to bet you would be hard pressed to find a group of people who have played with me that think I should be always playing below 6000. This is the debate that has no right answer though. Ability and distance just aren't measurements that can be taken together. On top of that you throw in course layout that means so much as well. I play tees based on how the holes are laid out.

The PGA recommends this:
[h=2]TEE IT FORWARD[/h]

This chart is a guideline to help golfers align their average driving distance with the course length best suited to their abilities.

Driver Distance
Recommended 18-Hole Yardages
6,700-6,900
6,200-6,400
5,800-6,000
5,200-5,400
4,400-4,600
3,500-3,700
2,800-3,000
2,100-2,300

That chart is a joke. Really. Maybe it needs to be like a flow chart or something. If you ask the weekend muni guy what he drives the ball, or even 75% of golfers in general, they'd still be playing the wrong tees based on their answer. I'm in the top segment here and am more comfortable around 6500. You can't paint such a broad brush on these things and expect it to work.
LOL... My mindset is off? Not quite. It is exactly right and not enough people will say what I am saying. Again, you are being defensive. I wasn't directly talking to you when I posted.
I'm sorry, but I gotta stick up for cbaker here. The second you said "you are like most male golfers and your ego gets in the way." Seems like you posted it directly at him since you quoted him.

And it's ironic in all this. A guys handicap is listed at 16 (not sure if updated), says he hits the ball 300 yards (again, don't know if accurate, yet says anyone over a 10 has no business playing longer than 6000.

Sorry, but that's one BIG contradiction for someone saying everyone else is wrong. But I'm not talking directly to you.

This chart is a joke because they equate distance to ability. According to this chart I should never play a course above 6000yds but most rounds that make my hcp are on courses 6300-6600 yds. I'm also willing to bet you would be hard pressed to find a group of people who have played with me that think I should be always playing below 6000. This is the debate that has no right answer though. Ability and distance just aren't measurements that can be taken together. On top of that you throw in course layout that means so much as well. I play tees based on how the holes are laid out.

you should def be playing 6k yards during shamble :alien:

Rory should be playing from 9k yards and Kirk from 7200 for this to be fair.

That chart is a joke. Really. Maybe it needs to be like a flow chart or something. If you ask the weekend muni guy what he drives the ball, or even 75% of golfers in general, they'd still be playing the wrong tees based on their answer. I'm in the top segment here and am more comfortable around 6500. You can't paint such a broad brush on these things and expect it to work.

I'm sorry, but I gotta stick up for cbaker here. The second you said "you are like most male golfers and your ego gets in the way." Seems like you posted it directly at him since you quoted him.

And it's ironic in all this. A guys handicap is listed at 16 (not sure if updated), says he hits the ball 300 yards (again, don't know if accurate, yet says anyone over a 10 has no business playing longer than 6000.

Sorry, but that's one BIG contradiction for someone saying everyone else is wrong. But I'm not talking directly to you.

You and others can say whatever you feel. Doesn't make me mad or upset because some people will never change their mindset. Ego and the thinking of a Dinosaur get in the way.

The bottom line is that I KNOW I AM RIGHT. You can argue, get pissed, call me what you want. I simply do not care.

I was being sarcastic saying I hit the ball 300 yards. Maybe I should phrase it better. I can make the ball travel 300 yards. The problem is 150 of the yards go to the right when I slice it. So that really isn't hitting it 300 yards. Guess you missed the sarcasm.

Last edited:
Golf has it's share of issues. People playing from the wrong set of tees is a huge issue when it comes to slow play.

While longer tees (and also poorer play) can slow ones playing time, they are about the most over rated reasons for slower than acceptable rounds and carry the biggest misguided logic about the subject that there is. Truth is, of all the reasons for not keeping respectable pace they are about the least detrimental of them all. Slow play is very often caused by good players just as much and sometimes worse than poorer ones and the biggest slow play reason of them all is many peoples playing practices on and around the greens. There is also (displayed by too many people) a general lack of any urgency or concern at all to do whatever they need to do from tee through green in a respectable time efficient manor. Just too many taking far too much time at the greens and a whole bunch others taking too much time moving along tee-to-green. They are just too slow at all of it regardless how good or poorly they play or from which tees. Those who care, and play with the understanding of pace will do so efficiently no matter if playing good or poorly and no matter from which tees. One does not have to play forward tees nor play well in order to play in a respectable time frame at all. They may play a little slower than they would otherwise but that still doesn't at all mean they will fall outside a respectable pace and can still in fact play well within it. A damaging slow pace is caused by people who are too slow period. And they will be too slow no matter how they play and no matter where from.

You and others can say whatever you feel. Doesn't make me mad or upset because some people will never change their mindset. Ego and the thinking of a Dinosaur get in the way.

The bottom line is that I KNOW I AM RIGHT. You can argue, get pissed, call me what you want. I simply do not care.

I was being sarcastic saying I hit the ball 300 yards. Maybe I should phrase it better. I can make the ball travel 300 yards. The problem is 150 of the yards go to the right when I slice it. So that really isn't hitting it 300 yards. Guess you missed the sarcasm.

So, you have the only possible answer, and anyone who doesn't agree can go suck eggs? Just gotta love it. :banghead:

Was the "I know I am right" part sarcasm too? Maybe I missed that one too :alien:

Glad you have a passionate opinion about it, maybe you should get a position of power and institute your opinion somewhere.

Back