Distances From Tees...

~6500 yds is pretty comfortable to me. I'm not really having fun with 450 yd par 4's and 200+ par 3's. Distance is not the only thing I consider about a course, however, because I have played quite a few courses up north (northern WI, and UP) that are really narrow and penal--I'm not really having fun when every errant drive equals a lost ball either.

~6500 yds is pretty comfortable to me. I'm not really having fun with 450 yd par 4's and 200+ par 3's. Distance is not the only thing I consider about a course, however, because I have played quite a few courses up north (northern WI, and UP) that are really narrow and penal--I'm not really having fun when every errant drive equals a lost ball either.

I tend to agree. However, we cant be errant and expect to still be playable and/or not suffer some penal outcomes. One the course (my old neighborhood years back) had a tight course but was shorter so the driver only came out on a few holes and of course the par5's. Teeing with a long iron, 5w, whatever was common place for me. Sure most would still pull driver and then cry when in the woods and I'd be like why driver? Just lay up, the hoe isn't that long. Anyway yes if both tight and long? well... I may as well stay home..lol... you cant expect most amateurs/weekend warriors to hit both long and straight all day.

Big thing for me is off the tee. If I'm driving well and getting good distance then 6,700/6,800 is the long course and I can get around, I've played 7000 once or twice and it's not fun.

6,600 is usually my tops. Any Par 4 over 450 can be tough for me to get on in two and thats going for it with hybrid or FWY.

Par 3s over 215 are too much, I shouldn't have to hit heavenwood or fwy into a green on a par 3.

pars i dunno 575 could be too long that would be driver hybrid/long iron to GW distance if all of those are perfect.

I'm a fairly long hitter, so even 7000 plus yard courses don't freak me out. My comfort zone though is around 6500 to 6800 yards if I'm being honest. If I Par 4 is under 450 from the tips, it's all good. I've played a few Par 4's that were almost 500 yards and that's a LONG Par 4 that even I start to shake my head at. ha Par 3's are Par 3's. I usually have a club that will reach the green with a good shot.

people atarting to talk of over 450 yrd par4's and to be honest a 7000 yard course doesn't even have to have any. My home course is 7049 tips and from their tips (which I don't play from) ony has one (1) over 450 and sits at 458. In fact only 5 par4's in total are over 400. The next shortest is at 441 and only 3 more of which are not close to those.

Depending on layout a 7000 yrd course is doable even if hitting 230's and 40's. Of course you have to be on your driver game to do so but its not the worst thing. I don't care for it because im not always on my driver game. But none the less 7000 yrds isn't always the death many make it out to be. It all depends on course layout and configuration. 7000 can be very misleading. But conversely so can shorter courses at 6100. Again its about layout, amount of doglegs, amount of par5's and par3's and also an oddball hole or two. Point is that total yardage is not always telling as it seems and that can be in either direction. But 450 par4's from my experience and where I hve played are not often found just because the total yardage is 7000ish.

I enjoy playing anything from 6000-6500. I don't think I've even tried something longer. I don't hit the ball very far yet, and I don't like hitting hybrid or 3 wood into every par 4 green. I also am not really comfortable with par 3's over 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Lake Golf Course, one of the mountain courses here in Colorado is quite short, just 6500 yards from the tips, and at 8000 feet above sea level, that's pretty short. I've only played the course one time, and that was 30 years ago, but I remember it quite well. I found out quickly on the first hole that driver was inadvisable. I lost a ball on that hole, and never pulled the driver out again. I was hitting as little as a 6 iron on some par 4 tees.

I don't remember what I shot, but it was the first course I ever played where I was forced to think about club selection on every tee shot. I think it was my first serious introduction to the theory of course management. I do remember that it was a lot of fun, and I keep meaning to get back there again. Maybe this summer when my brother comes down from Idaho to visit. :golf2:

I usually like to play the tips. Here in Colorado it's usually around 6800 to 7300 at the extreme end. I like to have different approach shots during the round. Something more than a wedge on half of the par 4s I think. The holes I have a problem with is long holes with forced layups off the tee.

Laying up...what is this nonsense you speak of? Kidding of course not and I'm looking forward to playing in the flat lands next month.

I'll play what ever, it still takes quality golf shots from any set of tees.

Depends on the time of year as well. Zero chance I play at 7k in Ohio right now where I occasionally spin my driver backwards a few feet or at most get 5 yards then even 6800 is pretty long. Come summer time with 30 yard roll out on every drive then 6800 isn't even remotely long.

I'll play what ever, it still takes quality golf shots from any set of tees.

Yea I hear ya. Its like when standing at a given shot deciding which club to use and then you chunk it, slice it, dice it, flop it, whatever it didn't matter if you used a putter or a driver....lol we still always have to execute don't we.

