Disturbing trend in cart bags lately ...

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
.. my bag is a couple years old & I'm thinking about upgrading. What I've found is that ABSOLUTELY NONE of the manufacturers bags and the top non-mfg bags like Sun mountain, Ogio, etc make a bag with a side putter tube anymore. There are cheap bags, most notably RJ Sports that are all over eBay that make side putter tube bags, but there are no more Nike, Taylormade, Titleist, Sun Mountain bags made anymore that have it.

attachment.php

WHAT THE #^&*$&#$ !!!! I love having the putter on the side (its so much better than the big oversize putter well in the front top of many current bags) !!! Apparently no one else does. So depressed ... I can't believe I will have to spend a lot of needless time having to search high and low for a new old stock bag with side putter tube.

Curious, anybody else share my love for the side putter tube ?

Attachments

• nike performance.jpg
    nike performance.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have never tried that, but I don't htink I would like it. I like having my putter with the other clubs

I much prefer the separate putter well, and I know your pain about trying to find a new bag that utilizes it.

I absolutely hate the side putter tubes...so no haha. Sorry for your loss though

I agree with this. I would prefer a side putter well on a quality bag. Another issue is the depth of the putter well when it is in with the other clubs. I have a 33" putter and the cover bumps against the top because the well is too long.

I've had bags with it and ones without, and it doesn't make much difference to me. With my new addictions to SuperStrokes, they wouldn't work for me now anyway.

I love the side putter well. My Adams CT 1414 bag has one and I truly do love it.

I've been using a 14-way and just never thought of it... good point though as now that i think about it, i haven't seen one of these in awhile.

Like stated above, with oversized grips the side holders aren't big enough. Prefer the front putter wells

I have never used a cart bag or a putter well, but what is the real purpose? Seems like an awfully exposed area.

Disturbing trend in cart bags lately ...

I have never used a cart bag or a putter well, but what is the real purpose? Seems like an awfully exposed area.

I think it's just easier access when playing. When I used it the putter lived with the rest of the club's but on game day it made it into the tube.

I've got the exact bag the OP posted and I loved the putter tube, except the tube had some rough edges and cut some noticeable lines into my SeeMore midsize grip. Haven't tried to fit the Tank in there for fear of it doing the same.

I prefer it because it keeps the putter away from the other clubs. A cover can only do so much. Its also the only club I'm going to use every hole, save for the rare chip in, so its easiest to get to.

I have a bennington cart bag lite that has the tube. I think the model is 2-3 years old, but I picked it up on Ebay for under a hundy. I have ended up just putting my alignment sticks in there and hanging a towel from them.

Personally, I prefer the big putter well in a 14 way set up so I can fit different sized grips in there. I think the oversized/jumbo grips has killed the outside putter tube on these bags.

I think the oversized/jumbo grips has killed the outside putter tube on these bags.

I think you're right ... so many people have switched to the superstroke fat grips, it appears to have had a direct impact on the manufacture of golf bags & marked the end of the integral putter tube/sleeve. Didn't make that correlation ... makes perfect sense though. It's all the Superstrokes fault - grrrrrrrrrr :angry:

I used to be the same, but an oversized grip rendered mine useless (was a cheapo bag). Since then I've been either keeping it in the putter well of my Ogio... When I'm using a cart bag, I actually keep the putter up by my woods and use the well for my wedge(s).

personally I had a bag with the side putter tube, and HATED it. But different strokes.

Before switching back to a 35" putter, I loved the side well. Now with the longer albeit standard length putter it actually fits in the regular bag for the most part. I do use a cheap HC on my putter as well since I know the velcro is going to get destroyed over time.

I've been using a bag with a front putter well slot for a year now with a lot of use and absolutely no problems to any of my putter head covers.

sorry to disagree but the side putter leaves the putter too exposed for me. The new bags now will have a spot for them and not have them exposed. i don't have any hassles with my Titleist bag or the Sun Mountain

sorry to disagree but the side putter leaves the putter too exposed for me. The new bags now will have a spot for them and not have them exposed. i don't have any hassles with my Titleist bag or the Sun Mountain

Exposed to what?

Never been a fan of "putter wells/tubes" on bags. But agree with some saying that the new bigger putter grips made them become more obselete.

I owned three bags in a row with the putter tube and liked it. My new bag does not have one and I miss the tube.

The real answer is "staff bag" the entire bag is a putter well.

Back