scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
I have several nice divot tools and I keep most in my bag, but rarely do I even use them. Always seem to have tees in my pockets so that's what I usually end up using.

Anyone else similar?

Not me. I carry and use a divot repair tool. I find it much easier and quicker to repair divots correctly using a tool over a tee.

I use this one. It is almost a black chrome finish and is just gorgeous. I always use a divot tool. I cannot stand watching people either not fix or fix incorrectly pitch marks. These usually end up being the same people that complain about the conditions of greens.

seemoredivottool450x596.jpg

I always use mine too. Plus it has a magnetic ball marker so it's two products in one.

Mine does too Smalls.

I use a divot tool when the greens are soft enough that the ball leaves a dent. I usually have to go out of state to find greens like that...........:comp:

Here are the two I use...

CEGTXVQTHJXQM5BZ98R6.jpg
FF_130343_s.jpg

This is mine. The only thing I have an issue with his I have to flip the ball marker upside down so it shines a little so it's easier to find. I'm thinking of spraying it with a clear coat to help with that.

THP7291336.jpg
THP7291331.jpg
THP7291332.jpg

Nice Smalls, how long have you used it? Looks like it’s seen some good use!

I got it last September. It was pretty cheap coming from their shops.

I'm happy to use my divot tool - the one i currently have in my pocket is from University Park CC.

I have one in each bag (see signature) and use them all the time...I even try to fix at least one more divot then my own when on the green...:thumb:

View attachment 464View attachment 465

I always carry my divot tool in my pocket which, like most of you, has a magnetic ball marker. IMO, there is nothing more rewarding in the game (with exception to a hole in one) than repairing a divot when you hit a GIR, and then sinking that birdie putt. :alien2:

I have several nice divot tools and I keep most in my bag, but rarely do I even use them. Always seem to have tees in my pockets so that's what I usually end up using.

Anyone else similar?

It is NOT recommended to use a tee or any other tool with round prongs on it for repairing a ball mark. They do a poor job of pushing the turf back into the void ( you do NOT lift the bottom of the crater up, you push the sides in toward the center) created by the ball, and are more likely to do further damage to the green than they are to repair it. A cheap, stamped metal green repair tool with flat tines is the best tool for doing a proper job.

I have a great many tools of different styles and designs, but most are really not much good for anything but collector's pieces. On the course I use a cheap tool that cost $1 from the pro shop.

This video is good for showing the proper way to fix a ball mark, even though the guy is a bit shaky on proper terminology (it's not a divot, it's a pitch mark or ball mark). Look closely and you'll see that he uses a flat tined tool.

Proper way to repair a ball mark

I have one in each bag (see signature) and use them all the time...I even try to fix at least one more divot then my own when on the green...:thumb:

View attachment 464View attachment 465

+1. My goal as well--fix at least two ball marks per green (assuming there's enough time while my playing partners line up their putts).

I was just given a divot repair tool by a good friend. It had belonged to a mutual friend who passed away several years ago. I now use that one. Prior to that, I used a cheap one like FourPutt described. I have a bunch of them from USGA that I get every now and then for being a member, but they are more like collector's items.

I saw Gary Player on the golf channel at a course he designed.He used his putter and gave a demonstration on fixing a ball mark on the green. He stated it healed much faster than one repaired with a divot tool.I've pretty much used what he demonstrated since I learned of it. On occasion if the greens are really soft and I've sunk one deep I'll use a divot tool.The way I've been playing lately though I have no need for either method.

I thought this was an interesting read on repairing ballmarks (correctly vs incorrectly vs not at all):

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/gcman/article/2006feb97.pdf

Mighty fine looking repair tool in that article. I laugh every time I see something about a "research center" at Colbert Hills.

I just use a cheap repair tool. I don't think I've ever had to purchasd one. I don't know where I got the one I've been using for the past five years or so. I do remember that when I asked to pay for it that I was told, "Don't worry, it's free if you promise to use it." That's happened every time. Other than that, I've gotten some cheap ones when I played in scrambles.

+1. My goal as well--fix at least two ball marks per green (assuming there's enough time while my playing partners line up their putts).

Exactly Claire...I tend to see more that need repair each time I am on the green but I need to be conscious of the pace of play...it is amazing to me how many people do not fix their divots on the green...or in the fairway for that matter...:at-wits-end:

I use a basic run of the mill repair tool. I waiting for a special occasion (breaking 90) to go get myself a super sweet one.....

MO_Hacker, please note I simply said these are the two I use. I conveniently left off how often they get used! :D

I use this one:

divot%20tool.jpg

It's basic, but it's cheap (about a buck) and it gets the job done.

-JP

I use this one:

divot%20tool.jpg

It's basic, but it's cheap (about a buck) and it gets the job done.

-JP

And that is the type most recommended by greenskeepers as doing the best job of repairing the pitch mark while not doing further damage to the turf.

Back