This thread is funny. If you are above a 10, you honestly have no reason to be playing no more than 6000 yards. The game is meant to be fun and there is no way it is fun playing from 6000+ yards and never having a chance to break 80.

Look at it like this. LPGA golfers are better than 99.9% of the men posting in this thread. They are playing 6200 - 6700 yards. They will beat everyone of you. Just about every man in this thread is talking about playing from those distances. It makes no sense.

Top Notch Junior Female Golfers are better than 95% of you. They are playing from 5800-6300 yards. None of you are talking about playing from these distances and this is where you should be playing from.

I watch men at the course I live at play everyday. They are just like you guys in this thread. They play from the blues which are 6400 yards and 95% of them can't play from there. I live on a par 4 that is 425 yards from the blue. 95% of the guys don't even get inside of 200 yards on that hole. If you have to go driver 3 wood to hit a Par 4 green then you shouldn't be playing from those tees. They then play the Club Championship from the tips which really makes no sense.

This thread is funny. If you are above a 10, you honestly have no reason to be playing no more than 6000 yards. The game is meant to be fun and there is no way it is fun playing from 6000+ yards and never having a chance to break 80.

Look at it like this. LPGA golfers are better than 99.9% of the men posting in this thread. They are playing 6200 - 6700 yards. They will beat everyone of you. Just about every man in this thread is talking about playing from those distances. It makes no sense.

Top Notch Junior Female Golfers are better than 95% of you. They are playing from 5800-6300 yards. None of you are talking about playing from these distances and this is where you should be playing from.

I watch men at the course I live at play everyday. They are just like you guys in this thread. They play from the blues which are 6400 yards and 95% of them can't play from there. I live on a par 4 that is 425 yards from the blue. 95% of the guys don't even get inside of 200 yards on that hole. If you have to go driver 3 wood to hit a Par 4 green then you shouldn't be playing from those tees. They then play the Club Championship from the tips which really makes no sense.

I disagree 100% and feel you couldn't be more wrong. Firstly, who is ever to say everyone above a 10 cap cannot hit the ball far enough? I know 20 cappers who can outdrive most people. And who is also to say that any mid/higher capper isn't a lower capper because of their distances? It could very well be the mid iron and/or also their short game that is the biggest reasons they are not better.

I am currently at 15ish cap and been everywhere from 12 to 18 over the past couple years. if I play 6000 yrds I wouldn't even get to use my driver except on probably only the par5's and none but a few par4's. I can tell you right now if one can hit the ball 240's with their average good tee shot they can play a 7000 yrd course and not be at all too far for very many approach shots.

Course yardage is also very misguided because it all depends on layout, the amount of par3's par5's. oddball sized holes, doglegs, etc, etc. In general there doesn't have to be a whole ton of par4 holes too much above 400 on a 7000yrd course and of those that are, there are even fewer significantly over. Play a 400 yrd hole and hit even 225 and 175 left over is not imo much too far for fun. A 7 iron approach for me and my 15 cap and that's only because after the 225 wasn't one of my better drives. And that's on a 7000 yrd course.

I play my county courses (all 4 are 7000ish) and while I play from a set in at about 6450 I have played them all from the 7000 and as long as my driving is having a better day I have no trouble being too far from most greens for an attempted approach. I don't care for it because I am not that consistent with any parts of my game and is why I play up one set at about 6400 to 6450. But to say there is no fun or no reason to play over 6000 is imo ridiculous regardless what I score. You are way off with your logic on this imo. Tee yardages of choice are far more about capable distances and only a little about handicap. By your logic a 26 capper should then only ever play an executive course.

And besides all of this, how does anyone know how another has fun. It gets boring to me if iam having a good tee day and playing a short course. I don't want a wedge into most greens and also not using my driver a decent percentage of times. I want a good mix of shorter mid and longer approaches. I think your way off with your beliefs.

Does handicap reflect shot distance? Are people above a -10 short hitters?

Shooting under par is always fun even if it came from every approach shot being with a wedge.

If I play 6400 or less I would never need a driver. And it was the same way when I was a 13. HC doesn't correlate to distance.

If I play 6400 or less I would never need a driver. And it was the same way when I was a 13. HC doesn't correlate to distance.

Agreed 10000%. Handicap shouldn't equate to the tees you play. I hit the ball a decent length and from 6000 yards I would be teeing off with less then driver every hole

Agreed 10000%. Handicap shouldn't equate to the tees you play. I hit the ball a decent length and from 6000 yards I would be teeing off with less then driver every hole
It's such an antiquated way of thinking.

