DJ Says No to 2021 Olympics

I believe Webb Simpson isn't interested either...saying he would be focusing on majors.
Quick someone get Webb a calendar.

This may be a blessing in disguise - send who is motivated to do this and let them play. USA got a deep bench and someone will step up. I also would prefer golf was top am only but sadly that ship has likely passed.

And THIS Is why the Olympics should be open to Amateur athletes only... for any sport.

I don’t disagree conceptually but other countries find their way around the rules so you have to make it an open event.

And THIS Is why the Olympics should be open to Amateur athletes only... for any sport.
I completely disagree with this take. I want to see the best golfers in the world competing for their countries and I’m disappointed (but understand) that’s not DJ’s top priority.

While it is of course his decision, I would think being able to represent your country and have a chance to win a gold medal would mean A LOT more then playing weekly to win money.

I can’t fault someone for putting their livelihood above something like the Olympics, but if I were in his shoes I surely would. I would do just about anything to have the ability and chance to represent at an Olympic game. That, to me, would be a dream of a lifetime and worth much more then money.

At first I thought maybe he didn't want to do the international traveling with the way things are and then I remembered he went to the middle east to play for a lot of money.

It's a bad look, but in the end do we really want someone there who doesn't want to be there? US will find some great golfers to complete..

He doesn't have to be there for the start and end of the Olympics, just the golf. Here's the schedule from the PGA Tour's site. There are 11 days from the end of The Open to the start of Olympic golf. That is more than enough time to comfortably travel, prepare and play. I do agree that it would likely mean not playing in the St. Jude. And to that I say BFD.

View attachment 8998121

Not play in the St. Jude? $10,500,000 is better than $35,000 and a gold medal apparently. I personally think the time excuse is lame. That is my opinion. I think $$$$ is what motivates the man instead of country. And that's ok. I guess.

This really shouldn't surprise anyone. I'm in the camp that golf shouldn't even be an Olympic sport. :eek::unsure: Trying to cram it in to the players already hectic schedule, traveling, etc. I wouldn't go either ;)
Given enough time, golf might be removed. Again. The olympics committee reviews the sports to decide which should be included in the games. If they feel golf isn't worth it, then they'll remove it. It's happened before.

Maybe, there should be a PGA tour exemption added as incentive for golfers... come play for the US... if you win, no need for Q school, no need for Korn Ferry... you get PGA pro status for 1 or 2 years. Maybe with that there would be golfers falling over themselves to make the team.

But then I think that would just add to the olympics being another pro sport thing and leave amateurs on the outside looking in.

I remember when the olympics were amateur events... at least for the US. And I'd almost like for it to go back to that... but I think that horse has left the barn and the barn has been demolished and replaced with a Chic-Fil-A. <-- Mandela Effect spelling.:ROFLMAO:

Maybe, there should be a PGA tour exemption added as incentive for golfers... come play for the US... if you win, no need for Q school, no need for Korn Ferry... you get PGA pro status for 1 or 2 years. Maybe with that there would be golfers falling over themselves to make the team.

Usually the top players are playing in the Olympics anyway. So they already are on the PGA Tour & won't be going thru Q-school or need exemption status. It's not like you have the 200th ranked player in the world playing. :unsure: So I don't think that particular incentive holds water :eek:

I know it’s popular to over use the words “Patriot” and “hero” nowadays, but these arbitrary tests of someone else’s patriotism based on whether they want to go to the Olympics are a little much. I’m not going to think less of anyone who doesn’t want to play golf for NBC Sports... uh, I mean USOC... oops, my bad, their country. 😱
The Olympics are run by a corrupt organization, and the USOC and it’s separate divisions are not much better. The entire thing is nothing but a commercialized money grab at this point.
They lost me right around when the Dream Team whipped up on a bunch of amateurs by 50 points a game, and when ABC then NBC turned every US participants story into a Lifetime movie.
You enjoy it? Great, good for you. If I watch an hour of it, I’ll be surprised.

Last edited:
I don't blame him. I don't think Olympics and think golf. If was in his shoes, I probably would do the same, then again I never have been a big olympics person anyway.

I don't blame him. I don't think Olympics and think golf. If was in his shoes, I probably would do the same, then again I never have been a big olympics person anyway.

I am not a huge Olympics fan either and didn't see the need to add golf. If golf has to be added, I would rather see it limited to amateurs.

