scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
I have several nice divot tools and I keep most in my bag, but rarely do I even use them. Always seem to have tees in my pockets so that's what I usually end up using.

Anyone else similar?

ShortButCrooked

Reaction score
Handicap
Not me. I carry and use a divot repair tool. I find it much easier and quicker to repair divots correctly using a tool over a tee.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I use this one. It is almost a black chrome finish and is just gorgeous. I always use a divot tool. I cannot stand watching people either not fix or fix incorrectly pitch marks. These usually end up being the same people that complain about the conditions of greens.

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I always use mine too. Plus it has a magnetic ball marker so it's two products in one.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine does too Smalls.

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
I use a divot tool when the greens are soft enough that the ball leaves a dent. I usually have to go out of state to find greens like that...........:comp:

AHacker'sHacker

Who is John Galt?
Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
Here are the two I use...

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
This is mine. The only thing I have an issue with his I have to flip the ball marker upside down so it shines a little so it's easier to find. I'm thinking of spraying it with a clear coat to help with that.

AHacker'sHacker

Who is John Galt?
Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
Nice Smalls, how long have you used it? Looks like it’s seen some good use!

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I got it last September. It was pretty cheap coming from their shops.

barruda

For the Love of the Game
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm happy to use my divot tool - the one i currently have in my pocket is from University Park CC.

i-Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
???

dblock305

too busy winning
Reaction score
I always carry my divot tool in my pocket which, like most of you, has a magnetic ball marker. IMO, there is nothing more rewarding in the game (with exception to a hole in one) than repairing a divot when you hit a GIR, and then sinking that birdie putt. :alien2:

Fourputt

Head Rules Official
Reaction score
Handicap
I have several nice divot tools and I keep most in my bag, but rarely do I even use them. Always seem to have tees in my pockets so that's what I usually end up using.

Anyone else similar?
It is NOT recommended to use a tee or any other tool with round prongs on it for repairing a ball mark. They do a poor job of pushing the turf back into the void ( you do NOT lift the bottom of the crater up, you push the sides in toward the center) created by the ball, and are more likely to do further damage to the green than they are to repair it. A cheap, stamped metal green repair tool with flat tines is the best tool for doing a proper job.

I have a great many tools of different styles and designs, but most are really not much good for anything but collector's pieces. On the course I use a cheap tool that cost $1 from the pro shop.

This video is good for showing the proper way to fix a ball mark, even though the guy is a bit shaky on proper terminology (it's not a divot, it's a pitch mark or ball mark). Look closely and you'll see that he uses a flat tined tool.

Proper way to repair a ball mark

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
I have one in each bag (see signature) and use them all the time...I even try to fix at least one more divot then my own when on the green...:thumb:

View attachment 464View attachment 465
+1. My goal as well--fix at least two ball marks per green (assuming there's enough time while my playing partners line up their putts).

C-Tech

Reaction score
Handicap
I was just given a divot repair tool by a good friend. It had belonged to a mutual friend who passed away several years ago. I now use that one. Prior to that, I used a cheap one like FourPutt described. I have a bunch of them from USGA that I get every now and then for being a member, but they are more like collector's items.

jefffann

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I saw Gary Player on the golf channel at a course he designed.He used his putter and gave a demonstration on fixing a ball mark on the green. He stated it healed much faster than one repaired with a divot tool.I've pretty much used what he demonstrated since I learned of it. On occasion if the greens are really soft and I've sunk one deep I'll use a divot tool.The way I've been playing lately though I have no need for either method.

D-Rock

Reaction score
Handicap
scary
I thought this was an interesting read on repairing ballmarks (correctly vs incorrectly vs not at all):

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/gcman/article/2006feb97.pdf
Mighty fine looking repair tool in that article. I laugh every time I see something about a "research center" at Colbert Hills.

I just use a cheap repair tool. I don't think I've ever had to purchasd one. I don't know where I got the one I've been using for the past five years or so. I do remember that when I asked to pay for it that I was told, "Don't worry, it's free if you promise to use it." That's happened every time. Other than that, I've gotten some cheap ones when I played in scrambles.

i-Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
???
+1. My goal as well--fix at least two ball marks per green (assuming there's enough time while my playing partners line up their putts).
Exactly Claire...I tend to see more that need repair each time I am on the green but I need to be conscious of the pace of play...it is amazing to me how many people do not fix their divots on the green...or in the fairway for that matter...:at-wits-end:

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
I use a basic run of the mill repair tool. I waiting for a special occasion (breaking 90) to go get myself a super sweet one.....

AHacker'sHacker

Who is John Galt?
Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
MO_Hacker, please note I simply said these are the two I use. I conveniently left off how often they get used! :D

JPsuff

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Humane
I use this one:

It's basic, but it's cheap (about a buck) and it gets the job done.

-JP

Fourputt

Head Rules Official
Reaction score
Handicap
I use this one:

It's basic, but it's cheap (about a buck) and it gets the job done.

-JP
And that is the type most recommended by greenskeepers as doing the best job of repairing the pitch mark while not doing further damage to the turf.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in