I am in the in between camp on this part of the topic. If someone who hits it a mile and wants to play 6500 instead of 6100 it makes no difference to me. That said I think there is a lot of merit to learning how to go low so maybe some people should play the shorter tees until they break par from them. Depends on a ton of factors though. If a 10-15 cap longer hitter is playing 7000 yards on a course with a 125 slope I have zero issue with it. If the slope is like 145 then you probably shouldn't be playing that far back.

Shooting under par is always fun even if it came from every approach shot being with a wedge.

One can go to a par3 course and shoot under par too, can birdie a par5 that may have the tees moved way forward too, but its all really besides the point I was getting at.

I am in the in between camp on this part of the topic. If someone who hits it a mile and wants to play 6500 instead of 6100 it makes no difference to me. That said I think there is a lot of merit to learning how to go low so maybe some people should play the shorter tees until they break par from them. Depends on a ton of factors though. If a 10-15 cap longer hitter is playing 7000 yards on a course with a 125 slope I have zero issue with it. If the slope is like 145 then you probably shouldn't be playing that far back.

This is sort of why I don't play my 7000tips but do play the 6450's. However the part I disagree with is the suggestion to play forward till you break par. That's not really a practical suggestion imo.

I enjoy making bogey, par and the occasional birdie, I'm not a long hitter so usually play from trees around 6000-6300. suits me just fine and I have fun! A very famous golfer when asked about tee box selection replied something to the effect that if you have a 7 iron in on the average par 4 then your playing from the right tee box.

A lot depends on where a person plays most of his golf. I've played for most of my 40 years in Colorado, at 5000 feet above sea level and higher. In my prime I could play a 7000 yard course for no more than a couple of strokes above my typical 10-12 handicap. Yet I played with golfers who were actually better players than I was - who had beautiful swings and never got in trouble - who couldn't compete on a course that long. Guys who were in their mid 70's with a beautiful swing, but could only hit the driver 200 yards. I was comfortable on a longer course while they would struggle to break 90.

Handicap is only part of the equation. Length, and the ability to control that length, makes a big difference in choosing the correct tees for your game, as does the ability to play efficiently and a good pace even when you may be a bit challenged for length.

At this stage in my life I would never consider playing at 7000 yards. I prefer to put my limit at 6400. But I am not uncomfortable at that length even now, and for someone to tell me that I have no business there, I tell him that he doesn't know me or anything about me, and to keep his judgement to himself until he does.

I disagree 100% and feel you couldn't be more wrong. Firstly, who is ever to say everyone above a 10 cap cannot hit the ball far enough? I know 20 cappers who can outdrive most people. And who is also to say that any mid/higher capper isn't a lower capper because of their distances? It could very well be the mid iron and/or also their short game that is the biggest reasons they are not better.

I am currently at 15ish cap and been everywhere from 12 to 18 over the past couple years. if I play 6000 yrds I wouldn't even get to use my driver except on probably only the par5's and none but a few par4's. I can tell you right now if one can hit the ball 240's with their average good tee shot they can play a 7000 yrd course and not be at all too far for very many approach shots.

Course yardage is also very misguided because it all depends on layout, the amount of par3's par5's. oddball sized holes, doglegs, etc, etc. In general there doesn't have to be a whole ton of par4 holes too much above 400 on a 7000yrd course and of those that are, there are even fewer significantly over. Play a 400 yrd hole and hit even 225 and 175 left over is not imo much too far for fun. A 7 iron approach for me and my 15 cap and that's only because after the 225 wasn't one of my better drives. And that's on a 7000 yrd course.

I play my county courses (all 4 are 7000ish) and while I play from a set in at about 6450 I have played them all from the 7000 and as long as my driving is having a better day I have no trouble being too far from most greens for an attempted approach. I don't care for it because I am not that consistent with any parts of my game and is why I play up one set at about 6400 to 6450. But to say there is no fun or no reason to play over 6000 is imo ridiculous regardless what I score. You are way off with your logic on this imo. Tee yardages of choice are far more about capable distances and only a little about handicap. By your logic a 26 capper should then only ever play an executive course.

And besides all of this, how does anyone know how another has fun. It gets boring to me if iam having a good tee day and playing a short course. I don't want a wedge into most greens and also not using my driver a decent percentage of times. I want a good mix of shorter mid and longer approaches. I think your way off with your beliefs.

I watch more golf than I play. You are 100% mislead. You saying this is your ego speaking.

You will use your driver on Par 5's and Par 4's, no matter what you think. You will also use your 3 woods and Irons from the tee box. Do you think PGA and LPGA use there drivers every par 4 and par 5?

Last edited:
Does handicap reflect shot distance? Are people above a -10 short hitters?

Your distance has nothing to do with it. A person that drives the ball 250 and straight can play from wherever he wants. A person who is all over the place needs to Tee It Forward.

Back