Diving into the world of blade putters after using mallets for decades...

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was over at my sisters house early this week where she has lived in our dads house since he passed 5 years ago. His golf clubs were still in the garage so I decided to grab his old Ping putter circa 1965. He was a good putter as an 8 index at his peak and had the same Ping putter in his bag for most of his adult life. I got it home and put a new “Pro Only” Ping grip on it and started hitting putts with it on my indoor green. I was shocked to discover how well it performed as I’ve been using mallets almost exclusively for the last 25 years. I took it to the course yesterday and had a great day on the greens with it and didn’t come close to 3 putting even though I had a handful of lag putts over 45 feet, one of which was about 70 feet with 10 feet of break that I left 6” from the cup. I only made two birdie putts with it but I left two just a half a roll short and lipped out another two. My regular Wednesday golf buddies said it was the best they had seen me putt all year.

This has me now diving into the world of blade putters which I’m excited about as I have only two other blade putters other than the old Ping I just added in my collection of about 40 putters. One is a Taylormade from 1980 and the other is a fugly Nike so it hardly counts. I just ordered a SL Toulon Austin “like new” from the CPO site for $221 and I’m bidding on a couple Bettinardi and other blade putters on EBay. Maybe I’ve had it wrong all these years limiting myself to mallet putters and their higher MOI. I open to suggestions from all you hardcore blade guys out there.(@Canadan). I’m sure I’ll be adding a handful of blades to my collection in the next month or two. They are a lot sexier than mallets!

YES!!

I mean, what if that's been the problem all along???!

There are a ton of awesome blades and they're nearly as different from each other, imo, as they are from mallets. Good luck!

Last edited:
YES!!

I mean, what is that's been the problem all along???!

They're are a ton of awesome blades and they're nearly as different from each other, imo, as they are from mallets. Good luck!

NO KIDDING! I’m honestly excited to hit putts again and my club has several good looking blade putters that I can demo for a round or two which I will do starting today, lol.

This is a blade putter:
blade putter.jpg

I was over at my sisters house early this week where she has lived in our dads house since he passed 5 years ago. His golf clubs were still in the garage so I decided to grab his old Ping putter circa 1965. He was a good putter as an 8 index at his peak and had the same Ping putter in his bag for most of his adult life. I got it home and put a new “Pro Only” Ping grip on it and started hitting putts with it on my indoor green. I was shocked to discover how well it performed as I’ve been using mallets almost exclusively for the last 25 years. I took it to the course yesterday and had a great day on the greens with it and didn’t come close to 3 putting even though I had a handful of lag putts over 45 feet, one of which was about 70 feet with 10 feet of break that I left 6” from the cup. I only made two birdie putts with it but I left two just a half a roll short and lipped out another two. My regular Wednesday golf buddies said it was the best they had seen me putt all year.

This has me now diving into the world of blade putters which I’m excited about as I have only two other blade putters other than the old Ping I just added in my collection of about 40 putters. One is a Taylormade from 1980 and the other is a fugly Nike so it hardly counts. I just ordered a SL Toulon Austin “like new” from the CPO site for $221 and I’m bidding on a couple Bettinardi and other blade putters on EBay. Maybe I’ve had it wrong all these years limiting myself to mallet putters and their higher MOI. I open to suggestions from all you hardcore blade guys out there.(@Canadan). I’m sure I’ll be adding a handful of blades to my collection in the next month or two. They are a lot sexier than mallets!

Consider a 1W or Notchback style. That is my favorite blade look and seems to be the perfect bridge for me between the mallets and true Anser style blades.

I tried the opposite this year (acquiring a few mallets after blades for 40 or so years) and have found that blades fit me better. A Club Champion putter fitting a couple months ago confirmed this also.

Blades (I play) give me much better distance control and slightly worse directional control. Plus they just look better than some bug on a stick.

You got my interest when I read the word Bettinardi. Which Bettis have piqued your interest?

I know you didn't ask for my opinion like you did @Canadan , but I think a good tri sole newport 2 is the answer to everyone's putting woes. I've been playing with a 009 (anser/newport style head) lately and its just not the same thing.

I'm looking forward to following your enlightenment!

I have a love/hate with mallets haha - They are SOOOO easy to putt with, but harder (for me) to get to a level of significant accuracy. Basically, I know I have to work harder with a blade to make a solid putt, but my experiences also reflect much greater returns when focusing on a blade vs a mallet.

One thing I am very curious about @tahoebum is what kind of neck you select, and what you've been playing previously. While I adore blades, I have been forever trying to get connected with a face balanced blade due to my stroke. As many mallets come in with significant face balance, I'm wondering if you'll end up in the same camp.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion like you did @Canadan , but I think a good tri sole newport 2 is the answer to everyone's putting woes. I've been playing with a 009 (anser/newport style head) lately and its just not the same thing.

I'm looking forward to following your enlightenment!
did someone say tri-sole?

paging @Jman

I played a Cleveland Belicoso blade for years but I have been playing mallets for the last decade and have struggled to settle on one that I really liked. The closest I got was with the Odyssey Marxman but still lacked the feel and instinctual control (best way I know how to put it).

