DIY Super Speed Stick Training Weights

nicklongdrive

"It's complicated" with the PGATSS
Reaction score
Handicap
OB
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

So, I figured I would take it upon myself to do some over-speed training before my first Amateur Long Drive competition. But, I was not ultra keen on spending $200 on the SuperSpeed Golf Training sticks. I remembered I had an extra X stiff Tensei Blue with a TaylorMade adapter on it that would mate up to some sort of bolt that I could get at the store. I ran down to the Home Depot and purchased the following:
- M4-0.7x30mm socket screw
- M4-0.7x50mm socket screw
- M4-0.7x70mm socket screw
- 1/8inx1in fender washers (quantity 100)

I checked to see how many would fit on each screw and then weighed them out. They came out to being approximately 80g, 160g, 230g after being wrapped in masking tape to prevent the rattling noise. I am keen to try them and see if the 230g will break the adapter, lol. Time to pull out the SC200 and start swinging!

I would be more worried about the screws snapping. Be careful where you swing them! 😳

I would be more worried about the screws snapping. Be careful where you swing them! 😳

We shall see, lol. I am just going to do the swing training in a field so it can't hurt anyone or anything.

Pretty crafty! I'll be interested to see how they work out.

I made my own set up in similar fashion to yours, using a spare shaft with the adapter. Its worked great so far. Did the weight measurements based on my current driver head weight to get the right % offset and with using locknuts, I can disassemble each to adjust the weights when I switch heads to keep the same % ratios.

You can see in the picture below:
- Big fender washers are 8g
- Mid size washers are 4g
- Small lock washers are 1g each

This gives me a pretty easy way to get to precise numbers.

IMG_20210129_095413.jpg

Last edited:
What thread are the adapters? I have been thinking of picking up some longer screws to pull adapters but haven't gotten around to it yet.

What thread are the adapters? I have been thinking of picking up some longer screws to pull adapters but haven't gotten around to it yet.

0.8 metric for Callaway and Srixon adapters. You'll just have to get a length that works for you. I made mine about 6 months ago and haven't had any issues (yet).

that thing would be a missile if anything ever broke.

Not much difference in weight to actual heads. Just in a smaller, denser package. As long as the right torque is on teh threads when you attach to the adapter, should be fine.

If one has a couple extra old shafts they can sacrifice it’s probably safer to work the weight out and epoxy the whole assembly to the shaft. With the longer screws on adapters there’s a lot of inertia at the end of the screws that the adapters weren’t designed for.

With the longer screws on adapters there’s a lot of inertia at the end of the screws that the adapters weren’t designed for.
That was my thought in my post to the OP, @Tevenor has a much better, compact design.

I’d be scared to death to swing those

A few months later ... how we looking? Everything still intact?

I wish I would have thought of this! I have a boat load of Elkonite scrap from a CNC job at the shop I could turn into something like this. I just do not know the weights it should be and the literature and science of how to train with it.

I bought a clone version off diamondtour. Wish I would have thought of this instead. Have pretty much an unlimited amount of scrap metal at work.

For all that are wondering, they have held up well besides the obscenely large one. That one is definitely bent and makes me a little nervous to use. If you can use a weighting system that keeps the weight closer to the end of the shaft you will have way less of an issue. The big advantage to this setup is being able to use a shaft that is either the same or similar to your current driver.

I'd recommend doing this but like a little welded weight that stays very close to the tip with a screw to attach it would be supreme. I might make some prototypes if I can get access to a welder again.

Back