DJ Says No to 2021 Olympics

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
DJ confirms he will not compete, this time citing big stretch of schedule for him. Last time it was Zika virus.

“It’s a lot of traveling at a time where it’s important for me to feel like I’m focusing playing on the PGA Tour,” Johnson said. He added that he “definitely” would have considered playing if there was more space between the tournaments.

Disappointing, but understandable.

Will be interesting to see what the other top players do both here in the US and from other countries. It's definitely at a tough time in the schedule, but man for something that happens only every 4 years, I think I'd do it.

DJ confirms he will not compete, this time citing big stretch of schedule for him. Last time it was Zika virus.

“It’s a lot of traveling at a time where it’s important for me to feel like I’m focusing playing on the PGA Tour,” Johnson said. He added that he “definitely” would have considered playing if there was more space between the tournaments.
You would think someone offered the opportunity to compete at the Olympics would jump on it. I was listening to PGA Tour Radio on Sirius XM the other day and the topic of allowing amateur golfers to compete in the Olympics, but that a lot would turn it down due to missing out on the money that they would make at tournaments while the Olympics was going on, but I wouldn't think this would be the case, at least I would hope not. This guy has made enough money for me to live 20 lifetimes, lol. But this is kind of interesting. Seems like he is finding an excuse not to each year. I would think he would dominate, but on the other hand, he would be competing against people he competes against and has beat already.

Guessing he will probably not be alone, again.

For a golfer the Olympics aren't the pinnacle. They are probably an interesting event but unless you love the Olympics in general not the peak of golf. I totally understand if you are focused on winning majors that the Olympics might be a distraction. It wouldn't be my position but I have loved the Olympics since I was a little kid.

• Admin
For a golfer the Olympics aren't the pinnacle. They are probably an interesting event but unless you love the Olympics in general not the peak of golf. I totally understand if you are focused on winning majors that the Olympics might be a distraction. It wouldn't be my position but I have loved the Olympics since I was a little kid.

While true, I think for many fans, they long for the thought that while not a pinnacle event for the golfer, they might be for the patriot.

While true, I think for many fans, they long for the thought that while not a pinnacle event for the golfer, they might be for the patriot.

I agree on the patriotism front and I root for the uniform the Olympics today are very different from the Olympics from the 70s particularly for a sport like golf or tennis that has a lot of money involved outside of the Olympics. I am way more interested in who wins the Masters or British Open than the Olympics.

The Olympics doesn't have even remotely the best field in golf given the way the qualification works with only 4 from each country. There will be many golfers left home that could easily win the event.

I’m sure Rickie is available and would do it as long as he can secure some revenue from the commercials. We may not medal, but it’s a fall back option lol.

I’m sure Rickie is available and would do it as long as he can secure some revenue from the commercials. We may not medal, but it’s a fall back option lol.

I don't think that is really fair to Rickie. I don't begrudge him commercial earnings and I do believe he is one of the few golfers that has a passion for the Olympics. I know he is struggling right now so it is easy to kick him but I think this was a bit of a cheap shot.

I can understand that an Olympic medal is not that important to many of these golfers, including DJ. Given that it’s in Japan and where it falls on the schedule, his excuse is a little more legitimate and understandable this time. In any event, I’m still not sold on Golf needing to be an Olympic event.

Do you think patriotism is a drive for Millenials? I don't think many of them care that much. Most research shows less than 40% of Millenials are patriotic at all. Don't want to get into the why's but I wouldn't count on patriotism driving any single golfer to participate in the Olympics. It might drive some, but probably not a majority.

From what I see the Olympics are 2 weeks after the final major - The Open. So his travel would actually be reduced, flying from Great Britain to Japan. The real impact would be to the WGC Fed Ex St. Jude, which occurs the following week. I don't see that as a priority at all. Unless I'm missing something I think the excuse is lame / crap.

he is willing to travel all over when money is on the line - good story to cover up the fact he is not playing for cash!

I don't think the prestige is there for him. He has his eye on a bigger prize IMO. The olympics used to be amateurs only and has taken away from what it is.

I don't think the prestige is there for him. He has his eye on a bigger prize IMO. The olympics used to be amateurs only and has taken away from what it is.
What bigger prize? All the majors will be done by then. Legit question.

Kind of a bummer but I can understand, interested to see which pros will play.

Whatever pull Olympic golf might have had for a player was irreparably damaged by the re-scheduling of the games. But, I don't think it means a player not choosing to play is any more an indictment of his patriotism than a regular person shirking jury duty (a lot more important than Olympic golf so probably not a fair comparison) for whatever reason they can make up and get by with.

30K for teeing off in the WGC FedEx St. Jude's is nothing to sneeze at.

I am not sure if the Olympic will happen this year.

Olympics run July 23rd to Aug 8th.
The open championship is July 15th-18th doubt he would want to do that much international travel, doesn't give him much prep time
WGC St Jude is Aug 8th, doubt he would want to miss that
and all of this leads up to the start of the FedEx playoffs on the 15th of Aug.
Much more at stake for him there in those events then an Olympic medal. He doesn't seem the sort to care about the Olympics IMO.

The relevance of Olympics to golf and vice versa... I am not sure I see why golf should be an Olympic sport.

To me a gold medal would be a prize, for the Olympics that's every 4 years when having a chance at majors that's every year, regardless of what's going on at that time. I think an Olympic medal would be a showcase item on the trophy wall?!

Back