Recently went to Golf Galaxy and hit every blade putter I could get my hands on and the SC Special Select Newport just fit. I did a closet clean out and traded in some stuff I dont use...and a couple rounds in and I can't imagine going back to the mallet.

Sometimes with putting, all you need is a solid stable of putters that are a little different.

just need to look at something new (not age wise but looks wise) to free you up and put a good stroke on the ball.

while I’ve severely downsized my putters in the past few years, I keep my Byron (blade) and a mallet (was a tuttle but now is my ping fetch) to go back and forth when I find myself concentrating too much on steering my putts vs feeling them. Which is when I do my best obviously.

good luck with this. I hope you have more wonderful rounds of putting and don’t feel like you have to make a decision on mallet vs blade. there’s room for all :)

I have a love/hate with mallets haha - They are SOOOO easy to putt with, but harder (for me) to get to a level of significant accuracy. Basically, I know I have to work harder with a blade to make a solid putt, but my experiences also reflect much greater returns when focusing on a blade vs a mallet.

One thing I am very curious about @tahoebum is what kind of neck you select, and what you've been playing previously. While I adore blades, I have been forever trying to get connected with a face balanced blade due to my stroke. As many mallets come in with significant face balance, I'm wondering if you'll end up in the same camp.

A long time ago I used to putt with a Scotty Newport mid slant and that style neck pleases my eye the most. My mallets are almost all face-balanced but I'm honestly not sure if that is the best for my stroke as I do have a slight arc. The old Ping Ball-Namic I putted with yesterday is halfway between a face balanced and toe down and I was hitting my lines all day.

I'm sure I'll figure it out through trial and error. The Toulon Austin I have coming is a plumbers neck so we will see how pleasing that is to my eyes and how well I can hit my lines.

I've gone back and forth many times and I've said this before: For me, I putt much more consistently with a mallet; it's easy to get the ball close and speed control is great; I do make a lot of putts with mallets but have a lot of near misses too. With a blade, I'll sometimes miss my speed or line, but I make a LOT more putts with blades (especially longer putts). If I have a streaky "can't miss" day, it's usually with a blade in my hand.

I started with a blade, but was terrible with it, so I moved almost immediately to a mallet on the advice of almost everyone. Been using mallets for the last 30 years. Last year, though, I started trying some blades again. I really like the look and feel of the Anser-style, but still haven't pulled the trigger on one.

Watching your journey with interest, TB.

I went from a spider because I could hit shorter putts but hated longer putts to a double wide to now the new Scotty Squareback. I love the plumber neck and have had my best year of putting in a long time. I have to really concentrate on making sure I hit the center of the putter but other than that I think you will do great! I feel blades really help me make putts that are over 15 feet where with the mallets I was just more trying to lag those. Not sure why it is, but I seem to have more feel and touch with the blades - or in my case the "blade'ish" putters.

I've always had a lot of putters in my lifetime ... blades, mallets ... you name it, I've tried it or had it in my arsenal at some point in time. But I've always had a Scotty or a PING blade putter (back in the early days) and I've always putted better with them than any other putter. I may go thru struggles at times & I think something else will work (as the corner of the Nut Cave will attest to) but I always come back to the blade. Like last week during a tournament with @JohnSinVA & @JonD I putted lights out with Scotty.
I think you just have to putt with whatever suits your eye & your stroke. Confidence .... confidence is what makes you a better putter. You have to KNOW that the weapon of choice is THE best & it's going to give you the best opportunity to score well.
Go Now ... Putt with Confidence! :golf2: With a blade!

Variable elimination. Golfers SUCK at properly soleing the putter. Truly SUCK.
Close up shots of PGA Tour pros verifies this.

continue using your dads ping, dont stop now! dont change to a different blade! theres some love in that putter with good vibes! doesnt matter if its 55 years old keep bagging it!

in regards to the scotty cameron comments, i thought i really liked the newport 2 but ive since gone to a less boxy look and really enjoy or eye pleasing effect i get from the rounded newport!

I've always had a lot of putters in my lifetime ... blades, mallets ... you name it, I've tried it or had it in my arsenal at some point in time. But I've always had a Scotty or a PING blade putter (back in the early days) and I've always putted better with them than any other putter. I may go thru struggles at times & I think something else will work (as the corner of the Nut Cave will attest to) but I always come back to the blade. Like last week during a tournament with @JohnSinVA & @JonD I putted lights out with Scotty.
I think you just have to putt with whatever suits your eye & your stroke. Confidence .... confidence is what makes you a better putter. You have to KNOW that the weapon of choice is THE best & it's going to give you the best opportunity to score well.
Go Now ... Putt with Confidence! :golf2: With a blade!
I can attest that he putted lights out for sure! How flat do you have that thing bent man?

I can attest that he putted lights out for sure! How flat do you have that thing bent man?
Just 2* .... so 68* It doesn't seem at all flat to me. But when you watch me putt, I'm sure it looks like I'm standing miles from the ball. :ROFLMAO: HA! Whatever works right?

Back