While it is of course his decision, I would think being able to represent your country and have a chance to win a gold medal would mean A LOT more then playing weekly to win money.

I can’t fault someone for putting their livelihood above something like the Olympics, but if I were in his shoes I surely would. I would do just about anything to have the ability and chance to represent at an Olympic game. That, to me, would be a dream of a lifetime and worth much more then money.
Let's be real, though - none of the PGA Tour golfers who could be going to the Olympics have to worry about their "livelihoods". It's not exactly like any of them are just squeaking by trying to pay the bills and can't buy baby a new pair of shoes. Missing a Tour event or two to play in the Olympics wouldn't leave them struggling to put food on the table in their mansions, or even cause them to miss the next payments on their stable of luxury cars.

I can't help but think about other sports as it relates to this decision. You have NBA players who are have passed on the Olympics as well due to the fact that they played late into the playoffs and its reducing their recovery time over the summer. If it had been squeezed in mid-season like the All-Star break, would it be viewed differently. I think most of us would love to play at that level of golf and represent our country, but I can't fault him for deciding not to due to the dense schedule.

Does the Olympics drug test for golf like they do for track and field?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

I know it’s popular to over use the words “Patriot” and “hero” nowadays, but these arbitrary tests of someone else’s patriotism based on whether they want to go to the Olympics are a little much. I’m not going to think less of anyone who doesn’t want to play golf for NBC Sports... uh, I mean USOC... oops, my bad, their country. 😱
The Olympics are run by a corrupt organization, and the USOC and it’s separate divisions are not much better. The entire thing is nothing but a commercialized money grab at this point.
They lost me right around when the Dream Team whipped up on a bunch of amateurs by 50 points a game, and when ABC then NBC turned every US participants story into a Lifetime movie.
You enjoy it? Great, good for you. If I watch an hour of it, I’ll be surprised.
I'll agree that it was a slaughter with the dream team, but remember... there were several olympics where the US was only sending amateurs against the rest of the worlds' professionals.

Usually the top players are playing in the Olympics anyway. So they already are on the PGA Tour & won't be going thru Q-school or need exemption status. It's not like you have the 200th ranked player in the world playing. :unsure: So I don't think that particular incentive holds water :eek:
It was just an idea. It's never going to happen anyway. Like you said, the top players will go play.

I've never regarded myself as any kind of super-patriot, but I do feel the honor of serving ones country should come before the seeking of personal fame and fortune. I don't really pay the summer Olympics much heed, but I guess if things like basketball, artistic swimming (really?), badminton, baseball and softball, beach volleyball (srsly?), and so on can be Olympic sports, then so can golf.

So, while I won't diss DJ, or any other golfer, for declining to participate because it doesn't fit into their busy schedule :rolleyes:, neither will such players likely make it into my "most liked" list.

As for pros competing in the Olympics: Other countries put professionally-trained athletes on their teams and have been doing so for decades. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
Please tell me this is not some amazing auto correction and give me some even more amazing back story.

Please tell me this is not some amazing auto correction and give me some even more amazing back story.

Wow... just googled it and it's a real thing..... i'm used to hearing "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" (and i'm assuming you are too.) but essentially the same saying/meaning.

Idioms and their unique twists, based on regionality.... go figure....

I'll agree that it was a slaughter with the dream team, but remember... there were several olympics where the US was only sending amateurs against the rest of the worlds' professionals.
Yes, and the US won the gold medal every year except for once when the Russians beat them at the buzzer after a very controversial call.
Let’s not act like a team of NCAA all stars weren’t way better than anything the rest of the world had to offer. All you had to do was watch the “Dream” team run up 50 point leads by halftime to know the other countries “professionals” were nowhere close to being competitive. What those other teams were, was semi pro level at best, save for one, maybe two players.
Our country used the “they are actually sending professionals” excuse to much better effect when we kept losing to Communist countries in other sports, not basketball. The Dream Team was nothing but a money grab by the NBA, USA Basketball, the USOC and the OC. How anyone took any satisfaction out of watching that fiasco unfold is beyond me.

I give the PGA guys credit that the understand that they are independent contractors. They arent blurring some line between am I an amateur or not. They are not. Yes it is awesome to do something for your country but they left the ranks of non-pro a while ago.

Back